Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompatible objects scenario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Techiies,

I have a complex scenario in my Designer,

Well let me explain my scenario...

I have a main table(not a dimension not a fact) it is joined(NO CARDINALITIES SET) by 7 different table(derived tables). my main table's column are used in result objects and the other table objects are used at Query filter's. Till now every thing was clear

Now the complexity for me was that I have another main table(not a dimension not a fact) and which needs to be joined by same derived tables and the same scenario as above .

I took the help of contexts

1. context - 1 for the first table and respective derived tables

2. context -2 for the second table and respective derived tables.

When i try to build the report I am getting Incompatible objects error OR no data to retrieve ( though the data is available) ...How to over come this scenario.

Thanks in Advance........

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are there any loops in your universe design? Have you tried 'Intergrity Check' and checked?

Can you check the values of columns which you have used for joining? Is there any mismatch?

Sometimes we try to join an integer type column with a character type column which leads to NO results. Typecasting helps in such scenarios.

It could be a possiblity that one of the joins is failing and hence you are getting "no data to fetch".

Reason behind getting Incompatible objects could be picking objects from different contexts.

Regards,

Yuvraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yuvraj,

As Mentioned by you there are 3 scenario's

1. I have not used objects from multiple contexts

2. When I perform the integrity check, (Check for loops) -- I am seeing the message as Loop is covered by (and I am able to see the contexts I have defined) -- Hope it resolved the issue...

3. I have not come across the scenario of Integer to Character Join..........

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check if  "Multiple statements for each context" option is checked under Universe Parameters --> SQL tab.

Also copy and paste the SQL (which is not giving results) in the SQL editor and check where it is failing.

Possible checkpoints could be:

1. Execute a simple count(*) on all tables coming in FROM clause.

2. If #1 is successful, comment the conditions and execute the SQL only with joins.

3. If #2 succeeds, the joins are defined properly. If #2 fails, there is one or few joins which are not returning data even the tables have data.

4. If #2 succeeds, check the conditions in WHERE clause one by one and check which condition is not giving data.

Hope it will help.

Regards,

Yuvraj

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which tables are your measures derived from?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Look closely at the filters you've defined. An "incompatible objects" error generally happens when you are including objects in the filter section of a data provider which are not accessible in all the contexts the DP needs to use.

When you say that you either get an "incompatible objects" error message or you get empty results, could you explain when you get the first issue and when you get the second? 

former_member183330
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Please provide screen shots of your design.

Thanks,

G Sampath Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sampath,

The join is exactly as I described above and there is no specific scenario I have opted....

former_member183330
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

are you using aggregate awareness in your universe, if so check the aggregate navigation.

Maybe here you defined the objects as incompatable.

Thanks,

G Sampath Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Sampath,

I am not using aggregate awareness function in my universe