cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SySAM: License feature name: ASE_RDDB error

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am getting a strange error which I do not understand. I created a temporary database, created a group and that temporary DB to the group and then bind a login to the group. I am receiving  the following error in the log and also during the application launch and I don't understand why

When the application starts and the login executes a procedure the following error is received

Exception: dbo.usp_App_GetUser: You cannot run 'SELECT INTO' affecting database 'LocalTempDB01' because the ASE_RDDB license is either not available or has expired

The ASE error log shows

SySAM: License feature name:  ASE_RDDB

SySAM: FLEXnet Licensing error:-73,125

ASE Version

Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.7.0/EBF 20733 SMP ESD#03 /P/x86_64/Enterprise Linux/ase157esd3/3183/64-bit/FBO/Sat Dec  8 18:28:29 2012

I am not looking for any in memory feature but merely enabling multiple tempdbs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your response Mark. This server was created about a month ago and it has the proper license but for some reason it seemed IMDB option was enabled at installation. I was not the one who installed the server so I don't know what option was taken to enable this. The reason I think this was enabled at installation was because I had seen this message in the log prior to today but now the 30 grace period has expired.

SySAM: Checked out graced license for 1 ASE_RDDB (2012.1208) will expire Wed 23 Jul 2014 04:43:01 PM EDT.

00:0002:00000:00000:2014/07/08 10:41:42.39 kernel  SySAM: Failed to obtain license(s) for ASE_RDDB feature from license file(s) or server(s).

00:0002:00000:00000:2014/07/08 10:41:42.39 kernel  SySAM: Licenses exist for ASE, but a license containing the configured (PE=EE;AS=A) attributes could not be obtained. Verify that ASE is configured to use the correct type of license, and either reconfigure; or generate and deploy the desired license from the Sybase Product Download Center.

00:0002:00000:00000:2014/07/08 10:41:42.39 kernel  SySAM: License feature name:  ASE_RDDB

Is there a way to remove this option from the server?

I did not create the DB but I am sure the script is saved somewhere but my colleague who created it is off sick today.

exec sp_helpdb LocalTempDB01

exec sp_helpdb tempdb

name        db_size      ownerdbidcreated    durabilitylobcomplvlinrowlenstatus                                                                                                            
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LocalTempDB01   10240.0 MBsa    16Jul 08, 2014no_recovery         0    NULLselect into/bulkcopy/pllsort, trunc log on chkpt, abort tran on log full, user created temp db, allow wide dol rows

device_fragmentssize        usage              created            free kbytes    
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LocalTemp_data_01    6144.0 MBdata only          Jun 24 2014  9:31AM         6263568
LocalTemp_log_01    4096.0 MBlog only            Jun 24 2014  9:31AMnot applicable 

log only free kbytes = 4177888                     

name  db_size      ownerdbidcreated    durabilitylobcomplvlinrowlenstatus                                                                                  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tempdb    5102.0 MBsa     2Jul 08, 2014no_recovery         0    NULLselect into/bulkcopy/pllsort, trunc log on chkpt, mixed log and data, allow wide dol rows

device_fragmentssize        usage              created            free kbytes    
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
master                 6.0 MBdata and log        Jun 23 2014  4:43PM            2552
tempdbdev          1000.0 MBdata and log        Jun 23 2014  4:44PM         1020000
tempdbdev2          4096.0 MBdata and log        Jul 24 2014  9:12AM         4177864

So I had to increase the default tempdb and now the logins are working fine when they require tempdb. If you look at the output there are no difference in the attributes for the user created tempdb [LocalTempDB0]and the default tempdb [tempdb]

Using ddlgen to extract the create table statement I get the following

CREATE TEMPORARY DATABASE LocalTempDB01

ON LocalTemp_data_01 = '6144M' -- 1572864 pages

LOG ON LocalTemp_log_01 = '4096M' -- 1048576 pages

WITH DURABILITY = NO_RECOVERY

go

use LocalTempDB01

go

exec sp_changedbowner 'sa', true

go

exec master.dbo.sp_dboption LocalTempDB01, 'select into/bulkcopy/pllsort', true

go

exec master.dbo.sp_dboption LocalTempDB01, 'trunc log on chkpt', true

go

exec master.dbo.sp_dboption LocalTempDB01, 'abort tran on log full', true

go

exec master.dbo.sp_dboption LocalTempDB01, 'allow wide dol rows', true

go

checkpoint

go

exec master.dbo.sp_tempdb 'add' , 'LocalTempDB01', 'TempdbGroup01'

go

CREATE DATABASE tempdb

ON master = '6M' -- 1536 pages

go

ALTER DATABASE tempdb

ON tempdbdev = '1000M' -- 256000 pages

go

ALTER DATABASE tempdb

ON tempdbdev2 = '4096M' -- 1048576 pages

go

use tempdb

go

exec sp_changedbowner 'sa', true

go

exec master.dbo.sp_dboption tempdb, 'select into/bulkcopy/pllsort', true

go

exec master.dbo.sp_dboption tempdb, 'trunc log on chkpt', true

go

exec master.dbo.sp_dboption tempdb, 'allow wide dol rows', true

go

checkpoint

go

Mark_A_Parsons
Contributor
0 Kudos

Current client had a DBA that did the same thing ... built a new dataserver from scratch, enabled RDDB for a handful of user-created temporary databases, didn't notice the warning about a 30-day graced license, left the company, and when the 30-day graced license expired ... wellll ... let's just say anything touching those temp db's didn't work.

Some cursory searching of the manuals, solved cases (@ sybase.com), and the SAP KB didn't accomplish much.  While dropping/recreating the temporary databases should work, I just updated one of the status columns in sysdatabases and bounced the dataserver.

Which status column did I update? *shrug* I don't recall jotting down the details as it was fairly simple to see the difference in status values between tempdb and the user-created temporary databases. [NOTE: The ASE SP100 Reference:Tables manual doesn't list bit settings for RDDB related attributes.]

If you decide to go the 'update sysdatabases' route and you're not sure what to change, post back here with the sysdatabases records for tempdb and all user-created temporary databases.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please see the information attached regarding the temporary databases. I am not sure what status to change

select name, status, status2, status3, status4 from master..sysdatabases where name in ('tempdb','LocalTempDB01')

go

namestatusstatus2status3status4  
LocalTempDB01121131328548864  
tempdb12-32768131072540672  
Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe this option in the create statement triggered the In_Memory feature

DURABILITY=NO_RECOVERY

Mark_A_Parsons
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yep, that be the culprit.

By default temporary databases are automatically configured with durability = no_recovery so there's no need to explicitly state it in the 'create temporary database' command

Unfortunately, while the 'durability=no_recovery' is redundant for temporary databases and should probably be ignored, including the clause seems to trigger the need for the ASE_RDDB licensing requirement. [Probably a good candidate for a CR.]

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (0)