Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passing an input parameter to exported BODS executable file

djuricz
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am exporting BODS jobs to an executable to be run by an external scheduler and would like to know if it is possible to passing an input parameter to the job using a command line (such that I can store the passed in value in a global variable and use in workflows)?

Thanks,

Zlat

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

aasavaribhave
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

you can pass global varaible values using the -GV<GlobalVariableName=value> in command line option

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member205887
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Zlat,

While exporting job expand "Global Variables" and pass the value before clicking on Export.

Job: New_Job

Export

File name:
Job Server or Server Group:
Export Job Server:
Enable auditing:
Disable data validation statistics collection:
Enable recovery:
Recover from last failed execution:
Use password file:
Collect statistics for monitoring:
Collect statistics for optimization:
Use collected statistics:
Export Data Quality reports:
Distribution level:

Global Variables 

$START_DATETIME (datetime):
$START_DATE (date):
$START_TIME (time):
$END_DATETIME (datetime):
$END_DATE (date):
$END_TIME (time):
$ROW_COUNT (int):
djuricz
Explorer
0 Kudos

Is is possible to supply the parameters on the go - like from another ABAP or Java program that invokes the execution of a BODS job?

We want to feed global parameters by another process that dynamically supplies them.

Zlat

former_member106536
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You can do this using web services Run_Batch_Job, or you can export the execution command and wrap some code around it to populate the substitution and/or global variables.

The variable contents are now encrypted by default, so if you want to use plain text I believe the switch is -GI for that.  (or use the al_encrypt.exe to encrypt before populating)   Just be careful with punctuation.

I also dynamically load them into the enterprise scheduler database, for load balancing.  It works pretty slick. 

djuricz
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks, Joshua - good info. Is web service Run_Batch_Job() available in BODS 4.1?

former_member106536
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Sure is.  You can also execute them using a real-time datastore, but that would still require feeding the containing dataflow with your parameters.  (which could easily be tabled at that point).

I think its easier to just use the .bat files with the scheduler.  You go the other way you have to figure out a good way to get the executing job status.  run_batch_job is fire and forget which doesnt bode well with your scheduler.  ;(

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes it is possible to supply the parameters on the go in this way.

Say your job server is in a Unix box. You can edit the exported command file(.sh file) like any other shell script and add variables inside to accept input values from the command line. You can then assign this variable to the Global variables like '-GV<GlobalVariableName=value>' (as mentioned by Aasavari Bhave in an earlier post) in the job execution command.

Am sure this could be done in windows bat file too. This can be consumed in any other program which invokes the job, be it from a java program or a thrid party scheduler etc.