cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BPC 10.0 and EPM Add-in Office version

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We are using BPC 7.5 M sp04 and are planning to do upgrade in BPC 10.0 M, please let me know Is Office 2013 supported with SAP BPC 10.0 M and EPM Add-in.

Also Is the MS Office version on BPC Application Server and Client machine should be same or we can different version of office on server and client.

Please Advice.

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

with some limitations office 2013 is supported, should be ok with sp10, see please 1678822 - Third Party Software Support Matrix For BPC for Microsoft 7.X, 10.X and also 1839525 - Administration client is closed when you close member sheet for issues in admin console.

Normally is not necessary to install Office on server, but yes you could have different versions, they only need to be in the supported version list (see first link).

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

Thanks for your reply.

As per Note#1678822 Office 2013 is supported with BPC 10.0 so it also mean Office 2013 is supported with EMP Add-in?

If we have say Office 2007 on Application server and a higher version like Office 2010 or 2013 on Client machine, now all these Office versions (2007, 2010, 2013) are supported by BPC 10.0, so will this kind of scenario works or there will be version compatibility issues?

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

As per Note#1678822 Office 2013 is supported with BPC 10.0 so it also mean Office 2013 is supported with EMP Add-in?

yes from sp14 see note 5 in the first link I've give you.

No issues for different versions but you can have issues as always when you save some template with a newest version of office. If you save all your reports with 2007 version then it's ok.

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

you mean Office 2013 is supported with BPC 10.0 and EPM Add-in from sp14?

I didn't got your statement "see note 5 in the first link I've give you."

You mean if we have dimension files,templates and reports in one version then it doesn't matter if we have different Office version on client and server.

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

in the note 1678822 you will see that office 2013 is suppported, but over YES you will see a note number 5 described below 2013 is ok with bpc 10 sp10 and epm sp 14.

You mean if we have dimension files,templates and reports in one version then it doesn't matter if we have different Office version on client and server.

yes if the saved version is the lowest, this gives you the assurance that it works also with the highest version.

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

Thanks a lot for your help!!

One last thing: note number 5 states that Office 2013 is supported with EPM Add-in sp14 but I don't see in that note written that Office 2013 is supported with BPC 10.0 from sp10.

We have all the dimension sheets, reports, Input templates in office 2003 (.xls & .xlt format), will they be supported with BPC 10/EPM Add-in?

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

One last thing: note number 5 states that Office 2013 is supported with EPM Add-in sp14 but I don't see in that note written that Office 2013 is supported with BPC 10.0 from sp10.

in note 5 it states "Limited support with BPC 10.0 Administration client" the note 1839525 say the issue with the admin console "is corrected in Planning and Consolidation 10.0 SP10.".

Please note this is a MS bug there is a workaround to avoiding excel crashes.

We have all the dimension sheets, reports, Input templates in office 2003 (.xls & .xlt format), will they be supported with BPC 10/EPM Add-in?

yes, backward compatibility should be ok, but maybe it's the time to convert this in the 2007 .xlsx\m & xltx or xltm format.

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

To convert the dimension/reports/templates in 2007 format I think we should have Office 2007 installed on Application server OR can we have 2013 on Application server and convert the dimension/reports/templates in 2013 format.

Does the Migration utility converts the files (dimension,reports,templates) format also (like from 2003 format 2013 format files)

Please Advice.

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

you have to convert it to the lowest version of Office you're using, so if some user have installed office 2007 you have to install on your client office 2007 and save all the dimension/reports/templates in 2007, with the m extension if the reports contains macro inside.

No Migration utility doesn't convert the excel format.

You have to test all, i.e. also the reports, after the migration to see if they works.

I remember that I had to made some changes in the report when I decided to support office 2007 and 2010 because something (i don't remember if the execution order, some parameter or some function doesn't work in the same manner of 2003).
So maybe it's better to save all reports, etc. in the newest format (2007) test and correct all the reports with issues: e.g. if a report contains #RIF, when a function loose a parameter, on 2003 there no problem, but on 2007 and 2010 (not sure if in combination with Windows 7) the entire excel freeze when opened.

After finsihed to save all in the new format you can start the migration, just to be sure when you have an issue if it's related or not with the migration.

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

Our All dimension files,Reports,templates are in 2003 format and as you said migration utility will not convert the format so if we have Office 2013 on Server and clients while upgrading to 10.0 then will it be OK or do you see any issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

I would convert first with your lowest version of Office in the new bpc 10.

Office compatibility is guaranteed up to a certain point, keeping the old format You risk of having serious problems suddenly that need to convert formats in emergency.

The conversion to BPC 10 however take a time of several months and I would add a few weeks for the conversion of formats.

Regards

Roberto     

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

Thanks for all your help.

As I told in beginning of thread that currently we are in BPC 7.5 M, We are using Office 2007 and as I told our Dimension files/Reports/Templates are in Office 2003 format (.xls and .xlt)  so with in BPC 7.5 (before going for 10.0 upgrade) If I try converting these 2003 objects to 2007 then I only need to SaveAs them in new format and test like opening any .xls dimension file and saving it in .xlsx will work.

Please Confirm.

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

it should be easy as you said but I think it's better you choose some "complex" reports, change the format and test if it works without issues before to start the migration.

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

It is not looking so simple.

We have Office 2007 on the Application server and I tried creating a test dimension in admin module but it creates the dimension file in .xls format and then I changed the extension of test dimension from .xls to .xlsx and try to open the test dimension from admin module then it displays message that "Dimension member sheet not found"

There might be some internal settings and that is creating new file in .xls format and recognizing the .xls format file when opening.

Thanks & Regards,
Rohit

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

verify if you have added xlsx format in the application set parameters.

You have also to change in tblDefaults table the value of the MEMBERSHEET_VERSION in 2007 (you should have 2003). Please test it in development environment.

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Roberto,

In which property/parameter I need to define xlsx in application set paramaters?

I have checked and yes it is 2003 mentioned for MEMBERSHEET_VERSION field in tbldefauls table, do I update this to 2007 via update query or there is any other process to update this value?\\

Is there any steps of documents I can use to migrate 2003 format dimensions/Reports/Input templates to 2007 formats, like what all parameters need to be changed etc.

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

In which property/parameter I need to define xlsx in application set paramaters?

DEFAULT_EXTENSIONS should contains all the extension used inside BPC.

I have checked and yes it is 2003 mentioned for MEMBERSHEET_VERSION field in tbldefauls table, do I update this to 2007 via update query or there is any other process to update this value?\\

yes, no process update in BPC you should use an update query via SSDS whit

keyID ='MEMBERSHEET_VERSION'.

Is there any steps of documents I can use to migrate 2003 format dimensions/Reports/Input templates to 2007 formats, like what all parameters need to be changed etc.

sorry I never see any documents about it but if I remember well these are the only things to do.

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

DEFAULT_EXTENSIONS property under Appset parameters is empty right now, should I write a value xlsx there or I need to write xls,xlsx both there.

Thanks & Regards,
Rohit

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

normally it works also with DEFAULT_EXTENSIONS empty but as written in appset parameter

This parameter is used in:

•   Interface for the Web - When posting documents in the Content library menu
  •   Interface for Office - Send Data, Journal-post, DM-Import.

to be sure I would add the list of extensions contained in the link above.

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

I opened a transformation file which was in .xls format and SaveAs it as .xlsx format and then tried to validate and process it but received the message "BPC- File extension not allowed for upload" then I have added [ALL] in DEFAULT_EXTENSIONS and ALLOW_EXTENSIONS properties under Appset parameters in BPC Admin module and after that I was able to validate and process the transformation file.

The issue is that when I try to open the Transformation file I see only ".xls" file type available to be opened, I need to open the newly created .xlsx format file but the option for it is not visible.

Please Advice.

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

have you try closing and restarting BPC? If so please read this note 1289927 - Supporting office 2007 and 2010 system.

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

Yes I have restarted BPC and also verified that "Microsoft Office Access database engine 2007" which comes as we install 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components (as refered in note 1289927) is already install on our application server.

Its very strange that when I try to open any Transformation/Conversion file it shows "File of type:  Excel files(*.xls)" in file open window whereas when I try to open any Report/Template it shows:

File of type:  All Excel Files(*.xls,*.xlt,*.xlsx,*.xlsm,*.xltx,*.xltm)

Should I open a new message for this?

Please Advice.

Thanks & Regards,

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

when you use a import file are you able to choose *.* in the transformation file?

I've found only a limitation for 5.1 version in 1287801 - Supporting Office 2007 system in Data manager but not in 7.5 1699384 - Planning and Consolidation 7.5M Restrictions Note so I think you should ask to SAP for this.

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

I have seen in Import package and there are 2 options available for "File of Type":

1. Transformation file (*.xls)

2. All Files (*.*)

but even with All Files selected as File of Type .xlsx files are not available for selection.

I am opening this in new thread to see if someone else can help.

Thanks & Regards,
Rohit

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Can you please help me with this issue:

when I click to browse/choose file in EPM - Data manager - > it is stucked and nothing happened , I need to cancel or kill the process. This is happening in sandbox and development, Q and P is working ok. Do you know please where should be the issue ?

Thank you in advance.

Norbert

former_member229290
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Rohit,

Roberto is right and you can have also a look at the Product Availability Matrix:

https://websmp105.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001149272011E

In slide N°3 it is stated that

Microsoft Office 2013 (32bit and 64bit from BPC SP10 and onwards)

Best Regards,

Noura