Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loading & converting geographical data to/in hana

0 Kudos

Current situation:

source system: MS SQL Server 2008 containing spatial data

SAP DS is our core loading technique

SAP HANA our target.

In HANA there is the column type ST_GEOMETRY or ST_POINT that can hold the geographical specific data. There are also functions how to use them (ST_Distance for example)...... but the main question is: how can i load this kind of data to HANA?

Within SAP DS there is no special column type like ST_GEOMETRY:

When trying to use blob (binary like spatial data) the DS failes. So my main question is, how can i correctly load geographical data from a non SAP system?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi Henk,

Officially only loading spatial data from HANA and Oracle is certified with Data Services 4.2.  When loading from Oracle, Data Services is generating a Sql statement that contains a function to convert the Oracle spatial field to WKT. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-known_text

You could try to build a view in Sql Server that does the same. The geometry field in HANA is recognized by Data Services as a long (Hana sps7) or blob (Hana sps8), so you need a query statement that converts the output of your spatial field from the view into the appropriate data type in Hana. I'm not sure if its correctly loaded into Hana, but its the best you can do with the latest Data Services version.

Another option would be to load Esri shape files into Hana, but thats a manual operation.

Best regards,

Stefan Koster

0 Kudos

Hi Stefan, thanks for your answer. Do you have an example of such a generated SQL containing the conversion function for me?

0 Kudos

Hi Henk,

For example, in Oracle we have the column LIGGING, which contains the spatial field. Data Services would then generate the statement SELECT SDO_UTIL.TO_WKTGEOMETRY(LIGGING) FROM TABLE

Best regards,

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, am having a similar requirement to load the spatial data into HANA, were you able to achieve this using DS? Is there any other alternative way?

Regards,

Sudarshan

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Henk

I think this question needs to be answered by Data Services experts, e,g, here: .

- Lars