cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference with Groupware Integration

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand the overall architecture difference between Groupware Integration and Desktop Connection for SAP CRM.

Let's assume you have an end-user who is using Outlook and SAP CRM.

How will you describe from a user point of view the difference between the 2 products ?

Please try to reply with a 'User Centered" point of view and not from an IT point of view ?

Of course the IT point of view is also appreciated.

The 2nd question I have is Desktop Connection for SAP CRM is leveraging SAP NW gateway and Odata.

So I am assuming relevant Odata Services are delivered by SAP.

How do you position this new product vs the Gateway for Microsoft solution ?

The 3rd question is :

Assuming we have SAP NW Gateway, SAP CRM and Outlook.

What will be your recommendation on the product to be used between the 2 products highlighted in the first sentence ?

Why ?

Patrick.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It depends on the groupware integration solution vs desktop connection in terms of comparing from the user pesprective.

1)

Server side - user did not do anything beyond having additional data in outlook.

Client side - user had to "sync data" and had additional data in outlook.

In both cases the outlook data felt "foreign" to outlook and not quite like a natural extension.

Desktop connection - user has to sync, but outlook is "extended" and data from CRM works like an extension of outlook.

2) Yes your assumption is correct oData and gateway are used to communicate with the "outlook plugin" that is installed on the users desktop..  If you are on EHP3, then you only need to install the add-on to your system.  For other release you need to install both gateway and the add-on component.

3) It depends if the delivered SAP scenarios meet your needs right now.  My personal evaluation is that the solution which is very nice, still has some gaps in extensiblity that won't be resolved until the end of this year when looking at the product roadmap.  It's relatively easy to configure, so if you have a sandbox system, I strongly recommend you spend some time putting it into your sandbox and seeing whether it meets your needs.

Take care,

Stephen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your quick reply.

I need to do see in action for Groupware to understand your "foreign" reply (I am an architect .. I will contact the internal CRM team).

There is one question in my list :

How do you position Desktop Connection for SAP CRM vs Gateway for Microsoft (old name GWPAM) solution ?

Should it not be part of this suite of products offered through GfM ?

0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

you ask for the difference between GWM (Gateway for Microsoft) and DCN (Desktop Connection):

GWM is more a "tool" to build such integration scenarios, while DCN is one specific implemented integration.

Means: With GWM you can bring data from CRM to Microsoft Products, but there's no business logic implemented, no views are delivered, no objects are defined, ...

DCN already brings a complete solution - which works directly after installation, as it "mirrors" CRM standard objects. All local views, obect definitions, logic for duplicate resolving, ... are already included. Furthermore, DCN brings a concept of distribution of the screens and a enhancement concept to influence the behaviour and the look-and-feel of the Outlook integration.

For more information you can follow these links:

GWM: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-47563 ("Overview" may help)

DCN: Desktop Connection for SAP CRM - CRM - SCN Wiki

Hope that helps a bit...

Best regards,

Alex

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi,

Concerning Q&A 1) Server Side / Client Side / Desktop Conn.

So in fact de DC is, compared to Server/Client Side, also a client side tool.

Which means that, compared to sever side, there is no auto synch with all kinds of (mobile) devices ?

So, it is more comparable with Client Side Groupware integration, but now uses SAP Gateway/Odata instead of an activeX ?

Tx for clearing this out.

Jan

0 Kudos

Hello Jan,

some answers and comments to your questions:

So in fact de DC is, compared to Server/Client Side, also a client side tool.

--> That's right. Desktop Connection needs a client-side installed part and the synchronization is controlled by the client (i.e. sync is initiated by the client, the server is not aware of all the clients he syncs data to).

Which means that, compared to sever side, there is no auto synch with all kinds of (mobile) devices ?

--> There is in fact a distribution of data, but you cannot call it "automatic": When data is sync'ed down to the client (from CRM backend), this data (e. g. contacts) are afterwards cached in the Exchange Mailbox. When a mobile device is sync'ed with the Exchange Server, this device will get the data, too (after the sync to local machine). Updates however are only sync'ed via the client which has installed the DC software on it. So there is now direct "update channel" between a mobile device and the CRM backend. Changes from a mobile device you would first see in your Outlook, and after the next sync of DCN also in the CRM backend. And another limitation: That works only for native data types (e.g. Contacts), not for CRM-specific objects and fields (e.g. Leads).

So, it is more comparable with Client Side Groupware integration, but now uses SAP Gateway/Odata instead of an activeX ?

--> The pendant for ActiveX which is used now is a specific Outlook Plugin/Sync Engine. OData/Gateway is part of the infrastructure which is used.

Hope that helps.

Otherwise, just let us know your questions...

BR,

Alex