cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desending sort order for prompt dropdown list within Analysis for OLAP?

cgwaters
Participant
0 Kudos

I have an Analysis for OLAP report that uses a HANA calculation view as its data source. A variable is defined within the calculation view to prompt the user to select a value; the values for this variable come from another calculation view.

When the report is opened and the dropdown button is pressed within the Prompts window, the list of values from the variable definition are displayed in ascending order. Is it possible to have the values displayed in descending order? I don't see a means to specify that -- in either the calculation view nor within Analysis for OLAP.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

I've implemented custom sorting in Analysis for Office prompts using two columns in a view - first contain ID (which represents sort order) and second contain Text (set as Label Column for first column).

But it works only if Value Helper is set to the view itself. So if you will found a way to include necessary data to your main View and prompt performance will not be an issue - it may work for you.

0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

I am trying to do something similar in webi, to what you were trying to achieve in analysis for office. I noticed one thing though that the ascending sort of values in the prompt is done on HANA level itself and not at BI layer.

I am trying to find a way of sorting the values at the value help calculation view level itself. Even utilized a rank node in there. The resultant output of the view in 'data preview' is sorted. But, the sorting is not working correctly in the value help window of the prompt, when it is used in an input parameter of another calculation view.

Please suggest if you were able to get the sorting working.

Regards,

Alston.

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moved to the Analysis OLAP space for faster response

cgwaters
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for moving my post to the correct forum, Tammy.

I_MCA
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Chris

Analysis OLAP does not actively sort the members but displays them in the order presented by HANA. Often the default ordering is ascending/alphabetic. It is not possible to change this in A-OLAP but if the hierarchy is defined so that the members are in descending order then A-OLAP should also display them in descending order.

Regards

cgwaters
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks, Ian. You said: "Often the default ordering is ascending/alphabetic"? I'm not sure I understand. When wouldn't that be the default ordering?

Can you elaborate on how to define a hierarchy so that the members are in descending order? I can create a hierarchy on this column within my calculation view but I don't see how to use it so as to affect the displayed sort order.