Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDOC trigger using Z change pointers for standard SAP table

Former Member
0 Kudos

For IDOC trigger, is using custom change pointers on standard SAP master data tables, a good idea? A seasoned abaper told me "it will mess with the standard" and further told to go with scheduled job.

So, for example, say that my data for table T001K is updated via transports in PRD and I need to transfer this updated data via IDOC to an external system. Since there is no standard message type for this data, I will create a new one. Further, I will create a new change pointer for table T001K (it already has six fields with their data elements activated for Change Documents). Then I link the message type and the new change pointer. And so on an so forth. I have followed the procedure given here:SAP Tips: A to Z of Custom Change Pointer

Now, the question is, will this be a good idea to capture data and trigger IDOC? Or a batch program with calls to standard FM to read CDHRD/CDPOS be a more suitable option.

I need to know if a near instantaneous data transfer (and an effecient one as far as the system performance and reliability is concerned) can be acheived. If there is any other way of doing this, I am not aware of it!

Any one has any input/experience on this?

1 REPLY 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Viktor,

I think the batch program approach would be a good solution as the by this way you are taking matter into your own hands rather giving control to the SAP framework because you may have to test out the other approach as to how the standard SAP framework is behaving for custom change pointers.

Thanks,

Ravi