cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP 64bit Linux application server (Linux on Power) memory config issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

Let me give some background. I have been tasked with replacing our AIX6.1 SAP application server with new Linux on Power servers (SLES11SP3)

Our current production BW application servers (AIX) are running fine given their current setup. We are fine implementing the same size of the AIX systems on the new Linux systems, but we now have more room to grow in the fur, however when I tried to implement the Linux server using the same memory sizing I am getting runtime errors: "TSV_TNEW_PAGE_ALLOC_FAILED" with a specific user created program and process chain. The AIX servers do not run into this issue running the exact same program. When this process runs, it utilizes 3 BTC process for the program.

Using the note 941735, I have tried to correctly setup the system using STD memory implementation, however I have a feeling that I am missing something or setup something incorrectly which is causing the above issue. Looking in ST02 here is the SAP buffer parameters for two of the systems. Perhaps someone might notice something that I am not see or point me in the right direction. Please let me know if more parameters from the profile are needed. Thanks!

AIX system (existing):

ztta/roll_area              6500000    Byte Roll area per workprocess (total)

ztta/roll_first             1          Byte First amount of roll area used in a dialog WP

ztta/short_area             3200000    Byte Short area per workprocess

rdisp/ROLL_MAXFS            32768      8 kB Maximum roll file size

rdisp/ROLL_SHM              16384      8 kB Part of roll file in shared memory

rdisp/PG_SHM                16384      8 kB Part of paging file in shared memory

rdisp/PG_LOCAL              150        8 kB Paging buffer per workprocess

em/initial_size_MB          2027       MB   Initial size of extended memory

em/blocksize_KB             4096       kB   Size of one extended memory block

em/address_space_MB         4092       MB   Address space reserved for ext. mem. (NT only)

em/global_area_MB           256        MB   Extended global memory

ztta/roll_extension         2000000000 Byte Max. extended mem. per session (external mode)

abap/heap_area_dia          2000000000 Byte Max. heap memory for dialog workprocesses

abap/heap_area_nondia       2000000000 Byte Max. heap memory for non-dialog workprocesses

abap/heap_area_total        2000000000 Byte Max. usable heap memory

abap/heaplimit              250000000  Byte Workprocess restart limit of heap memory

abap/use_paging             0               Paging for flat tables used (1) or not (0)

abap/shared_objects_size_MB 20         MB   Shared objects

Linux system (new):

ztta/roll_area              6500352    Byte Roll area per workprocess (total)

ztta/roll_first             1024       Byte First amount of roll area used in a dialog WP

ztta/short_area             3200000    Byte Short area per workprocess

rdisp/ROLL_MAXFS            131072     8 kB Maximum roll file size

rdisp/ROLL_SHM              32768      8 kB Part of roll file in shared memory

rdisp/PG_SHM                16384      8 kB Part of paging file in shared memory

rdisp/PG_LOCAL              150        8 kB Paging buffer per workprocess

em/initial_size_MB          4092       MB   Initial size of extended memory

em/blocksize_KB             4096       kB   Size of one extended memory block

em/address_space_MB         4096       MB   Address space reserved for ext. mem. (NT only)

em/global_area_MB           256        MB   Extended global memory

ztta/roll_extension         2000683008 Byte Max. extended mem. per session (external mode)

abap/heap_area_dia          2000683008 Byte Max. heap memory for dialog workprocesses

abap/heap_area_nondia       2000683008 Byte Max. heap memory for non-dialog workprocesses

abap/heap_area_total        2000683008 Byte Max. usable heap memory

abap/heaplimit              250609664  Byte Workprocess restart limit of heap memory

abap/use_paging             0               Paging for flat tables used (1) or not (0)

abap/shared_objects_size_MB 20         MB   Shared objects

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you attach full dump (preferably as file attachment)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey is a copy of the ABAP runtime error. Is this what you are looking for?

Remove the txt extension to open PDF file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Per the note 941735 - "SAP memory management for 64-bit Linux systems", I have removed the parameter ES/TABLE and any parameters containing ES/SHM from the instance profile. It appears in RZ10 that that this profile is loading the default ES/TABLE = UNIX_STD and all other parameters are using system defaults.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

There are certain parameters that are specific to AIX. You may refer this link to know those parameters.

Configuration for AIX (SAP Library - SAP Memory Management (BC-CST-MM))

If you have the parameter set ES/TABLE = SHM_SEGS then EM/TOTAL_SIZE_MB is the one that comes into play and not the em/initial_size_MB.

Again analyse the dump to identity what the problem is.

RB

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lawson,

Just open this note and download the PDF.

2045738 - AIX: TSV_TNEW_PAGE_ALLOC_FAILED

Have a look ino it.

Divyanshu

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the two notes. I actually used note 1310037 for my actual setup.

I would like to understand why I would be having this issue on Linux using the same values (or greater) as AIX instances, while AIX has no such issues.

fabian_herschel
Participant
0 Kudos

Do you have sapconf installed on your system?

This package provided by SUSE changes the SLES Kernel defaults to match better to the SAP resource requirements.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes sapconf has been installed. sapconf however only sets the kernel settings.

I was able to resolve the issue by having Zero Admin tool using 'es/implementation = map' and setting the PHYS_MEMSIZE to the desired amount. Then commenting out all the values that are defaulted in the 32bit version of the memory management guide for linux and let it size many of the values. Then I simply copied those from st02. I updated the profile with those values to override default for  'es/implementation = std' and commented out PHYS_MEMSIZE as it is not needed. In a nut shell, the following parameters were updated.

es/implementation = std

em/address_space_MB = 4096

em/blocksize_KB = 4096

em/initial_size_MB = 14320

em/max_size_MB = 14326

rdisp/PG_MAXFS = 131072

rdisp/PG_SHM = 16384

rdisp/ROLL_MAXFS = 131072

rdisp/ROLL_SHM = 131072

ztta/roll_area = 6500352

ztta/roll_extension = 4000000000

ztta/roll_extension_dia = 4000000000

ztta/roll_extension_nondia = 4000000000

ztta/roll_first = 1

fabian_herschel
Participant
0 Kudos

Of course sapconf does only prepare the operation system, not the SAP system. This would

be out of scope. But sapconf does more to only configuring the kernel, it does also change the user limits of typical sap users.