cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DS 1.3 Charts will not release the selected Item.

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have problem with Design Studio 1.3 we developed a couple of dashboards with DS 1.2. Now we upgraded dashboards to 1.3. We used Chart selection functionality to filter values on other charts etc. We also using dynamic visibility if you click on a chart it filters another chart and disappears and brings a new chart. To go back, we used a button to clear filter and make the first chart visible.

Now, before upgrading after the chart disappeared and clicked on a button to remove the filters, the chart would release the selected item on itself. However, after the upgrade, this won't work because the chart won't release the selected item. It just keeps selecting even after we clear all filters and make it visible.

I have been searching and trying to find a solution for this, but I couldn't come up with some kind of idea. And in scripts and don't see setSelectedItem or setSelectedValue or reset the selection. etc

1. Create a button with the script below: (BUTTON_1) This will clear the filter and make the chart disappear.

DS_2.clearFilter("0PLANT"); //Map DS_2 to another chart

CHART_1.setVisible(false); //Chart using DS_1

2. Create another button with the script below: (BUTTON_2) This will set the chart visible.

CHART_1.setVisible(true);

3. Click CHART_1 and select item.

4. Click BUTTON_1 to clear selected filter.

5. Click BUTTON_2 to make CHART_1 visible again.

One you click the second button it will set the filter back which was clicked in step 3.

Does anyone have idea on this? How could I reset the charts' selection?

Your help will be appreciated it greatly.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP issued a note for this problem. They said that this behavior will be fixed with DS 1.3 SP1.

You can find the SAP note below.

2027409 - Chart onSelect scripting called multiple times.

tim_allis
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Zahid,

Did you get an indication from SAP as to when DS1.3 SP1 might be available.

We have the same issue as you.

Thanks

Tim

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tim - please see http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1760372

SP1 is planned for Calendar Week 32 (August 4?)

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

SAP is planning to release DS 1.3 SP 1 in  week 32 which is the first week of August if they have no changes in plans.

SAP has offered a workaround for this issue by using "assignDataSource" method like below.

DS_1.assignDataSource("cuid:AcapBgKRD4RMmGX2KJOZlg0", DataSourceType.QUERY, "ZQUERY");

This wasn't acceptable on our side since it resets the all filters in and the views to its initial state because we were using different views and filters inside the views of data sources. If you don't have that kind of things in your data sources, you could use the script above.

In the meantime, we are back in DS 1.2 SP2.

Have a nice day.

tim_allis
Explorer
0 Kudos

Tammy and Zahid,

Thank you both for your replies - I think we will wait for the patch.

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Zahid,

thanks for this Information.

I very angry and disappointed about this as SAP is treating us like test dummies.

How can they dare to release a new version in June and let the user wait for bug-fixes until August ?

The workaround is inacceptable for us.

Thus we have to eat it and wait. I euphorically updated my application to 1.3 and now - as I cannot screw it back to 1.2 - I have to do double work.

Kind regards

Emanuel

michael_ofner
0 Kudos

Hello,

have your rolled back the Server Addin from Design Studio 1.3 to 1.2. Just wanted to know if this is possible and didn't find any additional infos online.

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Before we applied DS 1.3 to our server, we got a back up of our system. After we faced this problem, we just went back to the back up.

But I am sure you can go back to DS 1.2. I think you need to uninstall DS 1.3 first and then you may need to install DS 1.2 back to your server. If I were you, I would get a back up of my system first. If anything goes wrong with the un/installation, you can always go back.

Nice days.

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are 100% right about this. However, if you are trying a new software, you need to be aware of these kind of bugs. All vendors are the same.

What we usually do is that we follow the one SP behind. Let's say if BO has release 4.1 SP3 then we apply 4.1 SP2 Patch XX which is more stable because SAP develops each SP separately if I am not mistaken. This way, SAP fixes most of the bugs in the system.

I know new features are very tempting but they may not be stable to use. I told this to the customer about this before applied DS 1.3 but wouldn't want to listen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Zahid,

Thank you for your quick reply and your advice.

After latest tests we can leave our DS 1.3 Client version and do
further development in DS 1.3 -  but let it run in BO Server DS version

Here this issue isn´t appearing.

So I don´t need to re-install DS 1.2 client and re-do all the
changes.

Thanks and best regards

Emanuel

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

0 Kudos

Hi,

In Design Studio 1.3  (SP0 & SP1), enhancing functionality was delivered with the new ability of the user to bookmark design studio applications and recall these bookmarks within the application. This resulted in changes to the behaviour of charts wrt selection of chart members....

As I understand this, the issue here is really around chart selection not persisting in Design studio 1.2, while chart selection is persisted in 1.3 release.

In 1.2 release, when the original chart is hidden and made visible again , the chart selection is not present when the chart reappears, and does not need to be cleared. In this case the chart is rerendered in its initial state in the browser (no selection).

In 1.3 release, selection within the chart is now persisted in general, this can be seen when a chart with a selection is hidden and made visible. In this case the chart is rerendered with selected member present in the browser. By clearing this selection within the chart, the user is now firing again the OnSelect event. (This causes the chart to be hidden and data source filtered again).

The scripting attached to the chart just needs to be modifed slightly to cover this scenario. The result of the getSelectedMember() func call needs to be checked to see if a valid selection is returned.

For example :

var temp = CHART_1.getSelectedMember("0BC_TYPE");

if (temp.text != "") {

DS_1.setFilter("0BC_TYPE", temp);

CHART_1.setVisible(false);

CHART_2.setVisible(true);

}

The addition of an "if" statement in this case (marked in bold above), checks that if a member within the chart is not selected, in this case no value ("") is returned, and the Data src is not filtered/charts are not hidden & shown as before.

So the issue in 1.3 SP1 is in relation to the persistence of the selection within the chart, which when cleared, fires the onSelect event again (resulting in undesired filtering of data src again).

Hopefully the above scripting will resolve this issue for you....

Best regards,

Brian

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your comment. I solved the problem with your script.

Thanks a lot .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I was hoping this solution would also help in my case - but it doesn´t.

In the main page of a pagebook I was defining a grid with several charts.

If I´m clicking on one of the Graphs (On select)  I´m jumping to another sub-page
(i.e. PG_BK_VOL_MAIN.setSelectedPageIndex(3);) showing the figures of the graph in a crosstab.

Then I´m using button-Panel  which is leading back (On Click) to the charts page where I was starting from.
(i.e. PG_BK_VOL_MAIN.setSelectedPageIndex(0);)

In DS 1.2 this was working properly but in DS 1.3 it´s automatically jumping back to the crosstab page.
Once I selected a crosstab sub-page I cannot jump back to the graphs page.

I was trying to use the principle of your idea:
var temp = my_LE_temp;
if (temp != "")
   {    
      DS_38_39.setFilter("IFILGLETY", temp);
      GRID_LAYOUT_6.setVisible(false);
      GRD_LAY_VOL_GRAPH.setVisible(true);
   }

But this doesn´t work.

I would be very happy if you could give me some valuable advise.

Kind regards

Emanuel

0 Kudos

HI Emanuel,

What version of Design Studio are your working on. This issue was fixed only in release 1.3 SP1, (Sap Note 2027409 - Chart onSelect scripting called multiple times. ).

The above script needs to be utilized in conjunction with 1.3 SP1 release to work...

Bear in mind that the above if statement is only to check that a valid selection has been made on the chart when a OnSelect event fires. If you have cleared the cselection within the chart by clicking outside the chart, then the onselect fires, but getSelectedMembers() function returns "". so in this case we don't want to switch to another container....

Looking at the above script, I am not sure that is exactly the scenario you have outlined above.....

Best regards,

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

We have DS 1.3 and SP01.

We have the scenario that getSelectedMember()  in  the chart always return "". It is not returning the selected member.

I guess your script is not for our scenario??

I have my scenario explained din the below thread

Regards,

Suresh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Brian,

thank you for your advise - we will upgrade to SP1 soon.

Meanwhile I resolved my issue by a workaround:

I used Nikhil Bhondave´s proposal - but instead of TEXT component I used a PANEL component (see http://scn.sap.com/thread/3612276😞

In the graphs page I created panels with "on Click" event using the same syntax like in "on Select" event of the graphs:  (i.e. "PAGEBOOK_1.setSelectedPageByName("PAGE_5" );"

Important here is to set the CSS style to transparent using "background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0);" otherwise it wouldn´t become sensible for clicking.

Thus "on Select" events of Graphs are behaving differently with cache than "on click" events.

But after SP1 upgrade this should be no problem any more... we will see.

Best regards

Emanuel

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Former Member,

Sorry for a late answer. I was on a vacation. Didn't have time to check SDN while relaxing

Actaully, I have the exact same scenario as your. It was working beautifully in DS 1.2 however in DS 1.3 SP0 doesn't work even with the script because chart just fires the onClick event eventhough you clear filters.

In DS 1.3 SP01, the chart does't trigger onClick event, as a result the item seems selected, but it does nothing. If you try to unselect the item, then onClick event is triggered and selects for all items. To fix this behaviour, use the  script below:

var sel_item = CHART_PIE_1.getSelectedMember("ZITEM1");

if(sel_item.text != "") {

PAGEBOOK_1.setSelectedPageIndex(1);

DS_1.setFilter("ZITEM1", sel_item);

DS_1.removeDimension("ZITEM1");

DS_1.moveDimensionToRows("ZITEM12);

}

else {PAGEBOOK_1.setSelectedPageIndex(0);}

If you have more charts then you can do this for the rest of the charts.

I hope this helps you.

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SP01 for Design Studio 1.3 has been released

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I saw it yesterday. Thanks for the update.

As soon as I apply this SP to our system I will let you know the results.

Regards,

Zahid Yener

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Do you know if SP1 is cumulative? Or should I install DS 1.3 Add-on first and then SP01?

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No, I don't know if it is cumulative

Personally to play it safe I would install 1.3 base and then SP01

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

I am sorry to say this but this SP01 is terrible.

1. Performance really sucks.

2. Some of my dashboards cannot initialize. The charts seem stuck initializing.

3. The scroll comes up on legends of the charts when the legend position is on the top. It was just creating a new line in 1.2.

4. It still doesn't release the chart when I select it. However, I doesn't reselect either which is good but when I click on chart to deselect the item, it selects everything.

I will try to find workarounds. If I can't, I will open OSS notes to SAP and probably go back to DS 1.2 until the next SP gets released.

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am sorry to hear that, Zahid

I've loaded a few dashboards this morning

Could you reply with your questions to this blog posted by SAP this morning on the release?

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I will do as you say.

Just to let you know, The problem I mentioned in 2, I found the problem, if I load data sources in the background, the dashboards get initialized however if I don't use background processing then they cannot be initialized. Interesting.

Thanks for your help though.

Karol-K
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

ALL installers for Design Studio are cummulative, you can install any of the installers (also Support Packages, like SP1) from scratch or upgrade from any lower version.

There is one issue in the client if your current version is 1.1 <= SP2, see "Known Issues and Solutions" in Design Studio 1.3 Release Information.

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I just found another problem with DS 1.3 SP01 if my dimension is 0CALMONTH or 0CALMONTH2, If I use these dimensions on the charts and try to filter by clicking on the chart to other components, it doesn't work.

I think it is better we go back to DS 1.2 which is a lot stable and better version. We will probably wait for another SP. I think SAP needs a better testing team.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Zahid,

I have the same problem with dimension  0FISCPER3.

I am using this dimension in the charts and tried to filter by clicking on the chart to other chart, it doesn't work.

Did you get your problem solved?

Regards,

Suresh.

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I found a solution for this problem.

In Bex Query Designer, we had some key figures which their descriptions were defined with "Enter" character. After I deleted that, it just started working

Former Member
0 Kudos

I also have the same problem, therefore most of our dashboards are not working anymore. Is there a workaround or a solution?

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No one has any idea?

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I tried to come up with a workaround the other day, but I am stumped, too.

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no workaround for this.

I set the "On Select" event of the chart with the following code:

DS_1.setFilter("MyDim", CHART_1.getSelectedMember("MyDim"));

And I try to clear the filter selected by the chart

DS_1.clearFilter("MyDim");

It just won't clear the filter selected by the chart. I tried so many thigns removeDimension, moveDimensionAfter, moveDimensionBefore, loadDataSource, reloadData and etc Nothing works. Keeps selecting and selecting and selecting it.This is annoying. We are considering going back to 1.2.

This is definitely a bug.

We opened a note to SAP however, no one has returned for a week now. I don't understand why no one had returned. We opened it with "High" status as well. Our managers are really not happy with this.

I hope SAP sees this problem and fixes it soon.

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Zahid,

Please follow http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/90835 note 90835 to escalate your note higher with SAP Support.

Tammy

former_member184594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

It has been more than 2 weeks that no one contacted with us. They should have contacted with us long time ago. We provided all the information needed in the note you sent me. We opened two massages one Medium and one High. At least, they should have answered the medium massage in the next business day. We are in contact with SAP in Turkey as well, but we haven't heard from any of them.

Our managers are seriously started to think about other solutions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am seeing the same issue in 1.3. Hope some one has a solution for this