Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting global level Portal timeout of 4 hours

Amey-Mogare
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

We want to establish a global level timeout of 4 hrs for Portal.

For example, lets say a user logs onto Portal and do not perform any action/clicks for 4 hours.

And then, after 4 hours, when user click on any tab/link on Portal, it should show "session expired" or "session timed out" or something similar message.

Could you please advise how this can be achieved?

Thanks & Regards,

Amey Mogare

PS:

But any action performed within this 4 hours time, lets say user logs onto Portal at 3.00pm and performs first action/click at 4.00pm, it should work and timeout/session-not-found message should not be shown.

This is well handled & is working fine for us using information from thread

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Amey,

Hope you are doing good.

There are several ways this can be done. Please have a look at note: 842635 Session Management for Web Dynpro Application.
Here you have to be aware of these points:

1. security session time out value set in milliseconds in visual admin determines the termination of the portal and all web dynpro applications as a whole It is independently from any user interactions.

2. The expiration of Running a particular web dynpro application is Determined by the following parameters in that priority order
2.1 IDE only set for per running application basis

2.2 Default setting for all web dynpro applications in seconds. They

are defined in:

Visual Administrator -> Services -> Server -> ConfigurationAdapter ->

WebDynpro ->sap.com ->tc~wd~dispwda ->Propertysheet default. The

property DefaultExpirationTime contains the default timeout value for

all Web Dynpro applications in seconds.

So depending on your need, you can configure this.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,

Hemanth

SAP AGS

Amey-Mogare
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Hemanth,

Thank you for elaborate & helpful reply.

We want to set session timeout for entire Portal, not specific to Web Dynpro framework.

Hence, I think point#1 from your reply, is the one I should focus on.

Is below correct way to set this?

Configuring Session Management - Portal - SAP Library

Thanks & Regards,

Amey Mogare

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Amey,

Sorry I thought this was a SAP NW 7.00 server.
You are right. There are several other properties that can be vital here. Please check below note for more all the parameters available:

1773124 - Application timeout and session expiration setting possibilities in Netweaver AS Java 71X ...

Kind Regards,

Hemanth

Amey-Mogare
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Hemanth,

Thanks. We have set this property on our CE7.3 EHP1 SP9 Portal and its under monitoring.

I will update the thread with the results we get.

Thanks & Regards,

Amey Mogare

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Great Amey, Please keep us posted.
I am not sure whether you use a web dispatcher in your landscape; but please check the note 824554  - ICM and SAP Web Dispatcher Timeout Parameter as well (the ICM settings in general).

Amey-Mogare
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Hemanth,

We have applied the change mentioned in below point on our portal, but it doesn't have any effect.  Configuring Session Management - Portal - SAP Library

Perhaps it is due to the fact that we have Web Dispatcher in our landscape, as mentioned by you in your reply.

I went through sapnote-824554 and realized it talks about below 3 parameters: -

1. icm/conn_timeout

2. icm/keep_alive_timeout

3. icm/server_port_< n >

I am still not sure which one to set.

We want to set 4 hours as global level timeout for our entire Portal. And it is OK for us that user would see an error page if he keeps Portal idle for 4 hours.

Could you please suggest which one of these would be suitable for us to set?

Thanks & Regards,

Amey Mogare

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Amey,

As the note 842635 states,

"

The termination of the Portal and all Web Dynpro applications as a whole is defined by the Security Session timeout.

This is an absolute timeout value, e.g. the default is about 27h, that always terminates the whole security session after the defined period of time independtly from any user interaction.

"

Check the parameter "SessionExpirationPeriod' in configtool(you will find it in the same location as "sessionTimeout" and set it correctly.

Also check SAP Note No. 1644347; there is a bug due to which the sessions do not get closed on the WD end.

Also, it is the portal that is responsible for notifying the engine about the session termination, at the time when the user executes any event which should trigger the session termination, such as portal log off and closing the browser window.

This task is accomplished by the portal through the use of the portal DSM mechanism, which is responsible by notifying the Engine about the session termination. In regards to this portal mechanism, we have to take the following SAP KBA into account:

1660720 - Session remains open after the logoff on enterprise portal

Check this thoroughly.

Regards,
Hemanth

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amey,

Please set the SessionExpirationPeriod as per the sapnote 1918699 - Setting Session Timeout for web dynpro and J2EE applications.

This will solve your issue.

by default the session expiration periods is 27 hrs. The value needs to be in milisecond.

regards,

Vinie

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You can change this parameter via configtool or /NWA.
I would personally recommend configtool; that too once you have stopped the cluster and then make the change.