cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build dashboarding for PCM data?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How do we make sure we have refreshed data always for building dash board using PCM data?

I am aware that we need to Export to Universe from model builder to access Results table in database.

My question is how can we do it from Books, I know we can schedule jobs for Export to Universe but can we do it online using books.

OR is there a was we can access data without exporting it to database.

So basically how can we build dashboards on data for simulations done in PCM without any latency.

Regards,

Niraj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Niraj,

We built an Excel add-in that enables Excel to access PCM hierarchies and cubes.  It utilizes the MDX Connector that ships with PCM itself and is designed to allow for easy report design & deployment, all within Excel.  We use it for both dashboarding and ad-hoc reporting, basically as an Excel alternative to PCM grids.  Here's some info on it: http://tartansolutions.com/software/mdxls/

Let me know if you're interested in any additional info.

Best,

Mike

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Niraj,

With latency:

- If you use FIM, you can use the function getFIMURL() and let your users run a FIM job

- If you use Databridge/Console files, there must be a way in VB that allows you to run a command to export to universe or database. (In PCM workManager it's using a seperate function called startConsoleJob, don't know if that also works in Book script).

Without latency:

- Use standard MDX connector as Michael pointed out.

- Use BO 4.0 Xcelsius Dashboards with direct connection (uses XMLA web service + MDX)

- Use the new PCM REST connection as of PCM10.0 SP08 to get data in real-time in Excel + write capabilities (or reports in Powerpoint or Word).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jef & Michael,

Thanks for you help.

I have explored using VB to check a flag and schedule the job to run export to Database.

Just wanted to know if we can use standard MDX connector for 3rd part tool as well like qlikview ,tableau,.

I have gone through the MDX help doc on PCM but it doesn't have any detail for connecting 3rd party tool.

Please let me know if there is any documentation on this topic.

Regards,

Niraj