cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PD 16.5 SP03 PL01 Error Messages and Slowness

Former Member
0 Kudos

Questions on Power Designer slowness and errors.

(1) My tool responds very slowly. If I am working on a tool for more than an hour, it becomes very slow to respond.

(2) Since last one week, I can't reverse engineer 10-15 views/tables at the same time. Output says reverse engineering successful but then my PD doesn't show anything on the screen and it freezes up and then I have to restart.

(3) I get following error messages again and again. 

Error 1: "The user *************** no longer exists in the repository. Another user may have deleted it."

Error 2: "PDShell16.exe has stopped working."  This error message just shuts off my PD and everything unsaved is gone.

Error 3: "Unexpected exception." This is also very annoying message I am getting everyday and PD just stops working. 

Has anyone experienced any of these?

P.S.: I checked CPU memory usage and PD was using 1.6GB and I wasn't working with a big model.

Thanks,
Perry

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Errors 2 and 3 are side effects of SP03, I'm afraid, which we're told will soon be fixed in patch level (PL) 04. I reverted to SP02 because of these problems. See my discussion called "Problems with SP03, anyone?".

What are you doing when you see Error 1?

Former Member
0 Kudos

George,

Thank you for your quick response.

For error 1, I just hit ok and continue my work. It appears again and again, but I don't have any solution for it. Sometimes, I would just restart PD.

--Perry.

marc_ledier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

The Error 3 should be -- at least 90% -- fixed in the PL03 that just came out our labs.

The issue was internally identified with CR#765672.

Same question about Error 1 : Could you be more specific ? Can the user connect "sometimes" ?

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, I can connect to Repository and I am able to check out models as well. But somehow I get this error message; don't know what it means.

marc_ledier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Is the repository user internal or external (ldap) ?

Does it happen to other users as well ?

is the repository a new one from 16.5.3 or an upgraded one from another version ?

Did you contact support ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marc,

(1) We are using Proxy connection to access Repository.

(2) I know one more colleague for sure, but so far it's only two of us I know.

(3) It is the new one from 1605.3.

(4) I did not contact support.

Thanks,

Perry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you ever find a resolution to this? I have one individual that is getting this same error on 16.5.4.3, but he also had the same issues on 16.1.   Our 16.5 install was completely new, with the exception of the repository database, which was copied to a new database and upgraded.  We are also running through the proxy since the SQL Server is behind a firewall. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

I still have an open case on duplicate users in the repository.  I have seen where a user id is case sensitive, and the LDAP is not case sensitive, so a duplicate user gets created when using external logins/LDAP with automatic add, one with the uppercase id, one with the lowercase id, both of which were validated by LDAP.  In addition, I see that sometimes the fullname for a user gets replaced with the login name, seemingly randomly. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

I get the same error at startup of PD in version 16.5 SP02.

PD won't even start anymore. I always get this "PDShell16.exe has stopped working".

I am running PD from a Windows 7 virtual machine. De-installation and re-installation did not fix the issue.

Btw. the download site seems to be down / have an issue. At least the one I am using:

https://powertam.wdf.sap.corp/

Former Member
0 Kudos

Goto here

At the end you have the correct Web site to download.

Bye

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Benoit!

Downloading now.

Btw. concerning the PD crashes: it turned out to be a problem with hardware accelerated graphics.

I ran PD from a Windows Virtual Machine using VMWare Fusion.

VMWare Fusion supports hardware accelerated graphics in the VM - if and only if you the VMWare tools running inside the VM are properly corresponding to the VMWare Fusion version hosting the VM.

For me this was not the case, since the VMWare tools did not properly auto-update.

As a result, with 3D hardware acceleration activated in the VMWare Fusion Settings, every program that potentially makes use of hardware accelerated graphics (PD, Visio, Internet Explorer etc.) crashed.

Not sure this helps anyone out there. But if you are facing PD crashes and also face crashes of other programs like Internet Explorer or Visio, malfunctioning hardware acceleration might be the cause of it.

Cheers,

Florian