Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federation/Distributed Model for SAP PI

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Folks,

To begin with this is in reference to an insightful blog by -

We have been planning to consider having a distributed model i.e to have our central instance (PI 7.3 dual stack) running along with a decoupled AEX.

We wanted to run some specific interfaces that are critical to the business and also extract high performance from the decentral AEX. In short, decouple the critical interfaces (run on AEX) from all other interfaces (Central).

So this brings me to the below questions;

1. If we use a decentralized AEX, does this mean we will lose out on central monitoring? We definitely dont want to open two URLs to monitor PI.

2. If we have to reap the benefits of performance improvement, do we really need to install the AEX as a separate host? What does that mean overall? Again, we dont want the instances to run independent of each other i.e once again the emphasis is to have a single monitoring access.

Do share your thoughts on how you see this architecture.

CC: , ,

Former Member

Thanks,

Shabarish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183908
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shabz,

I am glad to reply to your question not sure how much it will help in the architecture point of view.Giving a try

Currently in my landscape we are running all banking and business critical interfaces and huge file size interfaces on Non Central Adapter Engine.Load on central AE reduces and performance increased.

1. If we use a decentralized AEX, does this mean we will lose out on central monitoring? We definitely dont want to open two URLs to monitor PI.

Ans : We have to use two URLs for Channel/monitoring however on same host.Currently in my landscape we do monitor channels in both central AE and NCAE

2. If we have to reap the benefits of performance improvement, do we really need to install the AEX as a separate host? What does that mean overall? Again, we dont want the instances to run independent of each other i.e once again the emphasis is to have a single monitoring access.

Ans : If you don't want to run independent of each other then your AEX for load balancing/performance will be on same host which your Central adapter engine runs.

Thanks

Pawan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

NikiScaglione
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you already check the link to the document that explains how to implement the monitoring using Integration Visibility ?

Monitoring Enhancement

Kind Regards,
Niki

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

for some reason I am unable to open the link. Will you be able to send a copy to shabarish@gmail.com

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Niki. It was an insightful document.

To conclude this thread;

1. As I mentioned before, we are running a Dual stack PI 7.31 system and are looking to have a distributed model with AEX running along with the central - Hope this is not going to be a problem

2. If we plan to move to PO in the near future, i am hoping the distributed model still work.

3. If we install AEX on a separate server to reap the benefits of performance gain, we will have to monitor via two different URLs. Other options to explore for central monitoring are Sol. man and Integration visibility.

Thanks all. It was indeed an informative discussion.

former_member183908
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Could you please update the link.not able download the document.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shabz,

For central monitoring, Solution Manager can be used.  This will allow you to monitor all the PI servers from a single locations.  More information is available from the wiki:

PiMon_Home - Technical Operations - SCN Wiki

AEX and de-central adapter engine should be installed on separate servers to avoid the sharing of the same hardware resources, which defeats your original purpose.  Virtualization can be used to provide the 2 separate servers, but still using the same hardware.

Regards,

William

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Pavan and Li.

Note: In this particular case, we have a PI 7.31 Dual stack instance.

I did think that central monitoring on Sol. man might have to be catered in. Need to see if we have the opportunity to upgrade out Sol. man to support that.

So from a recommendation POV, it seem installing the de-central AEX on a separate server is the right thing to do. I am assuming that this will still mean that both the central dual stack PI 7.3 and the decentral AEX will continue to share the common ESR. Could you guys confirm?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, they will use the same ESR.  During configuration in the Integration Directory, you can select where the integration is to be processed.

former_member183908
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Li,

AEX and de-central adapter engine should be installed on separate servers to avoid the sharing of the same hardware resources, which defeats your original purpose.  Virtualization can be used to provide the 2 separate servers, but still using the same hardware.

I am not clear with the above statements.Could you please throw some light.

If we install AEX and decentral AE on two different servers with different hardware then i assume the hostname will be different.Physically both the server are independent on each other.Both these two different PI instances, central and decentral can have a central monitoring using SolMan.

former_member183908
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shabz/Li,

Why cant we deploy the decentral AE on same hardware where the Central AE is running?Same hostname for both central and decentral diff in the instance no.If your PI version is on 7.3 dual stack to monitor PI through Solman i believe solman should be of 7.1 or higher.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Since the intent is to run certain integrations without interference from others, then those certain integrations will need to have access to its own resources, e.g. CPU, memory.  In order to do so, the server will have to be installed on its own hardware, without having to share the resources.

You can have your own hardware server to  accommodate this.  You can also create a virtual server, e.g. using VMware or other virtualization tools, on the same hardware.

In this installation mode, the de-central AE and central PI engine will have different host addresses.  Solution Manager can be used for centralized monitoring for both.

Regards,

William

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes true. For a centralized monitoring this adds the need of Sol. man >=7.1

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The idea here will be to allow dedicated HW and resources for the Decentral AEX

former_member183908
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As per the recommendation from Li.You can run your Decentral AEX on VM however i think you have to pay the licensing cost for VM.

If you deploy decentral AEX on central instance no additional cost required.