cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spare Sales order stealing stock from a Released production order

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

This is not a new problem. I read the below link only a hundred time now.

Business scenario-

Top Assembly material - XYZ (Let's say Desktop PC), Proc type - E, Plng Strat - 40 (regular MTS scenario)

Sub Assembly material - ABC (Let's say Monitor), Proc type - F, Plng Strat - blank. But we sell this part sometimes (Let's say - customer wants an additional monitor).

Roy is a shop supervisor working on a $1 million Sales order for Top assembly XYZ which is already late and customer is screaming.

He released the production order with no missing parts, printed and fretting to finish this order.

After couple of hours of setup & machine prep - Roy went to pick up the parts and to his surprise material ABC is not available. 

Tina is at shipping department working on a $1000 Sales order that arrive today. System said 'sure you can ship it 3 days in advance'. So created a delivery and shipped it to the customer.

Now, Roy ran TCode: MB52 and found out that Tina just shipped his component ABC.

SAP gave the part ABC to a $1000 sales order and business lost sales on a $1 million order.

Please find the attachment for config screen shots TCode: OPJJ

Sales order Checking rule

Production order Release checking rule

Please help me resolve this issue.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nalla,

Your sales order ATP setting is incorporating 'lead time' in its atp check.  Depending upon the settings in the material master, the sales order could easily 'pass' the availability check and therefore claim the stock, even though the production order had already passed its ATP check.  In your example, sales orders in general have an easier time passing an availability check than your production orders.

If you want production orders to be on an equal footing with sales orders (e.g. sales orders can't steal from production orders and production orders can't steal from sales orders), then both ATP checks should be more or less identical.

If this is not feasible for your business, then you might want to consider changing the nature of the ATP check that is conducted during delivery creation for Sales orders (typically rule B).  Make sure that released production order dependent reservations are considered during the 'B' ATP check.

Both of these solutions have advantages and disadvantages.  The ultimate 'best' solution can only be determined by you, who should FIRST know ALL of the business requirements.

Best Regards,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DB49,

" production orders to be on an equal footing with sales orders" - that's exactly what I want

I don't want sales order or Prod order stealing stock from one another.

But how the 'check without RLT' indicator is going to solve this issue?

I didn'tcompletely understand the exact implications of this check box, yet.

This is my assumption - correct me if I'm wrong:

Prod Order Release has 'Check without RLT' active, that means - it'll let the sales orders (also that are outside the RLT) steal the stock.

In my case, mostly both production order and spare sales order are within the RLT.

So I guess 'check without RLT' has very little impact.

Please help me (it's very confusing at times).

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Praneeth,

There are two separate concepts here.  "How do I ensure that production orders and Sales orders are on an equal footing" and "what is the purpose of 'check without RLT'.

You have an ATP check relevant for Sales orders (checking rule "A" for Make To Stock).  You have an ATP check for production orders (I assume it is checking rule "PP").  If you want these two objects to have equal priority on stock and supplies, then make the two rules (OVZ9 for A and PP) identical.

Now, to RLT.

Prod Order Release has 'Check without RLT' active, that means - it'll let the sales orders (also that are outside the RLT) steal the stock.

Sales orders that are outside RLT will automatically confirm.  "Stealing" stock is a result of combination of the ATP for the sales orders, plus the ATP for the sales order delivery, combined with the ATP for production orders. and any ATP you may have on Goods Issues against a production order.  I cannot possibly tell you what you should do to prevent stealing stock, since there are so many permutations of scenarios that can affect the outcome.

I suggest instead that you give me concrete scenarios, telling me of specific problems, illustrated with screenshots of CO09, and I will help you through one or two specific scenarios.

Best regards,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dogboy,

I'm reviewing through my old posts and came across this ATP discussion and the way you were trying to help the horse drink water.

Now that I'm good at ATP myself I'm learning GATP.

Thank you very much for all the help. Your valuable insight and thought process is marvelous.

Thank you

Answers (0)