cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How reputation in SCN changed your life ?

former_member182485
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I can see so many people in SCN is running behind the points and higher badges,

of course there is nothing wrong in  this. As it gives a very good impression in the SAP world.

I just want to know from the you about your experience with SCN reputation and it’s impact in your life.

Regards

Bikas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

How about you share your experience first and what you think it is has done? Do you think SCN reputation is just about points and badges or much more?

I've had been good experience with my reputation because of SCN. But it is not the points or badges that resulted in the recognition - although the points and badges were a side-effect of it.

former_member182485
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Coleen,

Thanks for your reply,  this question came to my mind after a very pleasant incident happened with one of my friends  last week.

He went for a face to face interview for a technical lead position in one of big MNC interviewer looked at his SCN points which he had mentioned in the resume and opened SCN  just went through his activities, blog posts etc. ( I assume ) asked few questions about he replies in SCN ( May be just to verify ) and said no need to ask any technical questions from you, you are through  .

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This explains why many others weep bitterly in the career space that they cannot find a job

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, to stay on the topic.

It did not change my life much, only bit more noise around.

I have to show my daughter the current point level and need to explain why I don't go for some badges.

Further I get a lot mails from recruiters, but I have already a template that I am lucky in my current position and let them know if I become unhappy.

I still can walk through the SAP facilities in Walldorf and nobody recognizes me

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is official now. People do mention SCN points in resume.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you're applying for a job with me, I'd strongly recommend not doing that.

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Bikas

I don't believe advertising points is really a great way to prove technical competency or experience. I look at my own rankings in the communities I am active in and compare to some of the other participants - I rank #1 in one of them but I could easily name three others that deserve the Topic Leader (based on rankings from points) award recognition because of the quality of their contributions.

Did your friend give their total points in SCN or specific domain they were applying for? This they specific over what time frame they obtained and whether it was from answering questions, receiving likes on comments (when possible) or posting documents and blogs? That is, did they advertise the quality (if points could have value) of the points?

I could see value in someone advertising their participation in SCN not their points. Depending on their contribution I might be able to judge their work ethic (do they chase the low hanging fruit, copy other answers, etc or do they write thoughtful responses and respond specifically to the question?). I could even judge their level of experience (do they answer the How to - regurgitate training steps - or do they answer they Why should you/When Should you do xyz type questions - a lot more application and critical thinking required to know consequences of the decision). In a way, searching their SCN activity is like running a Google search to check potential employee's reputation.

It does sound like your friends points were not what go them through the interview. At best it seemed the interview became interested to look at your friend's SCN profile and see their contribution.  However, if I was the interviewer, I would not bypass technical questions altogether for how would I know that the person applying for the job was really the one on SCN contributing?

Regards

Colleen

raphael_almeida
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Well, I do not know if it fits into what you said Manish and Matthew, but post the link of the scn profile on linkedin is a form of advertising as your score?

I confess I left my scn profile link there
matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No. Because I couldn't care less about the score.

What I would object to from a candidate is "look at my score". A candidate saying they're an active member of SCN would be something I would be very happy to see - especially if they weren't just active but actually adding valuable content.

I wouldn't look at their score. I'd look at their content.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mathew, Members,

During the recruitment process, as a technical interviewer - I seldom ask about "past history and things that can bias me" (e.g. I don't want to know about the company they worked for...SCN participation is nothing compared to the earlier. Thus I don't want to know if you participate in SCN let alone your points and badges)

In 20 - 25 minutes interview, I want to decide based on your replies...nothing else.

After you have succeed in the interview, then you can go ahead and let me other things - your past employer etc.

TW

Bikas,

Many discussions have taken place on points and its meaning or importance. It means nothing...it is just a carrot which is placed in front of donkeys...so that they can slog away.

If we see thread from past years (2010 and earlier), many of those members are inactive. But when they were, their desire for points was very strong...in their posts they remarked "If helpful, please reward" etc. etc.

But now (probably) they are not in SCN and probably never look at (or think of) the points they had earner with so much zest and hard work.

Side comment: I donot want to undermine any body, any school of thought; it is just my opinion and understanding

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
During the recruitment process, as a technical interviewer - I seldom ask about "past history and things that can bias me" (e.g. I don't want to know about the company they worked for...SCN participation is nothing compared to the earlier. Thus I don't want to know if you participate in SCN let alone your points and badges)

I believe that is a nice way to send away people that are good professionals, but just fail because they nervous or having a bad day. I don't think you should make an admittance depend solely on the performance during a 1 hour conversation, especially if you have other material to consider.

Bias is everywhere, no one is purely objective.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Joao,

I feel you have taken an over-simplified view and ignored many complex nuances in the interview process which I had described.

After taking more than 500 interviews, my intention is to try and give the best "chance" to the interviewee. Asking to talk about anything in SD that he/she has worked. Their requirement gathering experience, interaction within team and the final outcome etc. etc.

The interview is not to ask and get answers, it is to have a conversation which would help me understand the candidate's communication, clarity in concepts, process oriented thinking. And would he fit the job.

If a candidate is totally nervous, and can reply nothing; then he fails. Simple as that!

He might be anything...SCN "wonder" badge holder etc. etc. Don't add up to nothing.

Tomorrow this candidate is facing the client; he can not totally freeze. Yes, he might have a bad day or the client is not helpful, but this candidate (consultant) has to "hold his own"...and ask for time or give other reasons, but not freeze totally.

Bottom line is a candidate has to convince me in those 20 minutes that he can do his job.

For the record, I do not say that recruitment process is flawless and also 100% accurate.

TW

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Bottom line is a candidate has to convince me in those 20 minutes that he can do his job.

After you believe he can do the job, do you use any other sources of information before making your decision?

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Joao,

After I am convinced the candidate is selected in the technical round. Thereafter the candidate has to pass the subsequent rounds, to get the final job offer.

My role is purely to gauge the suitability at the technical round (Functional SD, communication and interest level)

TW

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I only asked if you used other sources to determine the technical suitability.

I have a different perspective on the subject, if I have information available besides the interview, I will use it. If someone has a SCN profile you can check it to see he was able to deceive you in the interview, if he communicates effectively outside the interview room, if he engages in content creation, all of which factor into the "Functional SD, communication and Interest level".

Maybe it's less interesting if you are pretty sure after the interview, but when in doubt.... everything helps.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Joao,

If I am in doubt and I feel that a second opinion is justified, then I will ask another technical interview with some other interviewer. I will only tell this interviewer I am not sure, I will not give much details.

I donot go to SCN. I believe some one who has participated regularly and consistently in forums will bring that quality into his conversion / interview.

There are some flaws with looking into content created in SCN, it might not be your own, it might be some original work you did years back and have forgotten most about it. You are most of the times giving suggestions and not detailed and comprehensive solutions (designs). But most of all, it is not SCN or anything else...it is you the person who is to be evaluated at that moment.

Typewriter

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is certainly a useful indicator to check the content and communication style.

However if those are not strong but there are lots of SCN points which the candidate is proud of, then you can place safe bets on the person being a "busy fool".

We all know from SCN what it is like to be surrounded by a few busy fools posting links and speculative OSS notes....

Cheers,

Julius

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
But most of all, it is not SCN or anything else...it is you the person who is to be evaluated at that moment.

My whole point is that your online persona shows a lot about who you are. What I do, and what I say online, can't be dissociated from who I am.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Joao,

Thanks for your point of view!

Yes, sometimes your online contribution & you could be interconnected.

But there are many factors - anonymity, different persona online than in reality (bolder, vivacious online, than in the real world) etc. etc. etc.

So for me, in the interview process is what you see is what you get

TW

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would also like to add that from my point of view online behavior can (mostly when negative) show a lot about how people will respond to e-mails (i.e keyboard courage/detachment) which is a dangerous and sometimes misused communication medium.

Problem is that like it or not, e-mails make up for a large percentage of our daily communication.

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

500 interviews. Too much attrition... 😛

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

JP,

witty! thanks!

but we cannot give all the "credit" to attrition

TW typewriter

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

TW

That means you taking interviews for other modules too along with SD. Wow! 500 interviews for lateral or freshers hire means 2 many projects or requirements with your organisation or attrition.

Well, it seems like that is reason we don't see you around in SD space. To much of workload in and around your regular project activity.

Best wishes

JP

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

well it atlest change your life in SCN it self, I hope many of us experiance it while posting in new forum we get such replies by system, below is the latest one i got when i replied to one of the thread in coffe corner

Your reply will be reviewed by a moderator before being added. Your content is being moderated because your points level indicates that you are new to posting on SCN. Keep participating and creating quality content to move out of moderation status. Visit SCN Support for more information or if you think that you have received this message in error. Thank you for participating on SCN!

Thanks

Ritesh

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
many of us experiance it while posting in new forum we get such replies by system

Only the beginners who have registered recently and with less points, will receive such message.  Considering the points you earned, you should not have got that message and you can very well post in any forum you wish to participate.

cc : -    Jason Lax

G. Lakshmipathi 

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Lakshmipathi G

I posted this thread, http://scn.sap.com/message/15186047#15186047

And while replying to one of response my own thread is blocked( on hold to be reviewed)

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, someone has also reported the same

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone

When I started SCN posting points looked attractive to me and I was running behind these points but gradually this points lust vanished and now points doesn't matter for me at all. Points give you nothing but just self satisfaction and recognition in your area of expertise. This thought changes from person to person but for me points give me a smile nothing more than that.

I have mentioned in my resume that I am an active contributor in SAP SD forums. I didn't mention my points or badges and I know this could go against me or it could leave bad impression about my profile. In one of my telephonic technical interview the interviewer asked me many technical questions and I answered all of them. When he didn't stop asking technical questions even after 3o minutes phone call I told him that you can check my SCN profile in SCN and then he didn't asked any question. I don't know whether he checked my profile or not but after interview I felt I said wrong but what is done cannot be undone.

In my opinion giving some privileges or value to SCN points and reputation varies from person to person. I just asked my boss what would he do if some candidate tells him about his points in SCN and he said I won't consider it. I'll ask technical question just to test the knowledge. Though SCN has very strict policies and check & balance over points system but still there could be many users who have fake IDs and they make fake points so it is not a bench mark that every interviewer would accept points with open arms and skip your technical interview. I'd suggest to add in your resume that you are active in SCN and you learn and share knowledge there to be up to date. No need to mention points there. It also looks cheap to me

Thank$

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd suggest to add in your resume that you are active in SCN and you learn and share knowledge there to be up to date. No need to mention points there. It also looks cheap to me

Of course, mentioning points on your CV is stupid (let's say it). A recruiter will be insulted by someone assuming he would recruit based on that score. Even if I defend the points system, I seriously don't think you should put the score on your CV.

Saying he could check your profile I think it's fine. If a recruiter was upset by that, well.... maybe you are better off.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I guess he checked my profile. I am saying this because he added me on linkedin on same day

but he didn't offer me job

Thank$

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ask not what SCN can do for you but what you can do for SCN. (c)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unless there is a "equal" give and take, no system will be sustainable!

You "do" for SCN and SCN does for you.

Many times, I see you do nothing for SCN but SCN does for you.

This is sustainable...but not for long.

TW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bikas,

My SCN Reputation has not changed my life much.  As you can see, I use a pseudonym, and very few people actually are able to connect me to my SCN online persona.

Outside of SCN Reputations, though, SCN has given me quite a bit of personal joy.  Every time I see the yellow or green bar to the right of one of my answers,  I feel that someone (who I will probably never even meet) has experienced a small bit of relief from their earthly burden.  As their burden becomes lighter, so does mine. 

Best Regards,

DB49

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

DB49,

Very nice, philosophical and idealistic

As their burden becomes lighter, so does mine. 

Members,

For the record, DB really wants to help others (it is not about points or other people noticing etc.)

(Long back) In a thread where I was not the OP, I had asked a related question. My post was deleted.

So I thought that my question would not be answered. But I found an email from DB with the answer (and a business example). I was delighted.

Thanks DB49!

With appreciation,

TW

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Super Like!!!

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) I met a lot of new people within the SAP world by answering questions and sharing information.

2) These new people have provided me moments of insight, humor, happiness and sadness.

3) I learned to continually learn and to always consider the otherview point even if I think it is wrong.

4) Based on my reputation and writings, I was offered a chance to write an SAP related book.  I actually "left SCN" for a year to finish that book.  My activity level post book is much different and will never be the same.

Despite all that I never was even at my most active point the top contributor in my area or had the highest "point total" among everyone instead.  In fact my personal goal was to get more contributors more active than me in my area, instead of just being a few.  At one point I cared about the "numbers", but then I stopped and focused on helping and the true rewards followed.

Take care,

Stephen

raphael_almeida
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Reserve one copy of your book for me Stephen when you done

Former Member
raphael_almeida
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Tks Manish

raphael_almeida
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For me, spend my time here studying, help others, learning new technologies, new ways to write a code clean are very helpful for me.

I know a lot of people here looking for points and badges, a way to create status, I do not deny, I also try, but my main focus here is to exchange knowledge and gratification of having helped someone, just as someone in past also helped me