cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of simultaneous reports in web application

0 Kudos

Is there a limitation regarding the number of simultaneous reports that can be processed (exported to PDF) for a web application developed with SAP Crystal Reports for Visual Studio?  Could there be license problems?

Our application is currently using Crystal Reports XI but our client is planning to upgrade the server to Windows Server 2012, and it seems that the only version of Crystal Reports that would work with this operating system is SAP CR for Visual Studio.  We have the doubt about the number of simultaneous reports.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188030
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

With CR there are 2 processing limitations.

'Print Job Limit' of Crystal Print engine which is 75 by default.

See this:

http://scn.sap.com/community/crystal-reports-for-visual-studio/blog/2014/04/25/what-exactly-is-maxim...

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-21533

And 'Concurrent processing license' which is limited to 3.

http://search.sap.com/notes?id=0001519938&boj=/sap/bc/bsp/spn/scn_bosap/notes.do?access=69765F6D6F64...

Search the forum for print job limit or Crystal CPL, you would find plenty of info.

- Bhushan

Senior Engineer

SAP Active Global Support

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Getting started and moving ahead with Crystal Reports .NET applications.

0 Kudos

Thank you very much for your answer.

By reading the articles I suppose we may not experience problems since the reports are being exported to PDF and then displayed in the web browser.  It would depend on how much time is required for exporting each report. 

Anyway it seems that by the time being the only version that can be used with Windows Server 2012 is CR for Visual Studio, and this implies that the maximum number of licenses cannot be incremented beyond 3.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In a nutshell that is correct. If more than 3 requests are made of the report engine, then these are queued up and processed as a license become available. This will work with a few users and reports. If the load is higher, you will need to consider web farms or SAP Crystal Reports Server, or perhaps even SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform 4.x

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

0 Kudos

Hello Ludek,

Thanks for your answer.

Currently it is installed Crystal Reports XI, the web application is made with Visual Studio 2005 and the operating system is Windows Server 2003.  From the articles I've reviewed it seems that for this environment the maximum number of simultaneous requests is also 3.  Since there have not been major problems until now I suppose that if the application is migrated to Visual Studio 2010 and Windows Server 2012 there would be no problems with the number of simultaneous requests (3).

One thing is that the number of users is not so small, it can be of thousands in one day although I'm not sure how to estimate the number of concurrent user at a certain time.  This is the same application that had several problems due to the amount of RAM in the server: (you replied to that post).  I'm wondering now if those problems may be related to the number of simultaneous requests.  The client reports that the problems are much less frequent but have not entirely disappeared.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thousands of users? Absolutely you will run into problems. The CR SDK is just not designed for that type of load. Here is a great doc from one of the Program Manages re. performance:

- Ludek

0 Kudos

Thanks for the link.  It was helpful.

Answers (0)