cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel Upgrade on App Servers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

As project requirement, I need to Upgrade Kernel on production server where we have 1 CI and 10 DI.

I have always been doing kernel Upgrade by manually upgrading Kernel on all hosts but due to limited downtime and 10 App servers I am thinking to use SAPCPE method to upgrade the kernel.

Can you please tell me how can we use sapcpe to replicate kernel from CIs to DI.

Regards,

Shivam Mittal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Better not to exclude any executable that comes with SAP standard kernel package.

Also sapcpe will automatically take care of copying the executable to the dialog instances else it will be tedious and erroneous task to basis consultants who are taking care of landscaped having large number of dialog instances

Thanks and Regards,

Nikhil

willi_eimler
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shivam,

a kernel upgrade is not as easy as it was in the past.

If you want to upgrade to 7.20, please take a look at:

http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-administrator/blog/2013/05/22/upgrading-sap-kernel-from-relea...

and if you want to use 7.21, please look at:

http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-as/blog/2013/08/26/upgrade-of-kernel-from-711-to-721-ext-on-a...

The procedure of using sapcpe is described in both blogs.

Best regards

Willi Eimler

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply.

Read through all notes and Blogs and have below queries -

1) As I understood when we start SAP System SAPCPE automatically  sync Kernel from /sapmnt/SID/exe to /usr/sap/SID/DV*/exe then what is the use of using SAPCPE manually to update kernel in instance directiry. Which is recommended way.

2) We are Upgrading 720_EXT from patch 400 to 600. We do not have hostagent installed but I saw below igs file available in kernel -

igsmux_mt

igsmanifest.mf

igsexe.lst

igswd_mt

igspw_mt

What is the use of igs software, Is it recommended to upgrade igs if we are upgrading only patch level with same release of Kernel.

Regards,

Shivam

willi_eimler
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shivam,

1.)

Yes sapcpe is done automaticaly when system is started. I don't know why it is recommended by sap to do it manually. But this is something comming from god to sap and then to us (admins)

2.)

igs is a grafic tool used by e.g. BI to generate grafics on web sites. I would use the new binaries of igs.

Best regards

Willi Eimler

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The use of sapcpe is mentioned in this SAP note.

1636252 - Installing a 7.20 kernel in SAP Web AS 7.00/7.01/7.10/7.11

The sapcpe program will be called automatically whenever you start the SAP system as the start script does that to ensure that the DIR_EXECUTABLE location to be consistent.

You can trigger the sapcpe program manually and the procedure is mentioned in the above SAP note.

You just need to make sure that there are no left overs from the old version of the kernel.

You can use the sapcontrol to see whether target version of the kernel files are replicated after the kernel update.

sapcontrol -nr 00 -function GetVersionInfo

Note: Replace 00 with the right system number.

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your replies.

Read through all notes and Blogs and have below queries -

1) As I understood when we start SAP System SAPCPE automatically  sync Kernel from /sapmnt/SID/exe to /usr/sap/SID/DV*/exe then what is the use of using SAPCPE manually to update kernel in instance directiry. Which is recommended way.

2) We are Upgrading 720_EXT from patch 400 to 600. We do not have hostagent installed but I saw below igs file available in kernel -

igsmux_mt

igsmanifest.mf

igsexe.lst

igswd_mt

igspw_mt

What is the use of igs software, Is it recommended to upgrade igs if we are upgrading only patch level with same release of Kernel.

Regards,

Shivam

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shivam,

Don't you have /sapmnt/SID shared across CI and app servers. With this you need to update kernel only at one place and it gets reflected everywhere.

Regards,

Deepak Kori