cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting the permissions to the personal folder in KM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi steffi,

I have created the KM iview using the path  /~alias~/userhome/<user.id>/Personal Documents and i have assigned to one custom role  and the newly created folder is visible to only the particular loggedin user.

Now my requirement is Folder which is created for the user in the userhome should have only the read the permissions, only the admin should have full control access.

I have set the Read permissions to the Userhome folder but it didnt worked.

Can you please help me to fix this.........??

REgards,

Mahesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mahesh,

you want a folder in the userhome of every user, that only the user and the admin can access, but only the admin should have full access and the user can only read the content of that folder? Did I understand that correctly?

Where did you set the read-permission? Please share screenshot.

Regards,

Steffi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, that's my requirement.Only admin should have the full access and the only loggedin user should have only Read permissions folder which created in Userhome inside his folder by Admin.

And the admin should create the new folder if required...

For Ex. Admin will create the testfolder for test user in Userhome, their admin will upload the employee payslip and the employee should only view the payslip.

I have set the permissions to the Userhome folder in KM Content.

Please tell where should i make changes....

Former Member
0 Kudos

And Using the Admin user i have created the new folder  in the user home of the user.

But the newly created folder is not diplaying in the iview only i can see the Personal documents folder.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to create the new folder in the "Personal Documents"-folder, as the link (/~alias~/userhome/<user.id>/Personal Documents) is pointing to that exact folder.

Did you try to set the read-permission on the test-folder itself?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

Thanks for the reply. Only Admin will create the folders not the users.

Inorder to achieve that i have created the KM Navigation iview using the path "/~alias~/userhome/<user.id>/"  and assigned to one custom role.

I have loggedin as a admin and created two custom folders in path KM Content-->userhome--><user.id>, and that reflecting correctly when i loggedin as a user but they are displaying with full Access.

I tried to the change the permissions of the custom folders which are created inside the Userhome, but they are in the disable mode i am unable to change the permissions.Please find the below screen shot.

When the user loggedin for the time he should only have the read access, Can you please tell me where do i need to change.

Please correct me if i am wrong.....

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you change the permission of the whole user-folder, the users won't be able to create favorites.

Did you try to create a test-folder in the personal documents as an admin and change the permissions there to read, too? Please try this at least once.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

As suggested i have created the new folder inside the Personal documents, but when i try to change the permissions i am able to change.Befault it showing full control to the user id.

In my case Admin will not set the permissions, he only creates and deletes content and when the user login to portal he should only view the content which was uploaded by Admin....

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But you wrote:

Only Admin will create the folders not the users.

So if an admin is creating the folder if needed, that he/she can also set the permissions. Or do you have different people doing this?

We had another thread here these days, where the permissions didn't change in the "KM content"-view. Can you please check, if the permission is saved as "Read" when you try the same through "KM Content > Toolbox > Permissions"?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes only admin will create the folders, i have loggedin as a admin and created the folders inside the userid in Userhome.

As you suggested i tried to change the permission in the path KM Content-->Toolbox-->Permissions but still same issue i am uable to change the permissions.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmm, I think those permissions shouldn't be changed to "Read" for the users, because the Portal uses the userhome-folders (to store the favorites and deleted content for the user). So if you'd take away the "Full Control"-access from the users, there would probably be some issues sooner or later (I bet sooner^^).

So I guess you need to find another way to make this new requirement happen. Changing the permissions in the userhome around won't help you here.

You could create a new folder under "Documents", set the permissions there to "Read" for everyone and "Full Control" for the admins and then create a folder for each user under there (if the folder has the username as name, you can set the path there with "/Documents/<user.id>", too). Set the permissions for the folder to only the user and the admins and use that.

But that is a lot of effort, so I don't know if this won't be too much.

How many users are we talking here? Maybe create a script that can do that for you, I don't know (never done this before ^^).

I hope, the others here have some more ideas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steffi,

Thanks for the reply.

There are 3000 users who uses the portal, so if i create folders and assign permissions manually i may take longtime and whenever a new user is created in the portal the admin has to create the folder and permissions manually.

Any other suggestions to achieve my req.......????

regards,

mahesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manesh, without have read the whole thread, you wanna do a mass permission change and ressource creation folder in KM based on a custom lpgic? I had similar requests several times, there is no standard component for your needs. Write an own portal component if you dont want do it manually:

Generated Documentation (Untitled)

cheers