Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create field based DSO in BW 7.4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are using BW 74 sp7.

I read that in our version when creating a DSO there should be an option to create field-base DSO(as shown in this print screen taken from the blog: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-53210

But in our system when we create DSO we get the following screen which doesn’t contain the structure section.

Does anyone know how can we create field based DSO?

I only succeeded doing it from the BW perspective in HANA studio.

Thanks,

Amir 

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Former Member,

Could you please tell me the Service pack of BW7.4 that you are having..

BR

Prabhith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are now in SP7 but it was also like this before we upgraded in SP6.

We can create field based DSO only when creating open DSO and chose source object as DSO.

Thanks,

Amir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amir,

Filed based DSO feature is in pilot phase, by default it will not be available for every one.To activate it please check the Note :

1922533 - BW on HANA: Piloting of DataStores based on fields

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh.

But where can we check the note?

Service.sap.com tells that the document is not released.

Best regards, Alex.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

It will be available only for pilot customers.

There are lot of new changes and enchancements going on this fetaure thats the reason its not open to all customers.

You have to wait for some more time so that this fetaure will be generally available for all customers.

If you really wanted to see how it works then as a work around, creaae an Open ODS and make it to persist data then system will automatically creates  an filed based DSO.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

When it's will be available for all customers?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm able to create field base DSOs from open DSO. I don't understand the pilot. If open DSO is not in pilot mode and its possible to generate field base DSO through it so why to hide the straight forward way?

Thanks,

Amir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can understand your question but you have to accept the truth and thats how it is.There are many reasons for it , to list a few

There are lot of enchancement going on in DSO and its going to be an advanced DSO as a part of 7.40 SP08.So this filed based DSO may fade away . Currently Open ODS uses this field based DSO internally because SAP knows how to handle filed based DSO and if any changes comes later SAP will adjust it automatically.If we give an option for a user to build field based DSO and later if SAP ask them to migrate it after SP upgarde then it will cost a lot for Customers .So to avoid it its not open for end users to explicitly create Filed based DSO.

But its open for few Pilot customers becase SAP works closely with few customers to get early feedback and develop accordingly.

So the take away is from the 7.40 BW on HANA feaures list you can park aside the feature Filed based DSO.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Former Member,

As the note suggests, you will have to Contact BW Product Management regarding information and prerequisites for the pilot program.

Maybe you can check with Roland Kramer/Roland Szajko, if you need more details.

What I understand from Roland is that the field based DSO-s will not be delivered, instad the Advanced DSO will be delivered.

Delivery of the advanced DataStore object is scheduled for SAP BW Support Package 8 on HANA

BR

Prabhith

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

RolandKramer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

hi, as far as I understood, there will be no field based DSO buth only the Advanced DSO (ADSO) which has now been rolled out with 7.40 SP8.

However, there is no update in the eclipse tools based on https://tools.hana.ondemand.com to install for eclipse in order to design an ADSO...

Where to get this add-on?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

BW modeling tools 1.5 FCS (Patch 00) is now delivered to customers in SAP Service Marketplace.

Location in
SMP:

1. https://service.sap.com/swdc   à Support packages and patches
    Browse our download catalogue
    à SAP NetWeaver and complementary products
  2. SAP NetWeaver  à SAP NETWEAVER 7.4
    Entry by Component à  SAP BW MODELING TOOLS

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh

thanks very much for the information.

I just did install the 1.5 toolset and tried to create an ADSO out of Eclipse but unfortunately, it fails with shortdump  CX_RS_PROGRAM_ERROR in  CL_RSO_ADSO_VERSION.

There is some more information that the error refers to kernel "//bas/742_REL/src/krn/abap/runt/abexcp.c#1".

I am using 7.40 SP8 and HANA studio V82.

Am I missing anything or do I need to wait fo r7.40 SP9?

Thanks & regards

bivision

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You need to apply for a specific note package at SAP to be able to use this with SP8. If you do not want to do this, you will need to wait for SP9.

Sjoerd

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

With SP8 couple notes have to be implemented.Please check the notes:

2067813 - BW Modeling Tools for SAP HANA BW Release Note 1.5 PL0

2070577 - (advanced) DataStore Object - availability in BW7.4 SP08

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

martin_chambers
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi bi vision,

how did you get hold of HANA Studio 82.

I tried this link https://hanadeveditionsapicl.hana.ondemand.com/hanadevedition/

and downloaded the Windows 64 bit version. But that was version 80 and the BWMT 1.5 wants version 82.

Cheers,

Martin

martin_chambers
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh,

its more than "a couple". You have to implement 25 notes.

In fact, SAP warns you:

• "Since there are some cross dependencies between notes and the correct implementation sequence for these notes is absolutely crucial, we strongly recommend to contact SAP prior to installing these notes
    (email to: klaus.nagel@sap.com & rainer.hoeltke@sap.com)"

You could wait until end of November for SP09. But the following gaps will probably only be closed with SP10 in March 2015

• no support of SPO modeling,
  • no support of NLS/archiving,
  • no support of RDA,
  • advanced DSOs cannot be used for planning,
  • advanced DSOs cannot be used for lookups in transformations using new rule
    type "Read from Advanced DSO",
  • no support of direct-update Datastore Objects ("write-APIs"),
  • advanced DSOs cannot be used as template for OpenHub destinations.

To travel hopefully is better than to arrive  😉

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is correct, I actually had to implement a total of 46 notes

Please also see my blog for this:

martin_chambers
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi S.

what happens when you try to define a BEx quey on an advanced DSO if you use field based modeling. Can the query identify fields? Or does that require InfoObjects?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

They will appear as normal fields, only with the name of the ADSO as prefix.

Kind regards,

Sjoerd van Middelkoop

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are upgrading from 7.4 to SP4 to SP9.

Could you please tell me if there are any prerequisite before this upgrade which needs to be done.

Also we would like to use the Advanced DSO feature.But unfortunately the link you gave is says they moved to another link which doesnot open.Please let me know where can I find this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi there,

as sp8 information is now released - there is no information about the "advanced dso" - does anybody know when it will be available for usage?

martin_chambers
Participant
0 Kudos

NW 7.4 SP08 is released?

The last time I looked at the note 2000326 for SP08 (5 minutes ago) it was not available.

Could you post a link to indicate from where you got your information?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP_BW 740: SP 0008  is released on 12.09.2014.

Advance DSO is planned for the upcoming release.

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

now, I'm completely confused. SAP just released a presentation for SP8 stating down all the details of SP8 including the "advanced DSO". However, there is nothing mentioned in the "What's new" release notes concerning the ADSO in the SAP help.

Also, there is no option supplied in the newest BW Modelling tools for Eclipse...:-(

Does anybody know any more about this?

Thx & Regards

bi vision

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi bi vision,

Which presentation you are talking about ,I don't think is there any presentation which talk about the advanced DSO. If you  have any reference presentation can you share the same.

I think you are getting confused between filed based DSO and advanced DSO.

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

martin_chambers
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh

thanks for the info regarding SP08.

By the way the presentation for 08 is here https://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-58173

Cheers,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi martin,

Its a news for me as well, I didn't know how did I miss Lothar post. I still have doubt in this area I will cross check with him once and clear your doubt.

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi  Martin,

I am really glad to see the rush to use the Advanced DSO feature, but we have to hold our urge.

To use advanced DSO  the prerequisite is  1.5 (or higher) of the BW Modeling Tools. BWMT version 1.5 is planned to release in Oct 2014.

And also its recommended to use the Advanced DSO option in SP09. It is however possible to apply the necessary corrections via SAP notes as well on BW7.4 SP08, but contact SAP to do it.

I hope this clears all your doubts.

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh

do you already know the notes to apply in order to get the features ready in SP8?

Thx & Regards

bi vision

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry I don't know ,You can raise  a ticket to SAP for the same  and check.

martin_chambers
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh,

Thanks again for all your up-to-date well-researched information.

A few weeks ago, I participated in the BW362 BWonHANA course. We used the field-based DSO for some exercises. Our instructor told us that we should wait for next really important support package, that is SP08. Because then we could use the Advanced DSO and ADSO would replace all other DSOs and InfoCubes.

When I found the presentation SAP BW 7.4 SP8 powered by SAP HANA and Roadmap | SCN

and read headlines like"Advanced DataStore Object. New with SAP BW 7.4 SP8 - eclipse based modeling experience" and sentences like "Reduces implementation times massively", it became quite easy to get excited.

Now I understand that neither the support packages nor the eclipse client are quite ready. So your recommendation is: "Wait for SP09 - beginning December"?

Cheers,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

:Hi Martin,

You are welcome. To your Advanced DSO usage question  Yes to use advanced DSO feature its better to wait till SP09.

I have one question to you where did you attend the training BW 362 training and do you remember the trainers name.

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

FrankRiesner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh,

Martin asked me to take your question on BW362. I was the trainer, it was an inhouse training with certification at the end. However, it was the same 5 day curriculum which is offered by SAP Education. The latest release is Collection 08 which is on BW 7.4 SP7 incl. the field-based DSO on Open ODS Views, but we are planning already the next collection which will include the ADSO released with SP8 recently. If you have any more question contact me directly, I am the course owner of this training.

Regards,

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Frank

now, this is confusing again. As we can see, no ADSO has been rolled out so far with SP8 (also, this is not mentioned in the "What's new" release notes but in Lothar's presentation...). That's why I'm still questioning whether the feature will be put into some OSS notes or if we really have to wait until SP9 (as our customer has become really careful with implementing notes for missing features in support packages as he did this when uprading to SP5 and had big troubles with them...).

If we have to wait until SP9, can we be sure about the release in November or will there be a packaged SP9/SP10 release?

Regards

bivision

FrankRiesner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear all,

please refer to new SAPnote 2070577 in order so work with ADSO in SP8.

Regards,

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not released unfortunately..

FrankRiesner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I checked and you are right, this note is still in processing. Please check next week.

However, do not expect any major news: BWMT 1.5 will be a precondition as well as some additional notes in order to make ADSO in SP8 working.

Regards, Frank