Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing measure source

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Did anyone encounter or have similar situation:

We have two different source for one measure: excel and BW. The reason for this is that our client has the data in BW but only from 2014. But, for previous periods there are no data in BW and we need to use excel as a source for a measure.

The problem is dimension that is used for that measure.

The part that is loaded from the excel uses manually created dimension and for the other part (from BW) dimension will come from BW.

How do we combine the data for that dimensions?

We were planning to add up the measure loaded from excel and the measure loaded from BW. But, we are not sure what to do with dimension. Is it possible to do some king of mapping of one dimension element to another?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Petra

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182649
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Petra

You can have different parts of a dimension loaded from different sources. For the part loaded from Excel you just need to make sure that the technical names of the members are correct so that you can load them. The parts coming from BW will not include the other references and will not over write the Excel part because there is no overlap.

Regards

Colin 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your help.

I am trying to load dimension from two sources but I'm not very successful. I import my query from BW (measures and dimension). And when I run the procedure for loading the same dimension, it doesn't work. (dimension is not updated)

But when I delete my measures loaded from BW and then run a procedure for updating dimension it works. New members are added to my dimension. But of course, when I update my BW query my dimension is overwritten.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Petra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Petra,

You say you are loading

"one measure: excel and BW"

and with regards to this Colin's answer is correct. In your reply you state

"And when I run the procedure for loading the same dimension, it doesn't work. (dimension is not updated)"

It is not clear whether your problem is updating the measure or the dimension. These are quite different issues.

If it is a matter of updating a measure then your question in the first post

" Is it possible to do some king of mapping of one dimension element to another?"

can be answered in the affirmative. What you need is a synonym table. They are covered in the help and straight forward to use.