Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RDS Vs HANA LIVE

former_member209912
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Team

Request admin team not to remove this discussion because i am posting this question after going through relevant threads.

I need your help. I had gone through various discussions on RDS and HANA Live, i am little confused. please help me to come out of my confusion.

As per my understanding RDS is Rapid Deployment Solution and it is a predifined solution given by SAP.  The predifined solution is given in the form of 4 files in the RDS solution as .ATL file ( it contains all predifined ETL solution), .TGZ file (It contains all predifined views like attribute view, analytical view and calculation view based on the solution) and .LCMBIAR file (It contains all predined universes and reports) and finally a Design document.

As per my understanding HANA Live is the HANA content avialable only in the form of calculation view.

So i request you to please look into the below questions and clarify me according.

1. If RDS is the predifined solution then what is HANA LIVE, is it also a predifined solution? please clarify..

2. RDS is having all views based on the solution but HANA LIVE contains only calculation views, why it is having only calculation views.. please clarify.

3. I understand RDS content can be customize, so is it the same with HANA live( I mean can  i create analytical views or attribute views if required) .. please clarify..

Please check and correct me if my understanding is wrong. I am confused about RDS and HANA LIVE differences.. please clarify and pull me out of confusion.

Regards

Raj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Have tried to answer your queries :

1. If RDS is the predefined solution then what is HANA LIVE, is it also a predefined solution? please clarify.

SAP Rapid Deployment solutions (RDS) enable low total cost of implementation by providing a ready-to-consume combination of SAP software, Best Practices(Content delivering guidance and configuration for best business and implementation practices) and SAP predefined services: Predefined from partners and SAP

So, RDS solutions are available in many product areas of SAP, same is available at

http://service.sap.com/rds

SAP HANA Live has a Comprehensive set of Virtual Data Models (VDMs), which are structured representation of operational data organized by SAP Business Suite application that helps to build operational reporting. These models contain all necessary joins and transformations to turn the data in database into meaningful information. So, during custom reporting requirements, if we use the readily available views as part of HANA Live, it helps us to save the Total effort as the views can be used as they are (if they meet requirements) else, one can enhance the virtual data models delivered by SAP or create your own models by adding, removing or renaming fields, creating joins, or adjusting the views to select only relevant fields needed for your analysis.

SAP HANA Live is a separate solution while SAP HANA Live RDS is an RDS for HANA Live, that has some predefined content, some basic configurations required to make use of this content , with best practices enablement content and fixed-scope and fixed-timeline service offering. This RDS is created mostly from the reporting tool perspective, and does not have all the views released as part of HANA Live.

2. RDS is having all views based on the solution but HANA LIVE contains only calculation views, why it is having only calculation views.. please clarify.

RDS has Views, some basic config (if required) and other best practices as part of service offering with fixed scope, fixed time line. HANA Live has views modeled based on the most common query requirements. These VDMs of HANA Live are categorized as Query views (which can be consumed directly), Re-use views (can be altered and re-used) and Private views (these generally work on Physical tables and hence should not be altered ) . So, based on the complexity, and re-usability SAP has created them as Calculation views.

3. I understand RDS content can be customize, so is it the same with HANA live( I mean can  i create analytical views or attribute views if required) .. please clarify..

HANA live content can also be Customized (actually extensions) - VDMs delivered by SAP can be enhanced (by making copy into custom name space) or we create our own models by adding, removing or renaming fields, creating joins, or adjusting the views to select only relevant fields needed for your analysis. these can be implemented based on the design - attribure/analytic views can be created based on what needs to be done .. .

Regards,

Suma

former_member209912
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Suma

Thank you very much for your replies.. i am happy now and i understood the concept very well.

once again thank you for your time to reply me.

Regards

Raj

former_member185165
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Suma,

Any idea if there are pre-configured reports on top of HANA live models by SAP.

Which can be deployed on top these models and reporting could be done, without investing much time.

Thanks & Regards,

Vijay

0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

HANA Live RDS should help here . It has some pre-configured BI reports and Analytics delivered from BO side consuming these VDMs of HANA Live.

However , with HANA Live, query views and Re-use views (part of VDMs) can be readily consumed by any BO reporting tool (without any extra custom extensions) as they have the Multi Dimensional Reporting flag checked. This flag exposes the view for external consumption.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Suma

Answers (0)