cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Classic EHS and

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We had already been using SAP EHS which came as a part of SAP ECC.

But recently we deployed the Component Extension 3.0 for SAP EHS Management in SAP ECC.

What is the difference between these two? How do we see the difference in the ECC system? Will there be any addition of new transaction codes?

Regards,

Kapil.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Kapil

I am pretty sure that based on hints of Subash you will get some idea about the difference. In case you need on top information: may be check:

A lot of references are provided regarding EHS classic and Component Extension for SAP Management.

C.B.

dhinsap
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Christoph,

My client is using the classic version of EHS. When we think of upgrading, client wants to know the business benefit of migrating to component extension . In what ways, will it help the customer .From my understanding, if a new customer hasnt used SAP and wants it now,  should he buy the new EHSM license alone or both EHSM and Logistics license in ECC so that the classic EHS components(Product safety...DGM...) can also be used.

Regards

Dhinesh

nick_valeriano
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Dhinesh,

The biggest shift I think for an upgrade would be for the user experience, with the WebUI interface it gives the users a cleaner look for their daily EHS Transactions. Also, it depends on what aspects of EHSM functionality they would want to use (IM, RA, Product Compliance) and which Component Extension version they get (2.0-6.0). If customer has not used SAP, they are forced to buy the EHSM license but not required to ONLY use the newer EHSM functionality, the EHS classic modules still exist.

-Nick

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Dinesh

you misinterpret the SAP approach. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY THIS ARTICLE:

Therefore:

Then we think of upgrading, client wants to know the business benefit of migrating to component extension

=> in principle it is not "really" a migration. The so called "EHSM" is currently an "Add on"to SAP ERP. The functionality does have overlap to EHS classic, some data can be migrated (please check the many threads regarding this)

So if you have used mainly EHS IH then it is a kind of "migration". But it is a completely different designed solution

C.B:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to emphaze the answers that others already gave --- your statement "should he buy....the logistics license in ECC so that the classic EHS components can also be used" is inaccurate. The logistics license (by which I assume you mean the ERP license) does not give customers the right to use any of the EHS functionality. It has always been a separate license. This confusion seems to occur frequently and people make the assumption that just becuase you can see the functionality under logistics that the license is the same. The location of the code has nothing to do with the license requirements.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mary

may be you could enlarge your very important blog document (and discussing more intensvie the "License" story. It seems to be the fact that many customers are "lost" regarding this question and the pitfalls in the answers Still there is lot of confusion.

On top:  I am aware of lot of meetings of SAP with industry in the last 8 weeks there this confusion is stressed very intensive. On the top discussion come up regarding use of "SAP HANA" (either with EHS classic or EHSM). Here less informaitois available. E.g. SAP HANA seems to support SAP ERP processes a lot; but no information is available for EHS classic or EHSM.

Especially the topic of" migration" seems to be important(fromcustomer perspective). As discussed:

• 1.) if customers are using EHS classic and functionality there in with overlap to EHSM: the challenge to migrate might be big but it is possible
  • 2.) If customers do not use EHS classic in such a way I would assume that EHSM is a good choice to start with EHSM
  • As an idea: mayn people asked questions about: how long does it take to install etc. EHS clasic (project length etc.)? in most cases the question is "to high level" to be answered, but may be you have some customer sucess stories for use of EHSM. as  I believe this kind of question might come up as well in the future quite often

C.B.

dhinsap
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Mary for the response, but its still not clear.

Let me put it this way.

Assume My customer is using classic EHS which means he has a license for EHS.If we recommend him to upgrade to EHSM, He must buy the additional EHSM license at some cost.But what does he benefit in the Addon package from in case he use only IH and OH in classic.Just for the look and feel of portal based in Addon, he does not want to invest. What are the advantages and how do i promote him?

If the customer is new to SAP and we promote EHSM. In case he wants to use Product Safety, then he has to buy classic license as a separate component?? Am i right. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

Dhinesh

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Dinesh

regarding: Assume My customer is using classic EHS which means he has a license for EHS.If we recommend him to upgrade to EHSM, He must buy the additional EHSM license at some cost

This need not to be true. The best way is: ask SAP contact about the status of the license you have. Because of lot of reasons the "license" situaiton can not be answered easily. To make it quite simple:

If customer did not use EHS or EHSM it can be assumed that there is no liecense in place. Ifa new license is "on board" than based on discussions in this FORUM license is valid for EHS and EHSM.

In context: But what does he benefit in the Addon package from in case he use only IH and OH in classic.

This is a company specific decision. The new solution is designed different; and as discussed. This solution has been updated/upgraded a lot in last years there as EHS classic did not get any upgrade/update in EHS IH area.

In context:

.Just for the look and feel of portal based in Addon, he does not want to invest. What are the advantages and how do i promote him?

Not always you can use the same "tactic". E.g. Microsoft or SAP is doing it quite "simple". They just say: (as an example ONLY !!)  move from Windows XP to current Windows version as Windows XP is not supported any more

How should the customer react in such case? Clearly anything like tthis is a project generating costs but at the end the customer does get a new version of something hopefully with better functionality/usibility etc.

Same ist true for EHS and EHSM (to a certain extent).. The "highest" challenge in most cases: the user needs to get familiar with new look and feel (SAP GUI <=> WebDynpro etc. solution). From company perspective. if you are not "enabled" for use of SAP modern technique: you have to work on that (like e.g. with SAP HANA the same).

C.B.

PS: in context of:

If the customer is new to SAP and we promote EHSM. In case he wants to use Product Safety, then he has to buy classic license as a separate component?? Am i right. Correct me if I am wrong

If customer starts form scratch then according to discussion  the license to be bought contains the option to use  EHS and EHSM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi !

Many times in the past same question was discussed in this forum.

Kindly have a look at those discussions,

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3562354

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3445496

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3300367

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3317873

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3305944

Regards

Subash Sankar