cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports VS 2008 "The request could not be submitted for background processing"

0 Kudos

Hi,

I am going to try to explain this issue the best I can. Please let me know if you need any other information or have any ideas as I have exhausted my resources. We have an ASP.NET application that has highly formatted crystal reports in them that the users can export as PDFs. All reports export without a problem when the application is run off of our desktops. The reports use a sql server authenticated user, executing stored procedures, and each subreport is linked by the main parameter. We are using Visual Studio 2008 version 3.5 SP1 with Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. We have designed the reports in Crystal Reports XI Release 2 (11.5.12.1838) and imported them into the ASP.NET application. When trying to export the reports as PDFs from the development or production servers, we get the error message below for some, not all, reports:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800002AD):  Error in File C:\Windows\TEMP\KeyAccountProfile {9FA5C095-77A2-425D-AC6B-8BB66B435336}.rpt: The request could not be submitted for background processing.     at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.Controllers.ReportSourceClass.Export(ExportOptions pExportOptions, RequestContext pRequestContext)     at CrystalDecisions.ReportSource.EromReportSourceBase.ExportToStream(ExportRequestContext reqContext)

We have cleared the temp directory on the servers before exporting and are still receiving the error. We have installed Crystal Reports Basic Runtime for Visual Studio (10.5.2.0) on both servers. I have identified the underlying issue to one stored procedure/subreport that is causing the report to fail. The weird thing is, when we change the connection to point to development, the stored procedure/subreport runs fine for the report that generates an error when run from production, and the data is the exact same. I have tried rebuilding the subreport but the error still appears even though it runs fine for other reports.

I have been through the document below, and othe similar issues in the forums, but still have not found a resolution. I was trying to use the "modules" application put since this is an ASP.NET application I am unsure of which executable I should be looking at.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/boc/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50a6f5e8-8164-2b10-7ca4-b5089df76...

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Brad Hood

06-26-14

OK.. I did some more investigating on this today. I have found out when I move the sub report that generates the error under another sub report, the sub report in question runs without issue. But when I try and move the sub report that produces the error above any other sub report, the error still generates. Can this get any weirder.... FYI.. there is a total of ten sub reports on this report.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Thanks for your response. After I was getting the sub report to run when I put it in a different place on the report, I figured I would rebuild  the report by scratch going from sub report to sub report. Well to make a long story short the problem went away after the report was rebuilt. The "problem" report was originally tied to a different system that used tables instead of stored procedures. I used that report and remapped the fields to point to the new ones in the stored procedure. I can only assume that there may have been something there that crystal reports did not like.

Thanks again

Brad

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yuck. Don't like to hear about people rebuilding their reports, but I am glad you got it working.

Guess I lost all my money on this one...

Have a great weekend,

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

I am getting same error while printing multiple images (id card).

while debugging error conclusion is that: for specific image it giving error.

If i removed image (record) of problematic photo (actually image is ok) every thing is fine.

when i deleted all the data except single record (which having problem) and go for print (only preview) then i am getting error.

I am not getting what is the problem with that image (stored in sql server).

when i exports the images from database, everything is fine (all images exported properly).

Please suggest for the same..

Atul..

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Atul

I am not sure...

What version of CR was the report created in?

Is the report working in the CR designer?

Make sure the picture does not span sections or goes beyond the report margins and design pane.

See if playing around with printers will help. E.g.; enable the "No Printer" option. Try to set a different printer as default.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

I am using visual studio 2005 and Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005.

Yes report is working properly in CR designer (Main report Preview), through which i can able to print also.

I have checked Picture object which not going beyond the report (it is in center of the report).

Also i tried with "No printer" option & also changed default printer, i am getting same error.

I am showing crystal report in Crystal report viewer.

-Atul

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So it is one and one picture causing the issue? Other pictures work?

See if SP 1 will help:

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, only because of on picture it giving error.

Because whenever i am going to print, at certain page number it gives error.

So i removed that data and tried & it works fine.

I also tried only single data (by removing all the data except one) then it gives error.

I already installed SP1 (as per your previous posts:in2008) but issue is the same..

-Atul..

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I suppose if this is the only picture that is giving the error, what is the difference between it and other pictures that work? E.g.; resolution, size, type, etc. Does the image work in stand alone version of CR? E.g.; CR 2013?

SME Free Trials | SME Software | SAP

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Picture (image) is same as per the other images.

While design view in crystal reports when i click in "Main Report Preview" it shows properly, also i am able to print (using "Print Report" option") the image.

I have not tried it on stand alone version of CR.

-Atul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is your picture (jpg) saved in CMYK mode. According to this article, Crystel Reports can only handle jpg files in RGB mode.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Brad

I'm not sure that Modules would show us anything in this case, so let's try a few other things:

1) Make sure you are using SP 1 for Crystal Reports Basic Runtime for Visual Studio:

2) Seeing as this works on dev, this may be some db inconsistency so enabling the report option "Verify on 1st Print" will be a good idea.

3) Double check the database client and make sure the same client is used on dev and deployed systems. Actually I take back my Modules negative as this is where it may prove useful. Once you have the Modules logs, look at who is loading the crpe32.dll, then look at that process and see the client dlls.

4) Check the printer driver; see if there are any updates. Try a different printer driver.

Ten subreports is not too bad, though not that good either as you are loading the report engine with at minimum 11 simultaneous reports (each subreport is considered to be a report). If a subreport is in a details section and the details section returns a 100 records, you are running 100 + 1 reports. This may lead to memory issues, which may lead to the error.

If I was a betting man, I'd put most of my money on the printer driver (based on your last addition to your post). What ever money I had left would go to some database issue (be it actual data or client related).

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter