cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR 2013 Runtime, VS 2012 and OutofMemory exception

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have recently migrated from VS 2008 to VS 2012 and so crystal reports for VS also moved to 13.0.9 version. Now one of the issues we are seeing from our web application deployed in production on IIS 6.0 on Win 2K3 is that when a module without any connection to crystal reports etc hits an exception of "out of memory", then everything else related to crystal reports stops working and it continues to throw Load report failed error message (in the event viewer on the server.) Has anyone reported this kind of error and what steps need to be taken to address? This also forces me to reset IIS which means users are forced logged out of the web application though they may have not been doing anything in crystal reports at all.

Thanks,

Surya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As silly as this will sound; don't let the module without any connection to crystal reports get to a state where it throws the "out of memory" exception?

Or, I don't have enough info to understand the issue. If the faulting module is part of your solution or running under the same process as the report processing part, then it makes sense that nothing else in the process will work(?). Or like I said, am I missing something here?

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Ludek,

I should have mentioned that in my question itself:

yes, we are working towards not letting the other modules get to the outofmemory. On further read-up of this error, i saw that it actually doesn't have anything to do with the actual physical memory on the machine. An allocation of memory failed and that causes this issue. So, in the meantime while we are working a solution to the other problems,  could there be any configuration setting for Crystal that can be enabled to let it continue working. Or like you are indicating - because they are all in the same process including the report processing part, there's not much that can be done.

One of the changes that we are trying also is the setting useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy and supportRuntime version = "4.0".

thanks,

Surya

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Surya

There is nothing from the CR side. I am not sure if MS would be able to help, but I dobt it - if I understand how these things work.

I also don't think useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy will help. For CR, this is only used if the reports are using crdb_adoplus.dll (datasets), but again, I don't think it will help re. the memory issue.

One thing I do wonder about is; perhaps if the reports were launched on a separate thread, then that part may still work(?).

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

So unlike other days where we were seeing Load Report failed errors due to outofmemory exceptions caused in other modules, yesterday and today - we saw directly the attached error message show up in the event viewer. There are no other event viewer errors before this and no error logs that we write out in case any unexpected exceptions happened before this to have caused this. Any insight into what may have caused this would be helpful. This will now go away as soon as I recycle the application pool for the web application deployed to IIS 6.0.

Also to help, the temp folder is on C drive which is of size 40GB and has 12G left and the Temp folder in itself is at 3GB.

Thanks,

Surya

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is way too confusing. Initially you came with the following:

...when a module without any connection to crystal reports etc hits an exception of "out of memory", then everything else related to crystal reports stops working and it continues to throw Load report failed error message...

Now, you are saying that you get the out of memory error when running the report "nodule".

At this point I'd recommend two things:

1) Make sure you are using .close and .dispose on the report objects as you get donr with them

2) Create a phone incident here:

Crystal Single Case Technical Support - SAP Business Objects US Online Store | SAP Online Store

- Ludek

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Thanks for the update and the details to reach out to phone incident support. We are continuing to research more to ensure no more outofmemory exceptions happen. In this regard, i would like to add one more piece of information to see if something of the top comes to you to help us out: In the attached picture, is a screenshot of the error message regarding JRC engine. Can you please review and let us know what maybe the cause for this?

"a document processed by the JRC engine cannot be opened in the C++ stack." is the error message on the line in the graphic attached. this causes an unhandled exception and then eventually LoadReportFailed error.

Any suggestions in this regard is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Surya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

We have reviewed these and tried some changes in our environment for Windows 2003 and IIS 6.0 and we still saw the errors.

Additionally, as we are planning for a migration for our production environment, we created a completely new environment using Windows 2012 server OS and IIS7.0 and deployed a 64 bit version of the same application and still seeing the load report failed errors.

We are creating an instance of the report file within the VB.Net code and not using ReportDocument APIs and hence there's no ReportDocument.load() call happening in the code. This is something that has not been addressed in many of the online articles that provide solutions.

So a sample code piece as below is what we have in our application(AGModel is the report file name; agRptViewer is the Crystal ReportViewer control in Visual Studio):

"Dim agRpt As New AGModel

agRpt.SetDataSource(dsCurrDataSrc)

agRpt.SetParameterValue("strSelectParams", strSelectParams)

agRptViewer.ReportSource = agRpt

agRptViewer.DataBind()"

I also do have the agRpt.Close(), .Dispose() and agRptViewer.dispose() in the page_unload event as well.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We are also seeing the error message attached randomly and once we changed the printJoblimit to -1, then we are back to seeing the LoadReportFailed errors. (again on windows 2012 server)

thanks,

Surya

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Surya

The errors you are seeing just scream; Load is the issue here.... I have quickly scanned over this thread, but do not see a mention of the loads you are putting on the CR print engine.

In any case, I think this has gone on for a while now and it may be time to consider creating a phone incident. It just does not feel like we'll solve this on these forums...

Phone incidents can be created here:

http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/en_US/pd/productID.98078100

- Ludek