cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BPC 10 (MS) : Data getting deleted when deleting a member

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We are implementing SAP BPC 10 (MS). We were testing our solution with the planning data and by mistake a member on which data had been posted got deleted from the Admin Client and a new member saved in its stead.

After deletion, the data disappeared from the reports (we did not delete any data but only one member on which data had been posted). We checked the SQL backend and found that all the data is deleted. To our surprise the system did not throw up a message and did not stop us unlike SAP BPC (NW). We never posted data on the newly defined member hence there is no question of data appearing on the new member. So, now we lost all our data and had to do a lot of re-work.

Is this by design for SAP BPC (MS)10 or are we missing a point? How can we avoid it? We dont want a situation where post go live admin user inadvertently deletes a memeber and whole planning data is lost. Please advice.

Thanks in advance

Rajat

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajat,

I see that all thread you opened are still "not opened" or "assumed answered". Closing a thread is your task not of the moderator, but the correct way to close the threads that are solved is assigning correct and\or helpful answers not simply pressing assumed answered

This feedback will help in the future other users with the same issue to find a solution.

"Assumed Answered" means that you didn't found a solution for this issue and it should be used only for this reason, and I cannot believe that all your questions are unaswered so please read How to close a discussion and why and ROE

and close properly the threads reducing the noise in the forums with duplicate questions and helping the other users.

Answering your question:

what do you do exactly?

1. Delete a member value and add a new member?
  2. or you changed the old ID with NewID?

In 1. case you should receive a message that a member XXXXX will be deleted and if you choose ok you loose the member and all the related data

In 2. case you can change again giving as NewID the old member and you will obtain again the deleted member and his data, if you recreate the member please note that the old data are migrated to the NewID (and not deleted).

Is this by design for SAP BPC (MS)10 or are we missing a point? How can we avoid it?

In MS version it's possible to delete used members, you receive a message when you start to process the dim but if you press OK you will loose the data.

You have to put more attention (to the messages) when you're using admin console.

Also doing regular incremental and full backup to be able to restore quickly could help depending on the lapse of time in which you realize the error and how many users in the meanwhile have worked.

If you realized before processing that you have deleted a member from a dimension, you can restore it quickly by selecting the dimension and pressing Export dimension on the Action Pane.

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

Thank you for the prompt response.

Apologies for keeping the thread open for so long; you had pointed it out earlier as well. I have closed it now.

We changed the Old ID to a New ID and once we realized what has happened we hoped that the data would get migrated on the New ID but in the backend we could not find old data on New ID. It only showed some new data posted on the New ID. And there was no data on Old ID.

Thank you for the possible solutions we would test them.

Regards,

Rajat

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajat,

yes, if you change your old ID, say AAAA, to the NewID, say CCCC, the data will be moved from old AAAA to the new CCCC, this is the normal behaviour and you don't loose the data, data are simply updated from AAAA member to CCCC member.

In this case to restore the situation would be sufficient to applying the NewID from the new existing CCCC to the old AAAA and also the data will be copied back to AAAA.

After that you can insert a new member CCCC in the dimension (better do this in a second process dimension).

Look at this link and you will see only one correctly answered, the others are still "assumed answered"

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

In the

i can see one Correct Answer and rest as Helpful Answer(s); and they are Helpful Answer(s). I believe this is correct.

Is some more action pending on me to close this as per the SDN guidelines?

Regards,

Rajat

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajat,

click on this link and you will see some open threads and a lot of closed answer but only the only closed well (with correct answer, etc.) is the one you mentioned all the other are "assumed answered", i.e. totally unuseful just noise, this I tried before to explain.

Regards

Robert

Answers (0)