Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPM Add-in : Context freezes

former_member224107
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear,

we are on the latest version of the EPM Add-in SP17 Patch 2 , for 32-bit Excel. While working in the EPM Add-in, the context freezes after a while (when trying to select a member with the member selector pop-up box in the context, you can't select anything it is frozen). The only thing you can do is re-start Excel .

Is this a known issue - is SAP handling this bug ? It is really annoying issue.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We had the issue with SP20 . We're testing the SP20 Patch 1

0 Kudos

Richard, please review the contents of OSS NOTE 2073553 .This issue was corrected with the EPM Add-in SP19 just a couple of weeks ago.

After performing the upgrade edit the FPMXLClient.dll.config file located in the installation folder and update the line containing the instruction DelayPaneUpdate: <add key="DelayPaneUpdate" value="true"/>

This should solve the issue

former_member208963
Participant
0 Kudos

hello people,

I can confirm you that I'm Running EPM 10 SP19 Patch 1 and the problem it's not fixed... I have to restart excel everytime the context freezes.

If anyone know a solution or workarround will be nice

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

Thaks for your reply. Just a few questions:

1. What version of Microsoft Excel are you using? We are version 10

2. Is it a Citrix or thick client platform you are running?

3. What service pack did you upgrade from and has this problem just occurred with SP19 P1?

We're still on SP17 patch 2 but we are testing SP18 and we haven't had any problems with context freezing. Now SP19 is out we're suprised and annoyed to hear the problem has re-surfaced.

Cheers,

Richard

former_member208963
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello again, I'm using:

1. Excel 2010

2. Client platform

3. I was in SP 17 Patch 2 and I've upgraded to SP 19 Patch 1 since i've read here about this note

By the way, the report I'm doing has vba macros functionality which changes axix, rows etc...I think thats the reason, I'm modifying/debugging macros right now and it's happenning to me each 20 min aprox.. I will try to isolate the function which triggers the problem...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kermit, thanks very much for the installlation file details. We initially had problems with SP19 and context pane freezing but after amending the config file its run with no freeze problems at all.

thanks

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Robert, we've applied the changes to SP19.1 as recommended by Kermit and it's worked perfectly for us. We've been refreshing the affected reports for a couple of hours without any issue, whereas prior to the change it was freezing. Good luck.

RIchard

MFMTH
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi to all

We've applied SP19.1 and fix FPMXLClient.dll.config file.

Freez problem seem to be solved but, if I try to use "Worksheet Generation tool" I get, always, this error:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

With DelayPaneUpdate set to "false" worksheet generation tool works fine.

Any suggestions ?

Regards,

Monica

0 Kudos

Monica,

I have not experienced this error yet. Have you tried upgrading to SP20? It was released at the beginning of this week, please let me know if this fixes your issue.

Regards,

Kermit

former_member505842
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Monica,

I'm trying to replicate your problem with the Worksheet Generation tool. At what stage do you get the error that you described? Does it occur immediately you click on the menu item or ist it further down the line when you select members etc?

Regards,

Rob.

MFMTH
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Kermit, Hi Rob

With SP19 patch1 (10.0.0.8936) and DelayPaneUpdate option on true, I get the error after member selection, when I click on the OK button used for starting the sheet generation.

I tried SP20 (10.0.0.8993) where  DelayPaneUpdate option is true by default. Worksheet generation tool works fine. About context, it seem to be ok but I need to use this versione for a while to be sure about it.

Regards,

Monica.

former_member505842
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Monica,

Thanks for the feedback. I can't replicate the issue at my end although this may be because of differnces in model and data complexity etc. I'm still looking at replacing SP19 with SP20 on our test environment anyway as there do seem to be a lot of fixes in it.

Regards,

Rob.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wouter,

We have a similar issue.

When we refresh our input schedule more than once (making a different entity selection each time), the Member Selector box eventually freezes. It's fairly random regarding the number of times after refreshing this happens - it can happen after the 5th or the 10th refresh.

Although it doesn't tell you much I've attached a screen shot - essentially this hierarchy won't expand any further than what is displayed.

Like you, we have to close down our BPC session each time. We have BPC v10 SP17 patch 1.

Thanks

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is happening to us as well.  It affects all users.  It began when we upgraded to SP17.

Also, it does not display any error messages, and you can open and close the member selector window.  You simply cannot select a member or expand or collapse the hierarchy within the window.  You need to completely close out of Excel and re-logon.

Does anyone have a work-around or a fix for this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Todd,

So far the only thing we can do is to close BPC completely, as closing the report itself doesn't seem to do the trick.

We are looking to implement SP18 so hopefully this gets around the problem.

Thanks

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Todd,

One thing I forgot to mention is our BPC v10 application is hosted by our IT department but connected to via Citrix. Is that the same with yourselves also?

We are trying to establish whether it has anything to do with Citrix.

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have also been experiencing some issues with SP16+ Epm addin, please test the newest SP 18 it's supposed to have fixed many issues.

Regards,

Hamda.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It happens to us on both Citrix and local application.  So, I don't think Citrix is causing the problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have this problem what you are describing.  Modifying the row or column axis dimension repeatedly (like you said 5 or 10 times) we get error too.  But we found what was a sure fire way was to use the EPMCOPYRANGE function.

=EPMCopyRange("000",TRUE,C27:OZ27)

The parameter for the source range is very large.  Your data does not have to fill in from column C to column OZ.  You can just have a few columns of data.  Just the sourcerange has to be large in the EPMCOPYRANGE forumula.  In this case, from C to OZ.

I've been able to reproduce this instantly and consistenly using this method.   After applying SP18, this appears to fix it.  Although I can't tell which case number in the notes section addresses this error specifically.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for late response but thanks Simon. Not used EPMCopyRange but will look into this.

Like you have mentioned SP18 seems to have resolved this issue and it's also not clear which case number resolves it. Going by most recent post below it appears its resurfaced with SP19!

former_member210696
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Wouter,

Is it happening only for one user or for all of them? Can you try on some other machine for the same user? Does excel show 'Not Responding' and then you need to force close it?

If possible, share some screenshots.

Regards,

Ashish