SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to enter the Suppliers code

former_member542334
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

I have an issue concerning where to put in MM41 the bar-code number of a certain goods.

Our SAP system was configured only to automatically generate article numbers (serial) it does not accept external numbers of 13 digits.

My company is venturing into a new business which is a Grocery store and we need to create a material master record and at the same time enter the barcode number of the goods. We will use this bar-code number in the POS.

I am checking the GTIN/EAN field in the material master record but i need guidance if this is correct.

I also found the Old Article number field in the basic data 1 but if i enter the same bar-code number for another item it will not stop me in creating the master record.

Hope anyone have a recommendation that i can try.

Thank you.

Regards,

Ber

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member542334
Participant
0 Kudos

It is 3 days since i post this message and no one in SAP for Retail has a solution they can recommend. As for our company, we chose to put the barcode number in the Old Article field on the material master record. We found a way to put a small script that when a same number is encountered that system will give a message.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Ber

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

colin_cheong
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1 GTIN can only be assigned to 1 article no.

1 article no. can be assigned with many GTIN.

This is the standard.

former_member542334
Participant
0 Kudos

It is 3 days since i post this message and no one in SAP for Retail has a solution they can recommend. As for our company, we chose to put the barcode number in the Old Article field on the material master record. We found a way to put a small script that when a same number is encountered that system will give a message.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Ber

0 Kudos

Hi Bernardo:

It's  better to use standard functionality.  While an article may have more than one GTIN, a GTIN should only be assigned to one article. If this rule is not enforced then on POS inbound a GTIN cannot be resolved to a unique article and unit of measure.

This rule should be enforced by the system, but by default SAP Retail only offers a warning.  The following system messages should be configured to raise an error rather than a warning:  
Menu Path:

SPRO > Logistics - General > Material Master > Basic Settings > Define Attributes of System Messages

A GTIN should only be assigned to one article.
Message no. M3348 is, by default, a warning. 
Change the setting to make it an error. 

A GTIN should only be assigned to one UOM.
Message no. M3347 is, by default, a warning. 
Change the setting to make it an error. 

You should configure a new GTIN category to accept external entry in the range you decide.  When deciding the range, observe GS1 rules.

As for configuration of GTIN, you should have a look at Master Data of ERP Retail EAN/GTIN by Björn Panter.   I have written another white paper that expands on this topic (SAP RETAIL EAN/UPC CONFIGURATION IN THE CONTEXT OF GLOBAL STANDARDS) and would be pleased to send it if you supply an email address.

- Paul

-----------------------------------

Paul Gendreau Jr.

SAP Retail

0 Kudos

You are definitely correct Mr. Paul.... and i really like your comments...

I am trying to create a new GTIN category that when every time i put a number in the GTIN field, it will never get any category except the one i created (without check digit)...

i hope you can guide me on this Mr. Paul...

Thank you...

Regards,

Ber

0 Kudos

Send me an email at Paul.Gendreau at SAP.com and I will send you a document.

- Paul