cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR for VS SP9 performance

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

I recently observed a performance boost for the SetTableLocation-method between SP5 and SP9. (The database is MS SQL-Server)

I can't find any Adaption-description in the SP6- to SP9-wiki's. Did I miss something?

BTW. what about SP10, already announced?

Patrick

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick

There are always some tweaks done here and there to improve performance. I know that over the last 9 service packs, we made improvements to how we handle looking for printer drivers, verifying databases, looking for original database connections, handling of parameters, connections to btrieve and dbase, addition of support for MS SQL 9SQL Native 11), etc., etc. Typically I try to document any fixes in a wiki, starting with Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 - Service Pack 1 - Fixed Issues - Business Intelligence (Busi...

All, subsequent SPs are also documented and linked in the above wiki.

As far as SP 10 - soon. Target is end of June, but don't hold me to that. It may slip one or two weeks, you never know...

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks.

It's already good that we see this performance boost from SP5 to SP9.

Nevertheless if we compare the performance from RDC to RAS (inproc) we and our customers realize a regression.

We use amongst others also temporary tables where the table names change because they contain a unique ID. Also the database for normal tables can change. So we run through each report and subreport and use SetTableLocationEx to replace the necessary values - it works, like it did in the same logic in RDC.

Do you have any idea why this logic in RAS is slower than the same logic in RDC?

Patrick

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is a rather broad question as there are so many variables to look after; database client, type of connection, actual code used, etc., and perhaps even seemingly unrelated variables such as printer drivers, version of CR the report was created in, OS, etc. So what you want is a specific use scenario, preferably starting with no subreports and start comparing the performance and tweaking the different variables. Also, what sort of performance difference are we looking at? One minute vs. one minute and one second (not really worth dicing into for that one second(?))? Again a use specific case with precise time differences would be helpful (e.g.; slower would not cut it. Nor would "few seconds to few seconds plus a few more seconds, etc.).

- Ludek

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

To give more specific information:

• RAS via Crystal Reports for VS SP5 or SP9
  • RDC via Crystal Reports XI R2
  • Connection through OLE DB on MS SQL Server 2005
  • the report contains 17 normal tables, 2 temporary tables and no subreports.
    the testdata is quite small, 4 records for the detail-table.
    the report was created in CR XI R2.
  • the OS is Windows 7

some times:

• using RDC:
    - time until finished showing data in the Viewer: 2 seconds
    - therefrom the function looping with SetTableLocationEx: 1 second
  • using RAS SP5:
    - time until finished showing data in the Viewer: 6 seconds
    - therefrom the function looping with SetTableLocationEx: 4 seconds
  • using RAS SP9:
    - time until finished showing data in the Viewer: 4 seconds
    - therefrom the function looping with SetTableLocationEx: 2 seconds

Maybe a question to ask to the R&D departement why there is a difference between RDC and RAS.

PS. if the report becomes bigger the times will increase progressively...

Thanks,

Patrick

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is the timing of the performance on first load of the report, or on refresh? Refresh should have a significantly better performance as on first load the app needs to load the CR runtime and do a bunch of configurations before actually processing the report.

Can you paste in the code used to logon with CRVS SP9?

- Ludek

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

We already implemented a preload of a simple dummy-report in the background when starting our app to load a maximum of Crystal-Dlls in memory.

So my time-values also occur when reloading the same report.

Here my simplified code for SetTableLocation:

Private Function SetTableLocationRAS(ByVal isMainReport As Boolean, _

ByVal uniqueDbValue As String, ByRef databaseRenames As Dictionary(Of String, String), _

ByVal serverName As String, _

ByVal dbuserPassword As String) As Boolean

Dim modifTable As CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.DataDefModel.Table

Dim newTablename As String, newQualifiedTablename As String

Dim oldDatabase As String, newDatabase As String

Dim returnValue As Boolean = True

Dim reportClientDoc As ISCDReportClientDocument = Nothing

Dim subreportController As SubreportController = Nothing

Dim tablesCollectionObject As IEnumerable

If isMainReport Then

' Main

reportClientDoc = _crystalMainReport.ReportClientDocument

tablesCollectionObject = reportClientDoc.DataDefController.Database.Tables

Else

' Sub               

subreportController = _crystalMainReport.ReportClientDocument.SubreportController

Dim sourceDatabaseForSubreport As CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.DataDefModel.Database = _

subreportController.GetSubreportDatabase(_crystalSubReportClientDoc.Name)

tablesCollectionObject = sourceDatabaseForSubreport.Tables

End If

' run through all tables

For Each checkTable As CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.DataDefModel.Table In tablesCollectionObject

With checkTable

oldDatabase = .ConnectionInfo.Attributes.StringValue("QE_DatabaseName")

If .Name.ToUpper.Substring(0, 2) = "XT" Then

' temporary model-table found

newDatabase = ""

newTablename = "##" & .Name.Substring(1) & uniqueDbValue

newQualifiedTablename = "tempdb.dbo." & newTablename                                  

Else

' normal table                    

newDatabase = .ConnectionInfo.Attributes.StringValue("QE_DatabaseName")

newTablename = .Name

newQualifiedTablename = newDatabase & ".dbo." & newTablename

' get new databasename - databaseDrives

For Each elem In databaseRenames

If elem.Key <> "" Then

If newDatabase.ToUpper.StartsWith(elem.Key.ToUpper & "_") Then

newDatabase = elem.Value

newQualifiedTablename = newDatabase & ".dbo." & newTablename

Exit For

End If

End If

Next

End If

' change Connection-Properties

modifTable = DirectCast(checkTable.Clone(True), CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.DataDefModel.Table)

With modifTable.ConnectionInfo

With .Attributes

.StringValue("QE_DatabaseName") = newDatabase

.StringValue("QE_ServerDescription") = serverName

With DirectCast(.ObjectValue("QE_LogonProperties"), CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.DataDefModel.PropertyBag)

.LongValue("Connect Timeout") = 300

.StringValue("Data Source") = serverName

.StringValue("Initial Catalog") = newDatabase

.BoolValue("Integrated Security") = (dbuserPassword = "WinAuth")

End With

End With

If dbuserPassword <> "WinAuth" Then

.UserName = _mainSQLUser

.Password = dbuserPassword

End If

End With

With modifTable

.QualifiedName = newQualifiedTablename

.Name = newTablename

.Alias = newTablename

End With

If isMainReport Then

Try

reportClientDoc.DatabaseController.SetTableLocationEx(checkTable, modifTable)

Catch ex As Exception

returnValue = False

SaveErrorText(ex.Message, "SetTableLocationEx (Main)")

End Try

' Tests the status of the database connection to a table by querying the server to see if a connection to this table is active.

If returnValue AndAlso Not reportClientDoc.DatabaseController.VerifyTableConnectivity(checkTable) Then

returnValue = False

SaveErrorText("", "VerifyTableConnectivity")

Exit For

End If

Else

Try

subreportController.SetTableLocation(_crystalSubReportClientDoc.Name, checkTable, modifTable)

Catch ex As Exception

returnValue = False

SaveErrorText(ex.Message, "SetTableLocation (SR:" & _crystalSubReportClientDoc.Name & ")")

End Try

End If                   

End With

Next

Return returnValue

End Function

Patrick

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd recommend taking out verify db as this will slow things down for sure.

You may also want to see the logo n code as written out by the utility attached to this KBA.

Finally, if you want, you could attach one of your reports here and I can have a look - see what I see...

To attach, rename the rpt to txt, then in your reply hot the "Use advanced editor" link and attach.

- Ludek

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Ludek.

PS. I already took the VerifyDatabase out of the code, actually I only use VerifyTableConnectivity() which produces no delay.

I also took a look on your code-Generation-utility some weeks ago, but there was no improvement to use.

Maybe you can forward my code to your dev-department; if they already made performance-tuning between SP5 and SP9, perhaps they can still boost it up a little more faster..... to attain the speed of RDC...

Patrick

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

FYI: I just tested the Performance with SP10 - there is no difference to SP9.

Patrick

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Could you try with MS SQL 2008 or MS SQL 2012 or MS SQL 2013?

- Ludek

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

I made some tests now with SQL 2014 - no difference.

Did you get a feedback from R&D?

Tx,

Patrick

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick

There is nothing R&D would do with the code sample. And from what I see, there is nothing wrong with it. However, I do have a question;

How is the performance when you run the report in the CR designer? Be it the one in the .NET IDE, or a stand-alone CR 2013 (30 day eval is here: SME Free Trials | SME Software | SAP).

- Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Couple more suggestions I just thought of:

1. Find the clientSDKOptions.xml file in C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86. Change “VerifyDatabaseOnSetDataSource” from “True” to “False”.
  2. Add the String Value "AllAtOnce_BackwardCompatible" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Crystal Reports\Database\QueryEngine and set the value to 1.
  3. Refer to KBA 2003458 - Crystal Reports .NET Runtime application slow to load with no internet access

KBA 2003458 may not apply, or appear to apply, but it will not hurt to try(?) as this may come into play for other reasons also.

- Ludek

0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

You can't compare RDC to .NET, two completely different animals. RDC uses Native WIN32 API's ( wrapped in COM ) and .NET uses the Framework ( wrapped in COM ).

The real comparison is:

• using RAS SP5:
    - time until finished showing data in the Viewer: 6 seconds
    - therefrom the function looping with SetTableLocationEx: 4 seconds
  • using RAS SP9:
    - time until finished showing data in the Viewer: 4 seconds
    - therefrom the function looping with SetTableLocationEx: 2 seconds

I have worked with Phoebe on a few of the DB connection Adapt's and she has improved the Table Look-up and Linking routines, nothing in a pubic Adapt though but aside effect of a DB performance Case.

If you want to see more details then turn on Crlogger, you have the dll just need to add the environment variable:

1553469 - How to enable Database logging in Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010

Look at the details after each connection is made and for each read, there will be a lot of them but if you total them all it may give you specifics on which API was improved.

Also note this WILL introduce performance issues so timings not valid in this case, but it will show the API's we are using. You can compare times between each read and then total each one and see where the improvement is.

I also added timings for PC databases this way ( C# ) but doing the same thing you are:

DateTime dtStart;

TimeSpan difference;

In your ForEach loop add this in:

dtStart = DateTime.Now;

rptClientDoc.DatabaseController.SetTableLocation(oldTable, newTable);

difference = DateTime.Now.Subtract(dtStart);

btnReportObjects.Text += oldTable.Name.ToString() + " Set in " + difference.Minutes.ToString() + ":" + difference.Seconds.ToString() + ":" + difference.Milliseconds.ToString() + "\n";

May tell you if it's those DBTemp tables being used or not also. Possibly you can add more Table Indexing to improve performance also...

Updated Clients may take advantage of the some of the improvements the Clients have added. Try MS SQL Native 10 Client, it connects just fine to SQL 2005 and it is an improved engine.

So it could be improvements in both the CR DB Driver, .NET RAS Engine and crpe32 ( which is where the Table Look up routine was improved.

Don

PS - seems funny you posting a question why performance has improved... lol

PPS - Yes I did see you asking for more improvements

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

If I change the value in the XML-File the code runs 1 second faster but then I got an error:

"Crystal Report Windows Forms Viewer - Failed to retrieve data from the database.  Details:  [Database Vendor Code: 208]"

The registry key doesn't change anything.

BTW. testing in the designer is useless because my function above won't be used. To watch a report in the designer you have to set the table locations before refreshing the report. So it's no longer a generic report.

Patrick

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

And Yes, I'm asking for more improvements - and No, I want to compare RDC to RAS. We have some ERP applications actually using RDC. The customers don't worry about the techniques internally used to print their reports. We want to migrate to RAS to keep up with the times. But when we do this and a customer's report takes 2 minutes instead of 1'10" before, the angry customer won't accept this - time is money, unfortunately in these times...

What I need is, send my code above to R&D (Phoebe) and let them tune it up as fast as RDC was - it should be 50% faster. And this at best for SP11 .

PS. your link does not work.

Patrick

0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

First I have to say the way you are accessing/building access to those temp tables is quite nice. The RDC had a LogOnSQLServerWithPrivateInfo that would piggy back on an existing Open Connection in ODBC and give you full access to the temp tables so it impersonated the same connection user access info.

Search for the KBA, top right corner, they are account bound to my log on info.

By changing that XML file is interesting the error you get, basically you told CR not to verify the database and it generated an error that was returned by the client.

If you search for this error on MSDN you'll find this MS reference to the SQL Error:

Error 208

Error 208

Severity Level 16
Message Text

Invalid object name '%.*ls'.

Explanation

This error occurs when an object that does not exist is referenced. If the object exists, you might need to include the owner's name in the object name.

This suggests some database table or field name does not match with the new DB info you are setting in the report. This will cause CR to add time because it's having to look for and/or up date some field info and resolve the mis-matched info.

Check the Temp Table permissions, CR and the connection you are making may not have access to it on the first attempt. SQL Profiler may give you more info on this also.

You may be able to get around that error by changing your code and log on using a Full DB Admin account, so it has full access to the Temp Tables.

Or check your code, the way you dynamically build the table name may have some character in it causing this error or the temp table field does not match the original table info. May be a field type is not the same as the original field type.

Because this error is being generated have a look a this KBA ( search for it ) also.

1535347 - How to replace database connection information used by a Crystal Reports in a VS .NET project?

See if this API to update the connection info works better, it's basically the same as what you are doing but it will update the references in the report table and field collections the recommended way.

Using the .SetLocation assumes all of the DB info is the same, but it's not. You are using those Temp tables so technically you should be using the ReplaceConnection method to update the report DB info.

Logging on and then setting the location is if nothing except the DB server and log on info changes even when using the EX version of the API.

Don

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

You point it in a good direction. I have activated the CrLogger.

When the XML-Flag <VerifyDatabaseOnSetDataSource> is set to True, the logger states out:

FILENAME         LINE_NUMBER   LOGGED_DATA    LEVEL

.\serverh.cpp           228    Beginning DbServerHandle::logon    20
.\serverh.cpp          3981    adoConnection->Open succeeded: dataLinkFile=,provider=SQLOLEDB,dataSource=TESTSERVER\TEST2014,userID=someUser,password=*****    10
.\serverh.cpp          3993    initialCatalog=TESTDB3,jetSystemDatabase=,jetDatabaseType=Access,jetDatabasePassword=,useIntegratedSecurity=0,includeInitialCatalogProp=1,includeSecurityProps=1,includeJetSecurityProps=0    10

.\ado.cpp              2981    Begin DbMatchLogonInfo    20
.\DbQueryBuilder.cpp    514    Query Targets: SQLOLEDB.1, NativeSQLServer    10

.\DbQueryBuilder.cpp    525    Successfully built query: SELECT...

.\ado.cpp              1650    Beginning DbExecuteQuery    20

.\serverh.cpp          2754    Beginning DbServerHandle::openRowset    20

.\serverh.cpp          2930    adoRecordset->Open succeeded without async option:  SELECT...
.\serverh.cpp          2947    Finishing DbServerHandle::openRowset    20

if <VerifyDatabaseOnSetDataSource> is set to False I got the error:

.\ado.cpp              2981    Begin DbMatchLogonInfo    20

.\DbQueryBuilder.cpp    514    Query Targets: SQLOLEDB.1, NativeSQLServer    10

.\DbQueryBuilder.cpp    525    Successfully built query:

SELECT...

.\ado.cpp              1650    Beginning DbExecuteQuery    20

.\serverh.cpp          2754    Beginning DbServerHandle::openRowset    20

.\serverh.cpp          2914    adoRecordset->Open failed:  SELECT...

.\adocommon.cpp         527    ADO error: 0x80040e37 Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Description: Invalid object name 'TestDB3.dbo.TestTable'

The error not only comes for temp tables but also for normal tables nevertheless server, database and table do exist!

Because our reports are generic reports, we have to change servernames, databases and for temp tables also the table names.

ReplaceConnection is not an option because it won't work on subreports, see my thread, where you stated out:

ReplaceConnection is more for when you change the Database driver, say from OLE DB to ODBC or from SQL Server to Oracle

So what does the XML-Flag or the VerifyDatabase internally make to get the report work. He should only check the tables, but it seems that he updates internal configurations?

I need more background....

Patrick

0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

The error indicates whatever security is being set in code on that temp table does not have sufficient permissions server side.

And to clarify, you are changing the CrystalSDKOptions.xml to enable Verifying or not?

In SQL Profiler what is it telling you when attempting to set location to the Temp tables? Who is the app logging in under?

Did you try using a SQL Server Admin account that has full access?

That error is being returned by the Server so it's SQL Server that is denying access to the tables and not CR.

ReplaceConnection does work on subreports so not sure why you are saying that. I had told you to use the same connection properties as the main report, you just need to set the objects correctly.

Don

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I made some tests with the SQL Profiler. The problem is not the security (I had always the sysadmin-role), the problems are the quotation marks internally used by CR to build the SQL-statements.

With VerifyDatabaseOnSetDataSource set to True, CR builds this SELECT (simplified sample) which works like a charm:

SELECT "xMyTempTable"."TField1", "xMyTempTable"."TField2"...

FROM   "tempdb"."dbo"."##TTempTable123"   "xMyTempTable"

With VerifyDatabaseOnSetDataSource set to False, CR builds this SELECT which throws an error ("Invalid object name 'tempdb.dbo.##TTempTable123'."):

SELECT "xMyTempTable"."TField1", "xMyTempTable"."TField2"...

FROM  "tempdb.dbo.##TTempTable123"   "xMyTempTable"

It seems there's a bug with this flag...

Any ideas?

Patrick

0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

I see you are using MDAC OLE DB Provider and the error is connecting to SQL to fill a Dataset?:

DbServerHandle::openRowset    20

.\serverh.cpp          2914    adoRecordset->Open failed:  SELECT...

.\adocommon.cpp         527    ADO error: 0x80040e37 Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Description: Invalid object name 'TestDB3.dbo.TestTable'

That driver has limitations when connecting to newer server, limit by MS not CR. Change your driver to MS SQL Server Native 10 or Native 11.

Don

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes we are using 'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server' because someone from CR told us some years ago to no use the native client because there were a lot of bugs within. If I remember well when migrating from CR9 to CR XI, some foreign keys where lost - with OLE DB everything went always good.

BTW. the quotation mark bug also happens with the older SQL Server 2005.

I gave it a try and changed my report to 'SQL Server Native Client 11.0'. But I can't make it run with my RAS-library, some new errors are coming and I not have the time to rewrite my SetTableLocation-function for this driver.

A question to R&D: who inserts the quotation marks in the SQL statement - CR or the database driver?

Tx,

Patrick

0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

In older version CR only supported the MDAC version of the SQL client, now Microsoft only has limited support when connecting to newer servers so now you MUST use the Native 10 or Native 11 client.

CR does, we dynamically query the client to get the connection parameters and set them accordingly.

If you make a ODBC Connection and enable ODBC Tracing you can see the type of queries we make.

You can also enable CRLogger, ( Crystal database Logging component ) and see the API's crpe32 is making to talk to the DB.

Search got crlogger and you'll find a KBA on how to.

I suggest try updating the Report in CR Designer first to SQL Native 11 and then have a look at the SQL Statement and confirm it works there first.

Don

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

So I got finally work the native version. But the quotation mark error comes here also. So it doesn't have to do with the type of driver.

I activated the logger and in the line with :

.\DbQueryBuilder.cpp    525    Successfully built query:SELECT...

the quotation marks are already on the wrong place.

I made also a test with the CR Designer 2011. Here both reports (OLEDB and Native) work without any quotation mark error.

So it should have something to do with the .Net viewer (RAS)....? Something for your R&D?

BTW. do you have somewhere an official statement from CR that the MS OLE-DB-driver should no longer be used?

Patrick

0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

PAM for CR for VS is here, but note it's not right, this one needs to be updated SQL 2008 and above you should not use OLE DB Provider or SQL Native from MDAC:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e06b8953-a62b-2d10-38b9-ca71f747e...

This MS KBA notes there are limitations:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms131035(v=sql.105).aspx

Can you attach your report?

If possible can you give me the SQL to generate the Tables being used also? If you don't want to attach I'll send you direct e-mail.

I found it works if you use the Native 10 client, even if nothing has changed in the tables. Everyone I have suggested updating the client too fixed the issue.

Odd that it's still generating the extract quotes, that was a bug before but fixed a long time ago. But could be due to the temp table names. If it has subreports did you update them also? And when updating select each table also, not just the

main connections. That way it's sure to update all references.

Don

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Don

I did some further research.

I shortened now to report to only one little table and let the SQLNCLI11 as driver.

It has something to do with SetTableLocationEx()-method to get the quote error when XML-VerifyDatabaseOnSetDataSource is set to False.

If I set my report in the CR-Designer (2011) to the correct tables and database, I only have to use

reportClientDoc.DatabaseController.LogonEx(serverName, newDatabase, _mainSQLUser, dbuserPassword)

instead of my SetTableLocationRAS() function (see my code above) and the report works, so it has nothing to to with the report itself, and also nothing with the driver (SQLOLEDB vs SQLNCLI).

As soon as SetTableLocationEx() is called once, the quote error comes.

Also when I don't change the props (because the settings were made in the Designer), the error happens. As you can see I don't change any prop here in my test after the clone-method:

For Each checkTable As CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.DataDefModel

modifTable = DirectCast(checkTable.Clone(True), CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.DataDefModel.Table)

reportClientDoc.DatabaseController.SetTableLocationEx(checkTable, modifTable)

Is there a relation between the XML-VerifyDatabaseOnSetDataSource and SetTableLocationEx()-method ?

Could you try your sample-report with SetTableLocationEx?

Patrick

patrick_simons2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Did you find the time to make further tests? Did you contact R&D?

Patrick

0 Kudos

I have not heard back from them. They are busy finalizing SP 11.

If you want to create a test app that emulates what your main app is doing I can test and escalate. Including the creation of the temp table.

Or purchase a support case, if it is a bug you'll get refunded.

Then I can do this full time, SCN issue are the bottom of the list of things to do... And this would take time to set up which I don't have right now.

Don