Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

merged dimension gives #syntax error

former_member186586
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

i have a simple report that contains 2 query.

i merged two dimensions and everything looks like fine.

but when i just refresh the query it gives me syntax error;

bo system : 4.1 sp3 and both of queries are bex queries.any suggestion please.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erdem,

This looks similar to the issue report in SAP KBA 1986398 - Merged Dimensions from BW BEx Queries containing prompts show #SYNTAX or are removed from Web Intelligence reports on refresh which is fixed in BI 4.1 SP3 Patch 1.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Manpreet

sateesh_kumar1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Erdem,

Did you updated your client version ?

Are you using any formula in the column? .We observed an issue (# Syntax error ) when formulas/variables used for merged dimensions with the patch level mismatch .

former_member186586
Active Participant
0 Kudos

i noticed that client tools is sp01.i think this could be problem.i will update and try again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any luck? I'm having the same issue even on the 4.1.3, my version is 4.1.3.1257. So looks like it was not fixed in 4.1.3?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erdem and Wak,

I have tested issue with BI 4.1 SP04 and I am not able to reproduce it.

Could you please let us know following thing :
1. Is this issue specific to viewer? (Check behavior of report with Web/Applet mode)
2. Is this migrated report?
3. What is the behavior with newly created report?
4. As per your initial screenshots it seems like issue is only with one merge dimension “Magazacilik lok”

Regards,
Veer

former_member186586
Active Participant
0 Kudos

1- same behavior web and applet mode.

2- no

3-same behaviour.

4-you can see 2 merged dimension in first screenshot.it shows perfectly without refresh already.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veer,

1) same behaviour with Applet as well as web mode

2) No

3) I created a webi report, added two bex queries, Country Code is the common dimension which I'm trying to merge. Once both BEx queries are freshed and the objects from both queries are available in in the report to choose from, I try to merge them Country Code, however the merge option isn't even available (i.e. it does not allow merging by selecting objects or choosing the merge from the menu). As a work around I pull the Country code in the report pane from each query as a seprarate objects, ( i notice Country code object from Query one has the values while the Country Code from the second query has the #TOREFRESH, although both query were refreshed at start).

Since both Country Code objects are on the report cavas, I refresh both queries again. Now I see the values in both objects. Now if I select the Country code from the left hand panel it allows merging. After merging, I drag the new merage counry code on the report Cavas i see the combined values (so far so good). Next I refresh the report again and magically the merged objects is disappeared from the report canvas and the #SYNTAX erro is it remains there.

As I said, I am using 4.1 with Sup Pak 3, build 1257.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

WAK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wak,

As answer to your question you can refere following SCN link :

As per KBA 1986398, Merged dimensions from SAP BW BEx Queries that contain variables will display #SYNTAX on refresh

This issue has been raised as product defect and fixed in BI 4.1 SP03 Patch 3.1 and BI 4.1 SP04.

Hope this will help...!!!

Regards,

Veer

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

former_member186586
Active Participant
0 Kudos

problem logged ADAPT01722584.

i looked 4.1 sp2 patch6 ficex issues and;

ADAPT01722583

Description: When we try to refresh a WebIntelligence report which is based on 2 merged BEX

queries, It throwing #SYNTAX error.

New Behaviour: Issue is Fixed

but i am using 4.1 sp3.. why this problem is still going on.