cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the database in Crystal reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

To give an overview there is one project going on where the oracle database is getting migrated from 10g to 11g.

All the details of database like IP, port etc are changing as part of this.

I can see the driver name configured as crdb_ado (Custom driver).

We have an test environment for 11g against which we have to point all the reports and test it.

Could you please let me know the below queries

1. Where and how to change the IP details in the crystal reports to point to new test and prod databases.
  2. Overview on this crdb_ado driver

Basically the database is getting changed and we want the reports to point and run from the new database.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Try like this,

Go to the Database option on the top > Select Set data source option.

The top portion of the Set Data source Location window shows the current connection and part at the bottom is where you would make a connection to the new database

Once the connection has been made, select 'one' table from the current connection and then select a matching table in the new connection and click on the 'Update' button. Do this for all the tables one by one.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vissu,

Thanks for your reply.

We need to change the database from the reports which are already running from central management console.

I can see a custom driver crdb_ado is being used and it connects to a database.

Could you please let me know where the database configuration is done.

Ideally we need to add one more database to a config file which i am not able to find.

I guess it should be similar to tnsnames.ora file in oracle where the different databases are stored.

From the above image I would like to know where the server details (NECTAR_Prod) would be configured.

Thanks in advance

former_member205840
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I think your reports are created based on OLD DB native connection and while configuring in CMC it is taking that custom driver.

For one report go in CMC and right click on the report and go in Database Configuration and try to change the new database information.

If you are trying to connect to new database using ODBC,  then first you need to create a ODBC 32bit connection on BO server under Administrative tools and use that connection information in CMC database configuration option.

Also if you want to use OLE DB native connection then you should install database client components on BO server then use that specific driver to configure your report in CMC.

Thanks,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sastry,

Many thanks for this.

If you look at the screenshot in the previous thread in the server text box there is a value 'NECTAR_Prod'.

Do you know where it needs to be configured.

Thanks in advance

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ved Prakash,

'NECTAR_PROD' should be an Oracle SID under the tnsnames.ora file.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhilash.

The tnsnames.ora file is used by oracle to connect to the databases.

Do you think it is used even by the custom driver crdb_ado?

Also I have checked the tnsnames.ora file in the server and it has no entry in it.

Thanks

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not too sure why you prefer to use the 'crdb_ado' connection to connect to Oracle database.

We use the 'Oracle' driver (Check 'Select a database driver' and choose 'Oracle' from the list) which is native and uses the SID from tnsnames.ora - this is the preferred way to connecto to Oracle databases anyway.

-Abhilash

pavan_k11
Active Participant
0 Kudos

When using a third party protocol to connect to a database you are basically adding another layer for communicating to database which will cause performance issues hence avoid using third party drivers when you can use native drivers.

If you want to modify the DB details for all reports then use "Schedule manager" 

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member205840
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ved,

If there is no change in table and field structure then no need to select each table and click on update, you create a new connection and just click on old connection and also select new connection then click on update to update your old connection to new.

crdb_ado : you get log of info in Google, check in Google to understand better.

Note : after changing to new datasource still you will see old name on top window, expend the properties to see the new datasource information.

Thanks,

Sastry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sastry,

This is out of my knowledge can you please help Ved Prakash