cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instance status "Unknown"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Trying to get BW 7.4 on HANA trial on CAL. I've selected AWS as service provider, created instance for HANA under EC2 on AWS. I've also created new IAM group and user. Downloaded the access key and used it to register on CAL.

Now when I try to start instance, status is shown as unknown. I see only SAP Frontend with Green Status and SAP Server is not started.

I can do remote desktop and see the Application but cannot login as DB is not available.

what is missing?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

have you checked if the instances are up and running in your AWS account? You can do that when you access the EC2 webconsole from AWS directly.

Also, after you created a new AWS account it may be the case that your account may not have the correct limits to start cr1.8xlarge or r3.8xlarge instance types.

Anyway, what does the EC2 console tell you? How many instances are running there?

Regards,

Hannes

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

are you still facing this issue?

Regards,

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hannes,

I'm still facing the problem. Today I deleted both AWS account and instance and tried to register fresh. But somehow AWS account is not getting activated now.

Is there any other alternative for me to connect and use trial BW 7.4 system?

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

What do you mean with "delete AWS account"? Did you removed it from the CAL or did you really delete your AWS account? Again, it could be the case that your AWS account has limits set to 0 which don't allow you to start cr1.8xlarge or r3.8xlarge instances. Have you checked that already?

Also, after starting the BW Trial in CAL, what does the EC2 webconsole show? 1 or 2 instances?

I need you to provide more information, without that nobody can help you ...

Regards,

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hannes,

I used below steps:

1. Login AWS, created account and completed validation. Created IAM user, specified the required roles in the group.

2. Login HANA on trial. Created new account with AWS as service provider and tried to activate the instance.

Is there any step in AWS I'm missing? I don't see any documentation on what need to be done on AWS side. Can you provide details on this?

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

unfortunately it is really not clear to me what you are doing - so let me try to rephrase my understanding. Please confirm my understanding or rephrase better what you did ...

you:

1) created an AWS account

2) created an IAM group with the 4 mandatory permissions in this AWS account

3) created a user in this IAM group

4) generated the access and the secret key for this user

5) logged into cal.sap.com with your SCN user ID

6) navigated to the ACCOUNTS tab and clicked on "create account"

7) entered the access and secret key and finished the account creation

😎 navigated to the SOLUTIONS tab

9) selected a free solutions (e.g. HANA DevEdition) and accepted the terms and conditions

10) clicked on CREATE INSTANCE and worked through the guided procedure

11) finished the procedure and stored the ssh keys

And now you are saying that something went wrong. Could you at least post a screenshot of what is going on, for example the error message you get would be beneficial before we can move forward.

Regards,

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hannes,

Just came back to country. I followed all your steps as above.

1. Created fresh account with AWS.

2. Created new IAM group with below four mandatory permissions.

3. Created user in this IAM group.

Signup for BW 7.4 on HANA trial account on cal.sap.com

added the above AWS account.

created new instance and tried to activate the instance. I'm still getting Instance Unknown error.

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

that's odd. Let me ask you, what is the CAL tenant ID (you see it in the URL after logon). I would like to ask the team to check the logfiles in your particular case. Having your tenant ID allows us to search faster.

Thanks and Regards,

Hannes

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

can you please switch the view to "List View" and check if there is a red exclamation mark on the left side of the screen next to the symbol?

Regards,

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hannes,

Tenant ID : XYW5T9NEP7DZ

I don't see anything red mark in status. here is screenshot.

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So the SAP Server (Instance type: r3.8xlarge) does not come up, it stays in white status.

Can you try to start an empty instance on the AWS webconsole using the instance type r3.8xlarge? My assumption is, that your new account does not have sufficient limits to start this instance type.

Regards,

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Question.

Outside below 4 steps is there anything I've to do on AWS?

1) created an AWS account

2) created an IAM group with the 4 mandatory permissions in this AWS account

3) created a user in this IAM group

4) generated the access and the secret key for this user

I see from yesterday, AWS has charged me for services. I assume it is able to connect..

Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud running Windows
per On Demand Windows m2.xlarge Instance Hour
hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

as outlined in the user guide, the solution in CAL has 2 instance types. Once of it can be started (m2.xlarge), the other one not (r3.8xlarge). Please check the instance limits of your AWS account. I assume that your AWS account has a limit and it not entitled to start an instance of the r3.8xlarge type.

Regards,

Hannes

former_member196674
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You can check for your limits directly on your AWS account (specify the region):

https://console.aws.amazon.com/ec2/v2/home?region=us-east-1#Limits: