cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the defintion of socket and/or CPU in connection with SQLAnywhere 16

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've read a lot of documentation but still not sure about one piece: What is the exact defintion of a socket in connection with SQLAnywhere16. It appears that socket and CPU is used a some kind of synonym -- but is it true? Becuase in real liefe it isn't. you can have more than one CPU at one die, mounted to one socket.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jeff_albion
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

What is the defintion of socket and/or CPU in connection with SQLAnywhere 16

All of the 'processor terms' are defined in your license agreement when you installed SQL Anywhere:

• "Chip" - Electronic circuitry containing one or more Cores, usually on a silicon wafer.
  • "Chip License", or "CH" - The limited right to Use the Program on a Chip in a production environment.
  • "Core" - A functional unit within a computing device that interprets and executes software instructions.
  • "CPU" - The unit of measurement used in the CPU License type (see "CPU License") and the Internet Access License type (see "Internet Access License").  Unless otherwise specified on the Order, for Sybase Programs, the number of CPUs is equal to the number of Processors or Cores on a Machine, and for iAnywhere Solutions Programs, the number of CPUs is equal to the number of Chips on a Machine irrespective of the number of Processors or Cores.
  • "CPU License" or "CP" -.  The limited right to Use the Program on a Server on which the number of CPUs is no greater than the number of licenses purchased, as specified on the Order or reseller order.  The number of Seats that may access the Program shall be limited only by the capacity of the licensed CPUs, and may include internal usage by Seats within the Customer's organization, and external usage by Seats outside of the Customer's organization accessing the Program via the Internet ("Internet Users").  Internet Users may not Use the Program to develop or modify applications or perform other programming tasks, and may only Use the Program in conjunction with Customer's applications.  The license fee payable by Customer for the copy or copies of the Program shall be determined by multiplying the number of CPUs on the Server or Servers Using the Program by the applicable rate, each as specified on the Order or reseller order.  In the event that the number of CPUs on a Server is increased, Customer shall report such increase, execute a new Exhibit A and pay an additional amount determined by multiplying the incremental CPUs by the then applicable rate per CPU set forth in the Price List.
  • "Processor" - means "Core".

A single 'socket' can hold a single 'chip', so I would say that 'chip' and 'socket' are synonyms above. And since you are using an iAnywhere Solutions product, "the number of CPUs is equal to the number of Chips on a Machine irrespective of the number of Processors or Cores", so yes we interpret a "CPU" as a single socket or chip.

Regards,

Jeff Albion

SAP Active Global Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

So did I understand you correct, that having e.g. an i7 quad core it's having on OS 4 cores / 8 threads with hyperthreating activated on one die on one chip on one socket.

Anywhere is treating it with the CH as 1 chip, but only allwoing to make usage of 1 core? So to make usage of all cores it would need 4CH ones?

JasonHinsperger
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

No, your understanding is incorrect.

The i7 is a single chip which fits in a single socket.

If you purchase a chip license for SQL Anywhere, you are entitled to use all cores and hyperthreads on that single chip.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any link to a real defintion of this licence? I'm really confused as I've got the feeling everybody is telling something different

reimer_pods
Participant
0 Kudos

Some years ago like you now I was trying to get detailed and dependable information. So I've started a similar discussion with the same topic http://sqlanywhere-forum.sap.com/questions/1401/processor-licences-for-a-virtual-machine-how-to-dete....

The quintessence (IMHO): in a virtual environment each core assigned to the VM will count as a CPU w.r.t. to SQL Anywhere licensing.

VolkerBarth
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Note: Reimer relates to the licensing on VMs whereas Frank seems to have asked (and Jeff and Jason have answered) w.r.t. physical machines, if my understanding is correct.

And that makes a big difference:

1. For a physical license, a processor counts as one for a chip license.
  2. For a VM license, each core counts as a separate processor, requiring an appropriate number of chip licenses.

As stated, that's my understanding:)

JasonHinsperger
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I am not sure why you feel you are getting different information. What I have posted is correct and is consistent with the definitions laid out in the license agreement.

If you would like to discuss this further, feel free to contact me directly (jason dot hinsperger at sap dot com) or talk to sales.

Jason Hinsperger

Product Manager

SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well... VM is another topic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ah. Now I've got the point. Thanks for helping.

jeff_albion
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

Is there any link to a real defintion of this licence?

The link used to be posted online at http://www.sybase.com/softwarelicenses, but this has since moved.

Just a quick reminder that the license is presented to you during the original installation of SQL Anywhere. If you would like to read it further (i.e. the definition of "Machine" is also defined for the purposes of the discussion regarding VMs) you can re-run the setup, select your language, click OK, select your country and the license for your region is displayed.

Regards,

Jeff Albion

SAP Active Global Support

Answers (0)