cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFW5 business functions activation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Can you please clear the following reg SFW5.

SFW5 activation of business function sets on a newly installed SAP HR EHP7 System.

All components installed on the system will have an entry in SFW5 business function activation?

Business function sets activated in DEV can be transported to QA/PRD or must be started individually.

Required business functions to be activated should be provided from functional team right?

Please clarify..

Balaji

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ps0907
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The transport is your choice.  Activating a business function does not create a transport but there is a menu option in the SFW5 transaction to create a transport which will contain all activated business functions.  This can then be transported to the remaining systems.

The functional team would normally provide the business functions that they need activated. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response.

Any pre activities should be done before activating business functions?

Activation must be done in 000 client?

For reversible business functions also we must flag the planned status and activate?

Kindly clarify.

ps0907
Active Participant
0 Kudos

No specific activities but be sure to have a verified backup before starting.  If you have a sandbox system available for initial activation and testing, that would be a great approach.

Activation should be done in the working client so that client-dependent content is available for use.

Reversible business functions are handled the same as any other business function.  Note that they can only be reversed in development or test systems.  When the client is set to 'live', you cannot deactivate reversible functions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again.

But if thats the case how about the client independent content they will be available in 000 right.

Changes made in sfw5 are client independent right if that is the case how does it impact if we activate in 000 , anyhow the changes activated will also be available in business client?

Please let me know..

ps0907
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The majority of the business functions are client-dependent, supplied as business content.  If you activate in client 000, the additional content and IMG settings will not be available in your login client. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to understand the context here, Business functions include new features and enhancements delivered along with the EHP's and we can activate based on the business needs and usgaes right?

I found this note - 337623 - Customizing after installation or upgrade.

My case here is new installation and under general recommendation below is stated.

• 1. After a new installation

• Technical background: After a new installation, you can unpack BC sets
      before or after a client copy. The unpacked sample Customizing is then also
      copied or you must adjust it afterwards (as described below). SBC, BF, and BFS
      are not activated automatically. You can use transaction SFW5 to activate these
      when you select and activate the required business-type usage areas. The
      client-specific sample Customizing of SBC, BF, BFS is automatically unpacked in
      client 000 during activation and must subsequently be copied to other clients or
      adjusted if required. Transaction SFW5 provides a comparison and adjustment of
      existing Customizing data with switch BC sets (see Note 868771).

• Important: If you have already created your own Customizing in a client and,
      in transaction SFW5 in this client, you choose the menu path 'System Settings'
      -> 'Special Functions' -> 'Special Customizing' to use client-specific SAP
      sample Customizing, your own Customizing may be overwritten! It is essential
      that you use the comparison functions here as described in Note 868771. If this
      'Special Customizing' is then transported with a transport in clients of
      subsequent systems, in which you have already created your own Customizing, this
      may be overwritten!

• General recommendation: If you create further clients in your system from
      client 000 only after you unpack BC sets in client 000 or after you activate
      switch BC sets in client 000 using transaction SFW5, your new client also
      contains the SAP sample Customizing of BC sets, SBC, BF and BFS (Note 550894).

So does this mean the changes should be activated in 000 and they would be transferred to other clients. Please help me understand.

Thanks in advance.

ps0907
Active Participant
0 Kudos

If you activate the business functions in client 000 to avoid the potential overwrite of existing customizing, then you would need to migrate the settings from 000 to your working client using the comparison and adjust function described in the note you listed.  If you were to create a new client as a copy of client 000 after the business functions are activated, you would not have to migrate the settings, since they would be transferred during the client copy operation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Paul. In my scenario I have created a new business client already from a local client copy of sap cust profile alone as recommended by client copy tool.

So now to activate I can use the business client itself right I am just worried as during activation if there are any client independent objects which won't be there in my business client and it shouldn't end up in errors during activation.

So you and other experts might have good experience on this so if you suggest me accordingly I will proceed.

Thanks again.

Answers (0)