cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Java SDK API should be used to obtain data from BO Query Builder?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm basically trying to create a software using Java that gives the number of users logged in, connections to the server, session duration and number of reports run on the BO server in a day. I wanted to know if:

• The SDK can directly return the required values or will it open the BO environment and run the Query Builder through the GUI?
  • Also, is it necessary to execute the java code through batch script or are there other ways to integrate the code and call it as a part of a bigger project?
  • Do the jar files to be included in the Java code vary according to the version of BO installed?
  • In what way does the SDK code need to be modified according to the BO version?

For your reference, I'm working with BO 4.1.

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kirti,

You would be using the Business Intelligence platform Java SDK for achieving the derisred results.

More informatrion can be found from the guides available at

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/sbo41/en/sbo41_bip_java_dg_en.zip
http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/sbo41/en/sbo41_bipjava_apiRef_en.zip

•The SDK can directly return the required values or will it open the BO environment and run the Query Builder through the GUI?

You would be building your own application using the BO jars and through your code you will be querying the BO CMS repository to get the desired results. The queries used in the code are similar to that which you execute in query builder and you would not be invoking the the query builder GUI from code.

•Also, is it necessary to execute the java code through batch script or are there other ways to integrate the code and call it as a part of a bigger project?

It is up to you if you want to execute the java program in batch. It can be used to get the information reagrding a single objects as well and can be integrated in any project type if you are using the BO java API's in your project.

•Do the jar files to be included in the Java code vary according to the version of BO installed?

Yes from the support perspective you would need to upgrade the jars when you upgrade your BO Versions. There have not been majar changes in the Business Intelligence platform Java SDK from XI 3.x to BI 4.x, but it is recommended to upgrade your application jars when you upgrade your BO Server.

•In what way does the SDK code need to be modified according to the BO version?

There has been no need for modification as of now, apart from upgrading the jars.
If in future releases if some thing is removed or added, that information could be found from the API referrence guide available at the sap site.

SDK samples can be found from the below link

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Java+BusinessObjects+Enterprise+SDK+Samples

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-6220

Thanks,
Prithvi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prithviraj

Thanks a lot for your response, it is extremely helpful.

I had already come across the last link you have mentioned during the search for solutions at my end. It talks about JSP codes so I could not understand their relevance to my project. How do they come into play here and why are they required?

Regards

Kriti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kriti,

As far as SAP support is concerned, it is recommeded to use the Java API's in an Web Application Archive Structure(WAR). Thus all the samples provided on SAP site would contain the implementation part as .jsp pages as those would be run over the web.

However, you could develop a code in standalone mode and it would work as expected. But, please keep in note that if you face any issues while developing it in a stanalone java application, you would not get support from SAP Support.

This is documented in SAP Note:1219135.

Thanks,

Prithvi

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do a lot of "back-end" stuff with the SDK in Java that doesn't include a GUI.  For these I export the code to a runnable .jar file using the "Package required libraries into generated JAR" option in Eclipse.  I then create a .bat file that will run the .jar using "java -jar <path and name of .jar file>"

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dell

Thanks for your response.

I'm trying to create a platform-independent software, so using a batch script to run the jar file would make it Windows-specific. Is there any other way to include these jar files in my Java code?

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

.jar files can be run on any OS that supports Java.  For example, you would use a .sh file to run it on Unix/Linux instead of a .bat file.  Or they can be run from the command line.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dell

Thanks for your response. This is definitely one way of going about things. However, is there no common way to include these jar files for all OS?

Regards

Kriti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prithvi

How would the .jsp code be integrated into the Java code?

Thanks

Kriti

Former Member
0 Kudos

The .jsp are samples for understanding the work flow.

You can include the code logic in a .java file by creating a class.

Its similar to how you would be using any java API in your project. In similar way you would use the BusinessObjects java apis.

Business Objects APIs are reuired to connect to the BO server(Central management Server) and get you the required metadata information you require from CMS repository(InfoStore).

Also doing it in java makes it platform independent and you could run the code developed in it on any environment as Dell have suggested.

Thanks,

Prithvi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prithvi

This is great. Thanks a lot!

Regards

Kriti

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My understanding is that any jar file is platform independent.  So, if you package the library files into the jar file for you application you'll automatically get a jar file that should work on any OS that has a JVM installed.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, jar files are definitely platform-independent. My question is how to include those files in the Java code through a platform independent method rather than writing separate scripts for Windows and Linux.

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The files are only an example of how to run your compiled .jar - they have nothing to do with whether the library files are included in that .jar.

-Dell

Answers (0)