cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in SAP EHS Data model from using Specification of REAL_SUB as compositions to other REAL_SUB type specification to a New Specification of LIST_SUB type

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We want to change our existing EHS Data Model of using REAL_SUB Specification type as compositions to other REAL_SUB specifications to a more standard SAP EHS Data model of having specifications of LIST_SUB specification type being used as compositions.

Any knowledge on this would be really helpful.

Regards,

Gaurish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Gaurish

I don't catch your question. From technical point of view it is quite easy.

E.g. specification A is of type REAL_SUB and part of the composition. Now you need only a new specifiation of Type LIST_SUB and then you can exchaneg key "A" by "B"

May be check as well: about discussion in "how to use SAP EHS Standard" model

So please explain better: what are your problems, doubts etc.?

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

Our current data model is such that we are using REAL_SUB Specifications as components for other REAL_SUB type specifications.

We are currently evaluating if there is any benefit of going from this model to the standard Data model by using one of the below mentioned options:

1. the Specifications which are currently used as components will be copied into new Specifications of type =LIST_SUB

2. Buying LIST_SUB Database from content provider

As per my understanding, in both the cases we would need to do the following:

1. Creation of Specifications of PURE_SUB Type to inherit data from the LIST_SUB and make business specific additions.

2. Data cleansing activity for replacing  the old components with new components.

Currently i do Not have PURE_SUB specification type in the system, so should i be creating them or should we go for higher release of SAP EHS. (Current Release 604)

I know this is a very limited information for you to understand my requirements, but could you please advise as to if I am thinking in the Right direction.

Thanks for all the Support.

Regards,

Gaurish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gaurish,

The step which normally Customer follows -

List_sub -- CAS Number based regulatory data which normally obtained from Contend provider

-Pure_sub-  -CAS Number based regulatory data which normally inherited data from List_sub via Reference or Inheritance you also can add company specific or vendor specific data.  

As per your question above - If you intended to implement Pure_sub than you may want to consider Pure_sub as composition data as oppose to List_sub while creating Real_sub

REAL_SUB composition require a greater level of understanding and method you choose to create -

There is various type of composition which you would like to understand -

1.ECBP - Exact composition based on Product  - Replica of BOM ( you may have Real_SUB referencing if your final product is assembly or made of ingredient/Raw Material)

2.Standard Composition -  This is drill down CAS level data such as Pure_SUB or List_Sub

Creating a Specification Pure_sub is normal if you do not have in your release or can upgrade.

If you have ECBP mentioned via REAL_SUB and your Ingredient Real_SUB has Standard Composition or ECBP as Pure_Sub you can write rules to populate Pure_sub in Composition of your final Product.

Hope this helps.

Gopi Dadheech 

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Guarish

Gopi highlighted the main ideas of the SAP standard model (Best practise). Now coming back to your demand. PLease answer these questions:

1.) do you use a data provider?

2.) how may REAL_SUBs are part of a composition or specification listing and therefore would need to be exchanged

3.) What about your data model for DG_CL_SUB etc. (Dangerous goods data model)? Are there as well adaptions needed?

Coming back to your questions/doubts etc:

2. Buying LIST_SUB Database from content provider => the data providing ist not "mandatory" be linked to LISTZ_SUB; you can do data upload from the provided as well onj REAL_SIUNB level; to do it on LIST_SUB is the recommended data model

1. Creation of Specifications of PURE_SUB Type to inherit data from the LIST_SUB and make business specific additions.=> the use of PUR_Sub is the "standard data model"; but you can maintain the same data on REAL_SUB or LIST_SUB level as well

2. Data cleansing activity for replacing  the old components with new components. => this would be needed if you would switch your data model

The "main" idea of the data model is:

a.) make clear to the user (maintenance) user whcih data he/she can expect on LIST:SUB level => answer is: (in the standard model) only data which is coming form Data provider

b.) The use of the PURE_SUB is to "enhance" data. Therefore PURE_SUB does have some reference to LIST_SUB but you add aditional data (based on informaiotn form your own company or using other sources)

c.) now you generate the composition based on PURE_SUB etc.

The main idea of thsi data model is therefore to generate "subobjects" which can be maintained independent but can be used in composiitons etc. to inherit data to REAL_SUB (e.g.via WWI report MSDS/SDS)

But you need to understand that e.g. REAL_GRP is as well an important part of standard data model; This type of object is used to "group" data which can be used very often. E.g. you could do it on "lowest" level. You could prepare a REAL_GPR with only the data "Color = green". Now any REAL_SUB having this "attribute" could get simply a reference to REAL_GRP; by "clever" use of this data model the data maintenace actions are reduced. But pay attention: this data model should only be used if you are not using "Rulesets" (which are as well available form data provider in most cases)

Conclusion: there is no "direct" benefit to switch the data model; there is no "clear" business driver; it is more the decision about how to go on with the data molde used. E.g. you need not to swicth the data model in one bug project; you could do it as wel step by setp (or e.g. only for new REAL_SUBs etc.)

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gopi, Christoph,

Thank you very Much for taking your time to help me in my queries. Its very much appreciated.

To answer your questions Christoph,

We are currently evaluating if we should change from our existing data model to the best practice data model. If yes, should we convert REAL sub specifications used as components to LiST_sub or to Go for data provider for List Sub database.

So, as of now, we do not have data provider.

Currently around 2000 specifications are being used as components.

For Dangerous goods classification we used the standard data model. So this does not require an change.

My concerns were regarding the cost -benefits of taking up this exercise, but as I can see from you inputs and other reading, there I no tangible benefit as such for the business. 😞

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Cristoph, Gopi,

In addition to the above discussion, an additional query for me:

Will the Specification type of Component be relevant for Classification of Substances using SAP EHS Expert Rules. does it make a difference if the specification i have maintained as components are REAL_SUB or LIST_SUB or PURE_SUB Specification Type.

Regards,

Gaurish Dessai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gaurish,

Each specification type has its own relevance- Creating List_sub and Pure _sub allows you to mentioned regulatory data for given CAS number or its variant one time to minimize data entry and when you would use them in Real_sub it will help you to drill down to regulatory content and help classify the final Product.

As I stated earlier that understanding of ECBP and Standard composition is required to a greater extend. most content providers experts rules takes the consideration of List_sub and Pure_sub while classifying but it may sound bit unusual that you can crate real sub for each CAS number and mentioned the regulatory content than reference them in your Product Real Sub.

Keeping in mind List_sub and Pure _sub and only and only regulatory data independent of Real Product.

Hope this helps.

Gopi Dadheech

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gopi,

Please reply on given below query.

My customer ask me for one report having (Security Site Inspection Report).I have 12 sub types points which is given below

1. Fire Hazzard,       YES / NO

2. Safety Hazzard   YES / NO

3. Vehicle Accident YES / NO

4. Incident              YES / NO

So where i can define these sub types in the system ??

Now We Have 20 plants.

Plant              Details of Hazzard               Recomendations          Remarks

Now for Plant1: we have Fire Hazzard as well Safety Hazzard.

So i will be writing this as given below:

Plant              Details of Hazzard               Recomendations              Remarks

1                   1 and 2                              xyz                     xyz

Please provide some inputs to solved this issue.

Regards,

SHarma

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sharma

a.) please start new thread

b.) please explain better what you are looking for

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

As you suggested,I have posted my query on given below link.

So please give me some suggestions.

http://scn.sap.com/post!input.jspa?container=2116&containerType=14

Regards

Sharma

Answers (0)