cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PA vs HANA PAL

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am a freshly minted HANA application consultant, got certified recently.

I have a question here, please excuse me if it is childish. Why do we need the SAP Predictive Analytics tool when we have the HANA PAL built in to HANA? The HANA PAL also contains all the algorithms which the PA tool has, and seems simpler too for someone with knowledge of SQL scripting. PAL + Lumira can be used in a similar fashion as the PA tool. Finally, why do we need the R algorithms, when SAP's native algorithms do the job just as well (SAP website has a rather prominent disclaimer which says SAP does not provide support for R and is not responsible for any (mistakes?)).

Also, why do we need Lumira to display the raw (or analyzed) data when the PA tool can also do the job? I am confused so please help me. What is the best way to learn SAP PA? Shall I download a free trial of the PA tool and print the online help content (which seems excellent for newbies)? SAP press has a horrendously expensive book on PA...not sure if it's worth the money.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'll try to take away some confusion...

Why we need Lumira? Well if you have PA, you don't because PA = Lumira + predictive capabilities.

Why we need PA if we have HANA (PAL)? If you like programming in SQL, you don't... however, if you (or your colleagues or clients) like a (nice) interface, you can use PA.

Why do we need R algorithms? If you're ok with the 'basic' algorithms delivered in PAL, you'll be fine... but, in reality you may need many more algorithms... in that case, you can access them via R. Mind you, the processing is then done on a separate (non-HANA) server and the results are passed on to HANA.

former_member193591
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ashwin,

1) Lumira is a visual intelligence [VI] tool [only visualization tool no PA]

2) SAP PA is VI + predictive analytics capabilities [has the same architecture as Lumira, hence if you instal Lumira, you can't install PA and vise versa]

3) SAP PAL in HANA has more algorithms built in

All three tools are for three different customers;

1 & 2 has graphical interface;

SAP PA has the capacity to run R algorithms [additional options, PA has only 7 algorithms built in, it depends on R or HANA PAL for more; all the more R has more than 5000 algorithms and is open source; SAP might not support you but you will get enough support from R portal];

SAP PA can be connected to HANA online and use HANA PAL;

HANA is an appliance [DB Hardware and software], if you have HANA, and are comfortable in SQL, you could use PAL; and if you need graphical output, you could use Lumira or PA as required

Regards,

Arvind E         

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Raf,

I am a little confused after reading your reply..."Mind you, the processing is then done on a separate (non-HANA) server and the results are passed on to HANA."   Do we have to install a separate server if we are going to use R algorithms in SAP PAL?

Thanks,

Benedict

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am even more confused. Mobile apps are developed using HANA for platforms such as iOS and Android and others. Will the HANA server in such a case be accessed via the cloud? Another confusion- is HANA simply the database for these apps, or will these apps be developed in HANA itself (some people have started using HANA standalone for developing apps for SAP store)? SAP is positioning HANA as a database, and also an app development tool which compounds the confusion

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you would like to use R algorithms that are not included in the PAL, then yes, you'll need a separate R-server (which can physically be a [powerfull] pc), unless that has been changed in SPS08 (I'm not familiar with that version yet)

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

that's not really a question for the PA forum...

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member763230
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi all, where I can download a free trial of the PA tool and print the online help content?

I start new role for data mining for customer service, transportation, material managements using s4 hana

Thank you,