cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CrystalDecisions.Web.CrystalReportViewer 10.0 fails after upgrade to Server 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are running a Web App written with Visual Studio 2003 using Crystal Reports 10.0.In an attempt to upgrade an existing server from 2003 to 2008, we cloned the server, tested the clone, then upgrade it to 2008 32 bit.

Reports loaded fine on the clone but stopped working after the upgrade.

I loaded Visual Studio 2003 and source on the server to try and trace the problem. It looks like the report viewer component fails to load in the VS designer. In place of the control, there is a grey button with red text "Error Creating Control - CrystalReportViewer1".

Is there something I need to do to the upgraded 2008 server to make this application work?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188030
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

CR 10 does not support / is not compatible on Windows Server 2008.

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?original_fqdn=wiki.sdn.sap.com&pageId=56787567

Also, CR 10 is quite old version of CR and there has been many changes to the product since, the underlying architecture and report engine. I would strongly recommend to upgrade.

- Bhushan

Senior Engineer

SAP Active Global Support

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Getting started and moving ahead with Crystal Reports .NET applications.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What would be involved in upgrading? Is it just a run-time or do we need to purchase Crystal Reports? Will the app need to be re-compiled? Will the report itself need to be modified?

Thanks for your help!

former_member188030
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Depends on what version of VS you will be looking to upgrade to.

See this KB : http://search.sap.com/notes?id=0001514084&boj=/sap/bc/bsp/spn/scn_bosap/notes.do?access=69765F6D6F64...

Mentions the CR + VS compatibility chart.

CR 2008 does require you to purchase a license. CR for VS 2010 / 2012 / 2013 is free.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7824

Yes, you would need to recompile the application with the new version of CR assemblies. (CR 2008 - 12.0, CR for VS 2010 - 13.0). and redeploy it using respective runtimes.

Reports should not be redesigned but needs an upgradation. You could simply open the report in the newer designer refresh and save them.

-Bhushan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually, I cannot upgrade Visual Studio. If a re-compile is involved, it would have to be done in VS 2003. Is there something that will allow me to compile Crystal Reports support into a VS 2003 application running under Server 2008 x86?

Thanks for your help!

Gary

former_member188030
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is only other version which works with VS 2003 which is CR 2008.

However, for compatibility with Win2k8 server, change of CR version is inevitable and thus the recompiling of the application.

The main thing is 'Version of CR should support the OS and the VS'.

-Bhushan

0 Kudos

The other issue is VS 2003 is no longer supported by MS.

Products ReleasedLifecycle Start DateMainstream Support End DateExtended Support End DateService Pack Support End DateNotes
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise Architect7/10/200310/14/200810/8/201310/9/2007
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise Developer7/10/200310/14/200810/8/201310/9/2007
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional Edition7/10/200310/14/200810/8/201310/9/2007
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Service Pack 19/15/2006Review NoteReview NoteSupport ends 12 months after the next service pack releases or at the end of the product's support lifecycle, whichever comes first. For more information, please see the service pack policy at http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/#ServicePackSupport.

Page Tools

Therefore we can't support it either. Only option is to upgrade Visual Studio also. I doubt MS has done anything to make it work on that OS or at least checked to see it it works or not.

I assume you are upgrading to Server 2008 to be supported and compliant so you need to do the same for VS. Only other option is to keep it running on Server 2000 or 2003

Good luck

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

The upgrade to Server 2008 is for compliance with IT policies regarding patching and OS support. The application is a 3rd party add-on to SAP R3 in the process of being phased out for another vendor's offering. There is an overlapping interval, where we must use Server 2008 with the legacy application. Migrating the web app to VS 2010 or later isn't on the table at this point. It may become necessary but at this time, management is not convinced it is the correct path.

If it were up to me, I'd take it to VS 2013 on Server 2012 R2, but that is probably the reason I don't get to make those kinds of decisions.

former_member188030
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The only option I see is to convince the management for an upgrade.

Because, what use of the application which would not work on the new OS and is neither supoprted by MS or SAP?.

-Bhushan

Former Member
0 Kudos

The application works fine. Only Crystal doesn't work. Crystal is a very small part of this application, just one report.  The app has a very short life left. They will have the report rewritten in HTML before they agree to migrate the application.

0 Kudos

Well since you are dropping SAP products there is not much we can do or you can do. Until the complete conversion is done stay on the old Server where it's supported and works.

Without being able to upgrade CR runtime and Visual Studio not much if anything we can suggest to get you working. You are using unsupported and untested OS's with a CR version that was never tested or supported on that OS.

Good luck...

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wait... I didn't say we're dropping SAP, we're dropping a 3rd party addon to R3 in favor of a similar product from SAP. We are running R3 with no plans to change.

Sorry for the miscommunication.

And I thank you for your support. Most would just say "tough luck, I don't want to help you", but not here. My immediate problem had been solved with the help of good people on this very thread. And we now own a license for CR 2008. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Hi Gary,

Thanks for clarifying. Likely the issues is the CrystalReportViewer Folder needs more permissions.

Other typical issue is the \Temp folder needs full read/write abilities by IIS for your application.

Fiddler should show you what is missing...

Don

Answers (0)