Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class type 017 & 201 in DMS

former_member225123
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I have one requirement in DMS where variant configuration is required. Certain fields required to make mandatory, Certain values & fields are controlled by previous values & fields...Using class type 017, Configurable profile functions are not working properly. Pls comment & suggest the difference between class type 017 & 201. Also refer any good documents of variant configuration where i can find dependency usage.

Looking forward for your valuable inputs.

Rrgards,

Gaurav Ahuja

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gaurav,

If you are using variant configuration & class 300 , i can say it can be achived.

You can use dependencies to control characterstic attributes ( mandatory, optional, dependent value etc).

you can use below link to know  more on dependencies

LInk

If you reply with an example , i and other group members may help you with sample syntax.

Thanks

Ritesh

former_member225123
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

I am making one field one characteristic mandatory using entry required option but still system saving document with no entry in mandatory field. I am using class type 017. One more thing. Is long text is possible in characteristics ?

Regards

Gaurav    

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

for making fields mandatory you can use tick mark field required in CT04 transaction.

Thanks

Ritesh

former_member225123
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have ticked in the Entry Required option in CT04, It is not working. System allowing to save document with no value in characteristic.

Should i use class type 201 in DMS. I am currently using class type 017.

Regards

Gaurav

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have created a characterstic with entry required tick mark in CT04, attached it to doc with class type 017.

If you do not assign value to this characterstic , you will get message like below.

so please check your characterstic and its assignment in doc once again and come back.

Thanks

Ritesh

Status changed: missing values for required chars in
XX1000000000000001000000052600000

Message no. CL500

Diagnosis

You want to save an allocation to a class with released status.
However, the class contains characteristics for which an entry is required.

System Response

The system changes the status of the allocation to incomplete.

Procedure

If you want to save the allocation with released status, first you
must assign values to all the required characteristics. Then you can set the
status you require.

Note

The classification status affects functions such as the find objects
function. You can define whether objects with incomplete classification
status are included in the search result.

If the classification status of a configurable material is incomplete
for an allocation to a class, this does not affect configuration.

former_member225123
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ritesh,

I agree but in popup is just a warning popup, i am able to save document without entry any entry in mandatory field.

Screenshots for ur reference.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

so do you have option to change this message into error instead of warning at your landscape?

I dont have sand box available , other wise i could have test it myself and update you on same.

At this moment what's ever i can suggest i already replied you.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks

Ritesh

ravi_ekambaram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

This happens if you navigate to 'additional data' tab & come out without filling data.

Recommend to fill the data when you navigate to 'Additional data' tab and also have some indicator along the characteristics text (like *) for mandatory characteristics.

And coming back to your other query, you can use 'Sub-ordiinate values" concept in a characteristic value to meet the field dependency values.

For e.g If you have a selection '2Wheeler' and in turn user should be able select further whether it is a 'Motorcycle' or 'Scooter' and further if user selects 'Motorcycle', then model names should appear. For this you can create a characteristic 'Vehicle Model' & maintain values- 2, 3 & 4 Wheeler. Then create sub values for 2Wheeler again with Motorcycle & Scooter and further so on..

This method helps user to select the values based on the drill downs and search in CV04n also works better.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ravi

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gr8 suggestion Ravi.

Thanks for sharing one of the best practices.

I agree to what you suggested, instead of always searching for options to make things mandatory, its advisable to change and make our users aware of process and benefits of following set processes.

Thanks

Ritesh

former_member225123
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Ravi & Ritesh,

One more thing,

1. Can we have long text in characteristics..Users require one field of remarks/feedback but what i can see only 30 characters is the limit if Char type. Is their any workaround to extend the limit.

2. One of our characteristics values change every year, when i go & delete values from characteristics & update them, they are disappearing from my earlier posted DIR's. The posted document should contain earlier characteristics. Pl assist.

Regards

Gaurav Ahuja

ravi_ekambaram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Answering to your questions..

1) Characteristics values are limited to 30 chars and cannot be extended.Better to have custom field for this in basic data tab.

2) Char values once deleted from the characteristic will delete the values from the existing DIR's also. It is not recommended to delete the char values which are already assigned to DIR. Better to retain them in the bottom and add new char values in the top.

Regards,

Ravi