cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal 7.40 SPS7 - Backend Sessions not terminated

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We have upgraded Portal to 7.4 SPS7 and there is a major issue. When navigating away from a portal iview ( WDA, HTML GUI) the back-end session is not being terminated. They are in a way suspended, so when you come back to the same iview you continue using the existing session from the point you left it. I find it quite a big problem as it completely changes how the portal works.

Before every time you navigated away a log out command was sent to the backend which terminated the session (of course unless you use launchpad navigation with suspend resume).
In as recent as 7.40 SPS6 it was working fine.

Has anybody else experienced the same issue and do you have a solution?

I have a High priority OSS message opened but it is taking awhile to get a response.

Regards,

Haik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186852
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Haik,

Check the property 'ABAP Security Sessions Enabled' to 'Yes' in the portal system object, Please check the  Note1471069.

Note: if you are not using HTTP Security Session Management on the backend, this value must be set to 'No'.

Please navigate  to :
System Administration > System Configuration > System Landscape > Open System Object properties

Also check the service in SICF : /sap/public/bc/icf/logoff

Thanks & Regards,

Meghal Shah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Meghal for the helpful response

The  HTTP Security Session Management was incative in backend and not checked (set to 'no') in portal. /sap/public/bc/icf/logoff was also inactive. This was allowing the sessions to terminate when logging out but not when moving from an iview to an iview. This scenario worked fine in previous versions.

I have tested other combinations but with no successfully outcomes:

Portal = N , Backend = Inactive, /sap/public/bc/icf/logoff  = Active

Portal  = Y, backend =Active, /sap/public/bc/icf/logoff  = Active. Now doesnt even work when logging out.

Portal = N , Backend = Active, /sap/public/bc/icf/logoff  = Active or Inactive the same as above.

I have done the test on another installation of SPS7 portal and it is the same there. So cant be a back-end issue.

Regards,

Haik

carl_connolly
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Haik,

You should also check Note:

1978496 - After logoff user can still browse the portal without having to

reauthenticate

Best regards,

Carl

former_member186852
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Haik,

As mentioned earlier there is one property in your system object " ABAP Security Sessions Enabled " set to " Yes "

It might be a issue.

Please check and still you are facing same issue please let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Meghal Shah.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Meghal,

When set to "Yes" it gets even worse. the sessions dont get terminated even when loging out.

I am trying to find a patch for this issue.

Regards,

Haik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Carl,

Although the problem was not related to the solution in the sap note 1978496 but I still tried.

It didnt help.

I also tried patching the EPRuntime environment but still the problem is still there.
I guess we will move to SP6.

It is strange that nobody else has noticed this problem yet.

regards,

Haik

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe SAP note 2021994 describes the problem you are seeing. The bug is introduced in SP07 but is fixed in patch 1. However since you wrote that patching EP-RUNTIME didn't help, it must be something else.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Samuli,
Yes it didnt fix the issue.

Currently the patch 4 is available. Maybe it got fixed in patch1 but then the fix was forgotten in patch 4.

I hope I will get a reply from SAP soon.

regards,

Haik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Remember also to edit the portal session id property on your iViews, take a look here:

Haik, if you activates the security session like already mentioned by our colleagues, the effect should be you are getting an extra request sap/public/bc/icf/logoff to your backend if you logging out, it should look like:

This request triggers in fact the process of session destroying on your backend. Is that the case for you? Of course you should get a 200 for that one...

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

btw: it works only after logging out as far I know, for clear reasons: there is no sense to cut the backend session every time just after a user leaves an iView. But its important to activate it, I had horrible side effects without this option activated

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lawrence,

Thanks for the reply. Although a different kind of problem existed with the log-out when Abap Secure was enabled however my issue was with the termination of back-end sessions when navigating from iview 1 to iview 2. In earlier releases once you exited an iview its corresponding back-end sessions was terminated.
This may not cause significant issues if you use transactional iviews however when you use WDA iviews with some navigational steps it gets messed up. e.g. instead of bringing a search screen it displays the details of the previously viewed record.

We decided not to use SP7 but use SP6 which looks like a more stable version.

regards,

Haik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why are you thinking in former versions backend sessions were kicked by chnanging iViews? Did you saw something appropriate on SAP help or somewhere else? I cant imagine this is the case. Haik, be aware of the difference between application/navigation logic and session handling

Haik Nazarian wrote:

This may not cause significant issues if you use transactional iviews however when you use WDA iviews with some navigational steps it gets messed up. e.g. instead of bringing a search screen it displays the details of the previously viewed record.

my german colleagues would say "das sind Blümchen" It can have significant issues independent from the backend iView type you are using. Did you tryed to logon/logoff with different user without new sessions or closing the browser? Guess what happens...

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

we are experiencing the same problems with the portal? You managed to solve the problem?

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Haik,

Kindly check the sapnote 1903478 - Session remains open after the logoff on enterprise portal from 7.1 to 7.3

I face this issue in 7.3 and sap has asked to apply the latest patches corresponding to the SP10.

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

siddharth_jain
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Haik,

Try following check the abap security session enable property to true in system object and activate the logoff service.

secondly make sure DSM terminator is getting called ,make sure popup is not blocked for portal.

you can also search around workprotect mode if the above and rest suggestions are not helping.

Thanks,

Siddharth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

As no solution was found and we dont have much time, we decided to use SP6 which is more stable.
Once there is a solution from SAP I will provide further details.

Regards,

Haik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Haik,

just wanted to let you know: I faced a similar issue in an another context meanwhile, but it sounds similar to yours. Im also getting BI IP locks for backend components while using AJAX framework on a EP 7.31 SP>10. I have no expertise in BI, but I heard you need to take some influence on the locking logic on the backend to avoid such things. My customer said me they are aware of such problems and this dont happens on classic desktop. The problem is occuring only on AJAX. Its also an upgraded portal.

Indeed, while checking security session handling, we found it to be deactivated. It could have something to do with it, but as I mentioned I assumed this is triggered after logoff and not for single iViews. I will keep you on news,

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lawrence,

Yes we are also using the AJAX framework. It didnt occur to me that it could have been due to that, I thought it was a general framework and runtime issue. As our customer already decided to go back to SP6 I guess we will wait for a solution before attempting another upgrade.

I consider this as a bug, and a quite big one.

Will still keep this thread running so that people can share their experiences and when there is a solution offer it.

Thanks for the info.

Haik