cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report now prompting for Universe Context Selection (COMPARE_CONTEXTS_WITH_JOINS)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My environment is BI4.1 SP2.5. Users have complained about reports requiring the selection of Context when refreshing a report, which was not required in the XI3.1 (sp3) environment. These are reports using upgraded UNV universes (still UNV, not converted to UNX). This is quite problematic as it means they cannot schedule the reports, and often are unsure which context to choose.

After further investigation we discovered some inconsistency in the behaviour of the Universe parameter COMPARE_CONTEXTS_WITH_JOINS. When viewing the parameters in Universe Design Tool, the COMPARE_CONTEXTS_WITH_JOINS is set to Yes, which is the default. My understanding of this parameter is that if a report is using objects that can be sourced from more than one context in the Universe, then it will check and if there is no difference in the generated SQL regardless of the context chosen then the user will not be prompted to select a context (simply because it would make no difference which path is chosen). Sensible, and not quite sure why anybody would want to set this No.

This was tested using a simple query on the universe, selecting objects from two or more tables, but objects that exist in more than one defined context. In 3.1 the behaviour is as expected. However in 4.1 the user is required to select the context on refresh.

Further investigation revealed that by setting the COMPARE_CONTEXTS_WITH_JOINS in the Universe to No instead of Yes, it resolved the problem!

It would therefore seem that the parameter is working in the complete opposite manner to how it should be. We are quite concerned though about switching it to No, worried if there may be other impacts given this unexpected behaviour.

Have also tested this in a 4.1 SP3.1 environment, and the behaviour is as per XI3.1, i.e. it is functioning as expected. So it appears to have been fixed.

Unfortunately we are not in a position at this point in time to upgrade to SP3, so I am curious if there is anyone else out there who can replicate this in their 4.1 environment. I am going to upgrade my Dev environment to 2.6, just to see if it has been resolved. I have searched and have not found anyone else who has experienced this issue, or any discussions along this line, which I find very surprising. I am also in the process of raising it with SAP, but in the meantime, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am using universes migrated from XI3.1 to BI 4.1 SP6 and still have the prompting context problem!

It is wotking fine on BO XI 3.1

I have tested "COMPARE_CONTEXTS_WITH_JOINS" with both values of set to 'Yes' or 'No' and got always the same wrong behaviour.

Any help please?

Regards,

ASma

former_member219634
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Asma

I hope you are fine

This aa bug in BI4.1 SP6 even in patch5

Issue resolved in BI4.1 SP7

Please see Kba below :

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2131899

Best Regards

Ines

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ines,

Thank you

Unfortunately, the note that you have sent is not released.Is there another official documentation released, please?

In these two articles : 2171263 and 2042666 I found  that the problem will be fixed in SP6 however I'm still reproducing the issue under BI4.1 SP6 Patch5

Cheers,

Asma

former_member219634
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Asma

Please click on link below, Kba is released :

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2131899

Best regards

Ines

Former Member
0 Kudos

Super! Thanks a lot

One last question please. Could you please confirm if BI 4.1 SP7 has been already included or will it be included in BI 4.2 SP1?

May I open a SAP case for the follow up?

Regards,

Asma

former_member219634
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The issue is resolved in BI4.1 SP7 : I tested it and I confirm that is resolved in this version

Best Regards

Ines

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Ines for the confirmation.

But next install will be the  BI4.2 SP1 . Can you please confirm that the fix included in BI4.1 SP7 for this issue  will be included as well in SP1 of BI4.2 according the road map.

Cheers,

Asma

alfons_gonzalez
Active Participant
0 Kudos

And I can confirm that issue seems to appear again on SAP BI 4. 1SP8.......

Former Member
0 Kudos

It also seems to be back with BI4.2 SP3.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

It will not Harm if you switch  to NO

The COMPARE_CONTEXTS_WITH_JOINS parameter fixes the issue in which there is incorrect SQL generation and is used for comparing contexts with the existing joins forming the context. When several contexts are possible for a query, the system tests if they produce the same set of tables. If they are identical, it is not necessary to prompt the user

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks, but not quite correct. When setting the parameter to Yes it handles situations where a Universe may have different joins defined between two tables. A useful feature if your Universe has been designed that way. If on the other hand that feature no longer works, then its a dangerous situation.

The universe in question is financial based and the join in one context is using invoice numbers, and in another context using cancelled invoice numbers. If set to No then it will only check the tables in the join, and if they match then a context (or join) will be chosen (not quite sure how, first created, alphabetic, ..) which could lead to very different results.

The point being, this worked as designed in 3.1. This NO longer works, as designed in 4.1.

Note, in my original comments I noted that this is resolved in 4.1 SP3. This is not the case. Haven't checked SP4 as yet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

Users have complained about reports requiring the selection of Context when refreshing a report, which was not required in the XI3.1 (sp3) environment. These are reports using upgraded UNV universes (still UNV, not converted to UNX). This is quite problematic as it means they cannot schedule the reports, and often are unsure which context to choose.

Take for example one universe in IDT

Go the DF

SQl Options

Tell me if the following parameter is checked or unchecked.

MULTIPLE SQL STATEMENTS FOR EACH CONTEXT.

If it is checked it will not ask users to select CONTEXT while running the report.

If it is not checked then it will ask users.

It is the one of the reasons that prompts user to select the context.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The help text is clearly wrong. It specifies Yes as the Default Value then in the narrative claims that No is the default value!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

check this sap note: http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2042666