Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One has to wonder

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if there's something which can be improved in the underlying UI when

such an OSS Note is needed

Andy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

KB Articles are always interesting. A lot are fantastic and helpful. Some should not be KB articles. Others, have to wonder if the intended audience should be allowed near the system.

My favourite in my space at the moment is "1907345 - Risk or Function changes not highlighted to approver "

Reproducing the Issue

1. Perform some changes to the existing Risk or Function.

2. Workflow triggers for risk  / function workflow.

3. Request reaches to the Approver.

4. He/she is not able to understand the changes made by administrator for that object.

Cause

This is as per the design.

Love it.. heaps of customers call out their users cannot understand what they are approving and the response is a KB article telling you this is as per design!

Colleen.

14 REPLIES 14

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

KB Articles are always interesting. A lot are fantastic and helpful. Some should not be KB articles. Others, have to wonder if the intended audience should be allowed near the system.

My favourite in my space at the moment is "1907345 - Risk or Function changes not highlighted to approver "

Reproducing the Issue

1. Perform some changes to the existing Risk or Function.

2. Workflow triggers for risk  / function workflow.

3. Request reaches to the Approver.

4. He/she is not able to understand the changes made by administrator for that object.

Cause

This is as per the design.

Love it.. heaps of customers call out their users cannot understand what they are approving and the response is a KB article telling you this is as per design!

Colleen.

0 Kudos

Actually I could see this as a (terrible) entertaining sport.  Can you spot the most absurd verbage and posting?  But seriously, now that you have the attention of folks like Heida Biddle,and Kristen Scheffler from support, suggestions for cleaning up such content can be more easily documented and surfaced.

Thanks for asking about this Andy and provoking some smiles and head smacking.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Again, in case it was missed, the new SAP DS uses interfaces which have their own namespace and interfaces to the data objects.

It is an old product from days long before SAP bought the company and was transported as Z-code and after SAP integration survived as Z-transports as attachments to KB articles.

They are now using the correct PAM and software logistics (a good thing) and their existing customers used to the convenience (and object name collisions and obscure hacks...) of Z-code need to adjust. This KB article in the context of the original problem is IMO perfectly OK if you understand the background of the customer base.

Basically they modularized the information source as there were lots of "how to" requests.

Personally I take full responsibility for this SAP KB note - you will only ever be sent it if you have the problem...

Cheers,

Julius

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Julius von dem Bussche wrote:

Personally I take full responsibility for this SAP KB note - you will only ever be sent it if you have the problem...

Cheers,

Julius

Hey - some of it is my responsibility!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was going to pass the responsibility on to you in the eventuality of any problems... 

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"Just slap some lipstick KB note on it, it will be OK". LMFAO!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Quite likely it is an FAQ  - we have seen enough of the "send me the step by step" on SCN that it is quite possible that SAP Global Support decided to index the links so that they can never again be changed. Pity that the redirect servers behind the domain were not direct linked to..  🙂

Just joking: Not enough folks know about PAM and SAP Data Services are quite new to it and their customers as well. They used to use a different software logistic route but that has thankfully come to an end so some patience with the customers for a while is perfectly OK.

Cheers,

Julius

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

to confirm, I think it's not the Note which is at fault, it's the UI, one must wonder if there's problem with http://service.sap.com/pam PAM UI UX design is a Note/KBA is required to explain to people how to find something in the PAM.

Best regards,

Andy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If they prior never used PAM before and needs to "mind the gap".

Why did SAP send you this SAP KB as a solution? Do you have function groups ZAW* in your system?

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi all,

Couple interesting comments here.  One on UI/UX of PAM and the other on KBAs.

For PAM, I know that it is on list of areas in support portal to update in future.  Always interested in having people get involved in providing feedback/suggestions/comments, so please check out this space and sign up! Usability Study FAQs | SAP Support Portal

For KBAs, there is the ability to rate KBAs.  Right now, it is a 1-5 star feedback process, but will be updating in the future as well to allow for better feedback integration.

Cheers,

Kristen

0 Kudos

Hi Kristen

I noticed the rating system on the KB article (top left hand I think). In truth I have been reluctant to press it as in many cases I don't want to send the message to SAP to stop writing KB articles but to consider what they are writing and question whether the design is the issue and treat is as an incident (i.e. design flaw) and fix it.

On a positive note these articles is it allow us to stop searching SCN and Marketplace (and everywhere else); reconfirming our configuration and debugging the code as we sit there scratching our heads wondering what we have missed. We know it's the design - just a pity it is the design and we can't fix it (easily).

Regards

Colleen

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kristen,

I have to say, I take it all back.

I have just tried the PAM Search and it is working now like it has never worked before.

The last time I used the PAM was about a month ago (and I've been using it since it was first commssioned), and the search never worked properly, but I can say, the search at last is working 🙂  which is excellent.

I can only conclude something has been 'done' on the PAM Search within the last month.

Best regards,

Andy.

0 Kudos

well I bet that is music to 's ears.  And I really appreciate her always ever willingness to engage and to listen...even when there are some "difficult" things to hear.

Thanks for raising these conversations Andy and to Julius and Matt and Colleen and Kristen for participating.  I'm always gratified to understand the willingness of folks like you here to push the envelope and make things work better.

It's a generous act that serves others.  (I know Julius, I'm just a diehard tree-hugging optimist but I do see some of my favorite human behaviors exhibited in the Coffee Corner, not just the ones I slap down ).

0 Kudos

Hi Andy and Marilyn,

Definitely great to hear

Always happy to chime in where I can, and appreciate you raising these topics for discussion!

Thanks,

Kristen