Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent! - Windows Update KB2962872 breaks CDT

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All!

We have received couple of reports that after installing the KB2962872 browser crashes when call is allocated.
We are currently investigating what is happening and meanwhile I recommend to avoid the update.

If you have similar findings please post them here.

Regards,
Jukka
SAP Contact Center team

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

lloyd_goveia
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear colleagues,

Today I have been testing with a brand new installation :

-> windows 7 64bit OS with IE9 (no MS hotfixes) -> tested CDT and all was working fine.

-> Upgraded to IE10 and tested (no issues)
-> Upgraded to IE11, tested -> Result: CDT experiences heavy performance issues (delays, sometimes crashed)

-> When I check if KB2962872 was installed I could not see any; however, when I check the IE11 "About Internet Explorer" I could clearly see the update version already had this hotfix included, so I could not actually test without this patch.

Upon further research, I could see the vendor acknowledges that there is still some problems with this release: (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2962872/en-usfor instance issue #3). So clearly the problem is not CDT.

There is a bug report with Microsoft related to the release:
https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/916652/ie-9-ie-11-freezes-in-some-situations-after...

Kind regards,
LLoyd

alexander_kupke
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lloyd,

I assume the checkbox "Install new versions automatically" might participate in this issue here.

Besides giving us some trouble pre SP7 by updating to IE11, this feature which was added in IE10 seems not only to update major IE releases, but also minor updates including those hotfixes, very much like Firefox, Chrome etc. already did before. As those hotfixes are also distributed by Windows Update, I wonder if it is possible to filter automatic updates if WSUS is used.

I think updates installed here might not show up in Programs and Features, but you might find those in your update history.

Auto update can be inhibited by either a registry key or manually unchecking.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]

"EnableAutoUpgrade"=dword:00000000

lloyd_goveia
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the tips!!.

To clarify, this checkbox was not active and this installation was a clean one. Which means I uninstalled the previous version completely, rebooted and then installed IE11, so the update did not play any part in my test.

Consequently, I had also checked the update history and did not see this HF installed, so it is clear to me that this came with the IE11 package.

So I guess anyone who does a fresh install is out of luck because it is not possible to remove this KB2962872 .

Cheers,
Lloyd

alexander_kupke
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lloyd,

it seems Microsoft just releast the next try...

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2991509/en-us

You may want to try this one.

Regards

Alexander

Former Member
0 Kudos

According to my tests this new patch helps things.

At least iexplorer.exe*32 won't get stuck at full CPU-load any more.

(Still IE11 has some issues with all CDT versions. Minor GUI layout issues, random slowness.)

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have released SAP note 2057499 to describe the issue.
As Tero says the patch seems to help but there is still some slowness time to time.

Regards,
Jukka
SAP Contact Center Team

madis_malv
Explorer
0 Kudos

I tried it on Windows 7 SP1, IE11 64-bit.

I was not even able to get login window open. IE crashed with message "Internet Explorer has stopped working."

Without that hotfix KB2991509 I was at least able to log in, but then I had this 20 second hanging problem.

Regards

Madis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Madis, please try installing all pending patches from Windows Update. That helped in my case. I had the same problem.

To be exact, I assume your computer is missing this one: MS14-051: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: August 12, 2014

Former Member
0 Kudos

The SAP Note seems to be partly misleading:

It says: "NOTE: These updates are not installed automatically but you must fetch them from Microsoft support page."

However  kb2976627 says: "Use the Windows automatic updating feature to install the update from Microsoft Update"

Not so serious, but I thought I'd mention this

madis_malv
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks,

Got it working after installing this hotfix as well.

Madis

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have:

- Windows 7 x64 Ultimate + IE11

- All currently available MS patches (15th August) are installed

- Lenovo T510 with Intel i7 4-core CPU, 8GB RAM.

- All BCM versions available for testing. I tried 7.0 SP7 and SP6.1

- Only 7.0 SP7 Core and Proxy MSI packets installed

CDT is completely unresponsive.

iexplore.exe*32 constantly taking 25% of CPU.

Additionally the CDT GUI looks a bit misplaced. The information bar in the bottom is not completely visible.

Also tried the Compatibility Mode --> No help.

Any ideas?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess one of these are installed in your computer.

KB2962872 or KB2976627

Former Member
0 Kudos

Problem seems to be very specific:

Simply clicking the Directory search field will immediately cause iexplore.exe*32 to jump to 25% CPU use. Also happens when clicking the phone number field (left bottom corner).

However it seems like other functions are OK.

For example I can start CDT, go to the History tab and search some old contacts.

Also I can send out an email just fine.

So it looks like some input fields cause some sort of never ending Javascript loop.

Any ideas? Anyone else seeing this sort of behaviour?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ah, sorry, forgot to mention that I did have KB2976627 installed. But uninstalling it didn't fix my problem.

former_member250653
Participant
0 Kudos

Exactly the same at me.

Uninstalling KB2976627 didn't help. The problem with high CPU usage still occurs.

Entering one digit in dial field takes about 20 seconds, then you can dial the next digit.

madis_malv
Explorer
0 Kudos

Did you also restarted computer after removing this update? Also check that you do not have update KB2962872 installed, which was first to brake CDT.

former_member250653
Participant
0 Kudos

Both Windows updates are uninstalled, and I also restarted my computer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

To clarify:

This issue started immediately after IE11 was installed. At that time the latest patch on this laptop was from 2012 January. Having (or not having) KB2962872 or any recent patch does not seem to have any effect on this problem.

EDIT: Now confirmed with multiple Win 7 laptops at our office.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

IE has lot of problems after these updates.

Maybe this helps:

Microsoft Issues Hotfix for Internet Explorer Slowdowns | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

From this article:

if you're already suffering strange slowdowns—you'll want to check out Microsoft's KB2991509 article.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Arthur,

That info was also useful, but looking at that article and KB2991509:
"After you apply the MS14-037 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2962872/ )

or MS14-051 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976627/) cumulative security update for Internet Explorer, web applications that implement consecutive modal dialog boxes may cause Internet Explorer to become slow and unresponsive over time. This issue occurs in Internet Explorer versions 7 through 11"

In this case there are no modal dialog boxes on screen.

I will now create an official support ticket regarding this issue. Hopefully we'll get this solved.

former_member250653
Participant
0 Kudos

After installing KB2991509 which is mentioned in this article, IE doesn't even start the softphone. It says "Internet Explorer stopped working".

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you know if this will affect users that have Windows 7 and IE 8?

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Currently I have no reports about issues with IE8 regarding to this topic and it should be safe to install. I would still strongly recommend to run some very basic tests before taking the fix in to production. For example the issues reported with the fix:

- Inserting numbers to number field. CDT freezes and seems like browser crashes
- Execute directory serach. CDT freezes and seems like browser crashes
- Chansing the size of CDT (view -> compact/normal/extended)

In both cases we execute very basic JavaScript code, during that we can see CPU peak and after a while browser becames responsible again. During this time our terminal component stays active and even in case you close browser it will stay active. According to our chief architect there is nothing we can do from coding perspective. We can only wait and see how Microsoft reacts.

SUMMARY from everything:
1. Only IE11 seems to be affected (Win7 & Win8 versions).
2. For SAP Contact Center point of view this is a Microsoft bug.
3. SAP Contact Center team recommends to avoid the update in case you use IE11.
4. If there is a urgent need for the fix then the recommendation is to run basic tests before taking the fix to production.

Regards,
Jukka
SAP Contact Center team

madis_malv
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Jukka

Do you know if Microsoft is aware of this problem and are planning to fix it allready?

It is not very convenient to tell customers that they can not install Microsoft security updates.

BR

Madis Malv

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Madis,

Bug is reported to MS:
http://https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/916652/ie-9-ie-11-freezes-in-some-situation...

And in discussion there is this information:

Response from MS:

Current Status:

•  The IE Product Team has determined the cause of the reported and reproduced regression and has formulated a fix.

•  The fix is currently in testing and is planned for delivery in the next IE Cumulative update.

I know that it is not so nice to tell it to customer but that is the situation currently.

Regards,
Jukka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

last night Microsoft replaced Patch KB2962872 with Patch KB2976627 but it kooks like the bug is not fixed.

Regards,

Dirk

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

An update from our side:

1. We have received positive feedback about combinations Win7 + IE9/IE10
2. Win7/Win8 + IE11 seems to be the problem
3. It seems like CDT (or browser) is not really crashing. When the issue happens you can see high CPU peak and after a while the action is finished (for example directory search or number insert)
This is most probably caused by slow javascript execution but we cannot say for sure yet.

Testing continues!

Regards,
Jukka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

From my site only outbound calls are cutting, but when removing the latest Windows updates is then you can make outbound calls.

Regards,

Sipho Rooi

lance_patrick
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Jukka,

Our sites are using either Win7+ IE8  or Win 8+ IE10.   Do you have any results for those combinations already?  If you don't, then I will try to arrange a test with a few users and our Windows patching team early next week.

Thanks,

Lance

Former Member
0 Kudos

We checked the problem here with a clean install of Windows 7 and CDT 6.0.9:

Windows 7 + IE9 + Patch = no problem

Windows 7 + IE11 + Patch = problem occurs when clicking on a user in the address book

Windows 7 + IE11 without patch = problem does not occur

As a pre-test I used the a2.html from this thread at Microsoft IE9/11 freezes in some situations after installation of KB2962872 . It hangs when Windows 7 + IE11 + Patch is installed (see above), somehow it does not hang with IE9 despite the thread's title.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jukka,

Thanks for the update, we'll postpone that patch pending further news.

Best Regards,

Karl

0 Kudos

Hi Jukka,

Unfortunately Above mentioned windows security update is schedule for next week in our environment.

Could You please let us know if there is any work around available.

and is there any note we need to track for the updates on the same or we should follow the same discussion thread here for further updates on the same.

Best Regards

Swtantra Chourasiya

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swtantra,

Postpone it. We are currently investigating what goes wrong and I cannot promise any solution before next week.

Workaround is to avoid the fix. I will inform here when we have findings.

Regards,
Jukka

ps. it seems like this is an issue for other applications as well:

[IE 9, IE 11] Freezes in some situations after installation of KB2962872 | Microsoft Connect

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jukka,

Thanks for the update, do you know if this issue is applicable to all versions of  BCM/Contact Centre?

Regards,

Karl

former_member202106
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karl,

Yes, I think so. The Microsoft update seems to be available for all supported browsers and operating systems so it is really hitting every version.

Jukka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

With Windows 8.1 it totally breaks CDT, every move takes time and randomly crashes the IE.