Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from BPC 7 to BPC 10 MS

former_member210696
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

BPC 7 with SQL 2008

BPC 10 with SQL 2008R2

Restoration of appset backup taken in BPC 7 shows 'Complete' with FileDB, WebFolders and SQL completing successfully but OLAP being greyed out.

Log says - Can't establish connection with OLAP Server, ensure server is running.

We have checked that the SSAS is running and with all the required privileges.

Also, we could successfully restore the SQL database and the OLAP database manually after taking manual backup of each of these through Management Studio.

Has anyone seen this, any thoughts?

More important - Is it necessary to have the same SQL server running for restoration to happen successfully? Like in this case, given BPC 7 is running on 2008, do we need to have BPC 10 also running on SQL 2008 and then only we can restore successfully?

Regards,

Ashish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member210696
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To confirm, the SQL version need not be same for backup/restore. Just that you can do a restore of a backup only on a higher version (upgrade). Downgrade is not allowed.

In our case, the problem was with the installation with some registry files being broken. Post re-installation, the restore was successful.

Regards,

Ashish

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i have below;

DB server -> BPC 7.0.117 MS running on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise with SQL 2005 Enterprise

APP server -> BPC 7.0.113 MS running on Windows Server 2003 Standard

and would like to migrate to BPC 10 MS in new single Windows Server 2008R2 with SQL 2008 R2, just wonder will below steps work?

1) backup appsets on DB server (SQL 2005)

2) restore on new server (SQL 2008R2)

or i need to upgrade from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 R2 on DB server before doing appsets backup?

Thanks & Regards,

Kelvin

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

with a downgrade isn't possible but from a lower version it's ok. SQL Server 2008 is version 10 while SQL Server 2008 R2 is 10.5 (it's possible also from sql 2005 and older versions),

see please http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us//library/ms190436(v=sql.105).aspx

Regards

Roberto.

former_member210696
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Roberto.

Do you have any inputs on the problem above?

Further, I am afraid because we did a session with SAP raising an OSS note and they are suggesting otherwise -

-In order for the restore operation to work you need to have the exact

Version of the database in both BPC 7.0 and BPC 10.0

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Ashish

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

if SAP wrote so then probably there are some differences in the bpc tables. MS permits a restore on a higher version but not BPC.

You can try sending the MS link and asking the reason, but I think you have to install 2008 on 10 server.

Regards

Roberto

former_member210696
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

They had asked us to go through BPC 10 MS upgrade guide Page 15-29 which I did again but couldn't find any reference that says the version of the 2 SQL Server should be the same. Not sure if I overlooked.

How will a client who is running BPC 7 on SQL 2005 upgrade to BPC 10 because BPC 10 will have SQL 2008 minimum and then backup and restore will never work?

Though when SAP says something, it has to be correct but I am just curious because of these questions. Am I missing something?

Regards,

Ashish

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

They had asked us to go through BPC 10 MS upgrade guide Page 15-29 which I did again but couldn't find any reference that says the version of the 2 SQL Server should be the same. Not sure if I overlooked.

if close open another oss message asking why they cannot be ok if you didn't found nothing about it on the upgrade guide. But you have to be sure, SAP must confirm, that it's possible.

If I remember well we migrate from 5.1 2005 to 7.5 2008 but they were the instruction to migration, explaining some properties (for sure Time->ISBeginning) to create and add during migration.

As I said maybe they made some changes in pc tables and you will have troubles after.

How will a client who is running BPC 7 on SQL 2005 upgrade to BPC 10 because BPC 10 will have SQL 2008 minimum and then backup and restore will never work?

simply, you have to upgrade first SQL bpc 7 (2008 is available) and after migrate to bpc 10, obviously is more expensive, you have to test your system twice.

BTW peharps this is the reason 1661399 - Error when restoring a database backup using the SQL Server Management Studio they speak about restore between different DB but the example isn't precise, trying to restore a backup made from a higher version (2008 R2 (10.5) to 2008 (10.0)) obviously doesn't work.

Regards

Roberto

former_member210696
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Roberto, saw the note. This is when you are facing errors during restoring on a different version. But, our SQL database gets restored through Server Manager as well as through Management Studio manually. problem is with OLAP, even OLAP gets restored through Management Studio manually.

Have organized a session with SAP today, let's c what we get out of it.

Regards,

Ashish