Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BI 4.1 - 2 or 3 systems landscape?

stephane_lamarche
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using a 2 system landscape for our old Xi 3.1 landscape, but we are about to install Bi 4.1 and I was wondering if we should install a 2 or 3 system landscape on the new servers. Just to clarify I'm talking about having either a Test/DEV server and a Production server or the traditional SAP 3 system landscape of DEV-QA-PRD.

I guest a 3 system landscape would have it's advantages since it could connect to our DEV-QA-PRD SAP instances (ERP and BW).

I think most SAP BI landscapes are still 2 systems (DEV-PRD), but I was wondering what you guys think about this?

Thanks

Stephane

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stephane,

most of my customers go for the 3-system landscape on the BO side so it is aligned with the BW landscape being also 3-layered. Having a 3-2 layer landscape will have a small overhead when trying to connect to the three backend system from only two front end systems (like having different folders for each connection). This overhead is gone when if you go for a 3-3 landscape.   

Do you really connect to BW Dev AND BW QA from your BO DEV? If yes, then a 3-3 Landscape will be better for you.

If you only go straight to BW QA (no need for BW Dev) from BO DEV, then no need for the overhead and 3-2 should be better suited for you.

Best regards,

Victor

stephane_lamarche
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Totally makes sense.

Thanks

Stephane

Answers (0)