cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARQ: Multiple Approver Names are displayed in the same "New Work Item" Email Notification???

former_member184114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am facing problem where in, a request has multiple roles assigned. Each role has different role owner like: Role1 has ROLE1-OWNER and Role2 has ROLE2-OWNER and when the request is submitted, it goes to the manager. This triggers an email notification which has only one name like:

Dear XYZ,

Once manager approves this, this will go to role owner stage. Here the application is triggering 2 email notification for each role owner. The strange this is that, This has both the role owners' names mentioned!

For example,

Role1-Owner receives:

Dear Role1-Owner, Role2-Owner,

<Mail Body>

Role2-Owner also receives the same email:

Dear Role1-Owner, Role2-Owner,

<Mail Body>

Here both role owners are receiving the same email notification with their names mentioned in it!

Ideally, Role1-Owner should have received like:

Dear Role1-Owner,

<Mail Body>

and Role2-Owner should have received like:

Dear

Role2-Owner,

<Mail Body>

I dont have any clue why such multiple name are displayed in the notification.

Can anyone please help me?

Regards,

Faisal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member225180
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Faisal,

sorry I have misunderstood your question.

We have the same problem as you (SP15).

I've tried to implement s note 1614574,

It does not solve the same problem as you have in our system.

BR

Melanie

former_member225180
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Faisal,

we had nearly the same problem.

Our solution was the SAP note 1626046.

Maybe this will help here, too.

BR

Melanie

alessandr0
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Faisal,

as I am not sure how your notification template looks like I'll share my idea on notification. I have a different set up where all role owners receive the same email. My consideration is that even from the email all the approvers know who is also involved in the process and if questions come up they can be raised to all of them. Especially when several roles are requested.

See in my example two role owners (just as a test):

Did you consider send one email instead of severals?

Regards,

Alessandro

former_member184114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alessandro,

Thanks for sharing this information.

I notice that you are using "APPROVER" to address role owner(s). However, I would like to address them using their names.

When I use variable ( %APPROVER_FULL_NAME%) in the email body, system is collecting all the approver names and adding them in the email body. It is not sending the same email body to different approvers with their specific names!

May I know if this is possible to achieve this?

Regards,

Faisal

alessandr0
Active Contributor
former_member184114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alessandro,

we are on sp#14 and this does not seem to apply to us.

But would like to at least follow this note and check if these details are implemented or not.

Regards,

Faisal

alessandr0
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Faisal,

what I don't see is the advantage of sending to each approver seperately. Can you please update me what's your consideration on that?

Personally I see advantage of sending out one email to all of them in one shot. For transparency and also to see what other roles are requested is very helpful for business. Just think if a new employee starts and someone requests a user account. If you request 2 composite roles and 2 single roles, assume we have 4 different role owners, if I am one of them I would like to know what else is going to be authorized. Especially when it comes to cross functions or SOD violations. Probably I see the role I have to approve as conflicting (with the red bullet) but as I don't know what else is requested I can't decide.

Considering a change request for an existing user I can check in the system (SU01D) to see what authorization has the user already and in the email I see all the other requested roles. If this information is not in the email I don't know that, as in my approval screen I see only roles I have to approve. So from my point of view it supports the approver in knowing what has been requested.

Looking forward to your thoughts on that.

Regards,

Alessandro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alessandro,

We are training our requesters and approvers to review the request's Audit Log if they have any doubts about a request, as that should show all the roles that have been requested, any changes such as any roles that came into the request due to role mapping,  and where each role is in the approval workflows.

Regards,

Gretchen

alessandr0
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gretchen,

sure I fully agree with that. Personally I do the same. But from experience (maybe it's only in my company) approvers tend to be lazy when it comes to checking access requests properly. Most of them are happy if they can just click "submit" without any further action. I am aware that this is not how it should be, but as mostly high level managers are involved it's very difficult to change.

What I have seen quiete often in the past was, that an email was sent to a group of role owners and that one of them had some concerns regrading the access. He then replied to all and informed the others about his concerns and together they could remediate some issues. From my point of view a very smooth way to get all involved.

But as mentioned I agree with you. If approvers do their duty carefully then the audit log is the way to go.

Best regards,

Alessandro

former_member184114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alessandro,

Good to listen from you 🙂

What I don't see is the advantage of sending to each approver seperately. Can you please update me what's your consideration on that?

I personally feel that this is very subjective. I think I am of the same opinion as yours. As per your explanation, yes it seems to be useful to have multiple approvers' name in a mail.

But if a person wants to address each approver separately, then this understanding does not go with it. Therefore, it is quite difficult to arrive on one conclusion as other point may thrown many other details.

Personally I see advantage of sending out one email to all of them in one shot. For transparency and also to see what other roles are requested is very helpful for business. Just think if a new employee starts and someone requests a user account. If you request 2 composite roles and 2 single roles, assume we have 4 different role owners, if I am one of them I would like to know what else is going to be authorized. Especially when it comes to cross functions or SOD violations. Probably I see the role I have to approve as conflicting (with the red bullet) but as I don't know what else is requested I can't decide.

Yes, in this context if an approver is "really interested" in knowing these details, it is quite useful. But alternatively, an approver can also see these details from access request by clicking on "Show All Assignments" button -  but sure a long way!

These justifications look good and reasonable (I am with you). But again, this is subjective!

Regards,

Faisal

alessandr0
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

okay 🙂 understand as you know I am not a "techy" and I have the global responsilibity for the whole enterprise when it comes to GRC and internal controls. Hence I am always looking for other ways of thinking and how I can make our processes better 🙂

Thanks for your answer!

Regards,

Alessandro

former_member184114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alessandro,

Just another question regarding "Delegation Mail". I have noticed that when a person "XYZ" delegates to some one "PQRS", Application sends email notification to both of them and addressing to main approver only!

Like:

Dear XYZ,

This email notification is received by both XYZ and PQRS, While PQRS should have received it like:

Dear PQRS,

From the system behavior, it is evident that it is not picking up separate approvers. May you please share your thoughts on this and also may I know how it is configured at your end?

Secondly, may I know if this behavior can be changed by any standard way?

Regards,

Faisal

former_member184114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alessandro,

any advice/thought please.

Faisal

former_member184114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can anyone please help me?