cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report taking long to generate

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using the crystal report XI with Oracle 11g database...

When i am trying to generate the report from my application it is taking some 3 -4 minutes to generate and the report log shows me the following reasons for delay:

06/15/2014 01:39:52 PM ... Process({User I/F} Priority: 4, user interface)

a RDCReport is invoking OLE method "Export" with arguments: (false)

06/15/2014 01:42:06 PM ... Process({User I/F} Priority: 4, user interface)

Invoke OLE Method "Export" returned:

Please Advise....... Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are a number of reasons why a report might be slow:

1.  Using the "Page N of M" or "Total Pages" special fields will slow down the display of a report - especially if it has lots of pages.  Crystal has to render all of the pages before it will display the first one.

2.  Using subreports.  This depends on the type of section where the subreport is located.  If it's in a details section or an inner group section that gets processed a lot, this will slow down the report.  If it's in a report header/footer or an outer group that gets processed just a few times, the impact is much less.  Every time a subreport is displayed, Crystal will query the database for the data for that instance of the subreport.  So, for example, if you have 100 records displayed on your report, Crystal will run 101 queries on the database (1 for the main report, 100 for the sub reports.)  If that subreport is in the Report header, Crystal will run 2 queries.

3.  Connecting to multiple databases.  Because the joins between the tables cannot be pushed to the database, Crystal will pull all of the data into memory and do the join there.

4.  Joining one or more Commands or a single Command with tables.  Again, the joins to/from the command cannot be pushed to the database, so Crystal will pull all of the data into memory and do the join there.

5.  Using some Crystal functions in the Select Expert.  There are some functions,  such as IsNull(), that will be pushed to the database, but there are others that require Crystal to pull the data into memory and process the filter there.

6.  A large size result set from the database.

-Dell

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Moved to Legacy SDK - error suggests you are using the RDC, deprecated in CR XI R2.

It's been a while but I believe when using the export method the property must be (True):

a RDCReport is invoking OLE method "Export" with arguments: (false)

Is it specific reports taking a long time or just some reports?

Does a new report with saved data also have issues?

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don Williams,

It's been a while but I believe when using the export method the property must be (True):

What needs to be set in crystal report to return this true value instead of false ?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Azeem and FYI;

Neither CR XI (v. 11.0.x), nor CR XI R2 (11.5.x) supported Oracle 11 g.

While you can try the suggestions from Dell and Don, I suspect you will more than likely have to move on to CR 2013.

Not sure if this is of any consequence to you, but the RDC was retired in CR XI R2.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

0 Kudos

That too Ludek...

It was someting like ReportObject.Export(true); Or something like that...

This is using the RDC to export, in CR Designer there was no option to set.

It could simply be if you are on a Windows version that was not supported it could simply be we never tested with future versions of the OS.

Don