cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

universe design

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello team

i want to know that if i use SAP HANA as Database and do data modelling.Now Is there any need of Universe design for making reports.

Thanks & Regards

Ankit Jain

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You do not create a universe (unv/unx) for BEx queries, which retrieve the metadata from the data source. The Web Intelligence is connecting to a BEx query by using a BICS (BI Consumer services) connection, and retrieve data via the BEx query for reporting purposes.

You can define a BICS connection with the CMC or define a BICS connection to a BEx query in the information design tool.

Hope this helps,

Jin-Chong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks JinChong for your reply.I m not using Business Warehouse in this.How can i get BEx Query.

Is SAP HANA Generate BEx Query? When i do Data Modelling in SAP HANA.

Regards

Ankit Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankit,

If you are going to use Webi as a reporting tool then you need to create Universe on top of HANA.

Please see below link will help you to understand reporting on HANA as a database.

http://events.asug.com/2012AC/0309_HANA_Connectivity_and_Best_Practices_with_SAP_BusinessObjects.pdf

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50c2b4e1-c7be-2f10-1ca2-e10d95314...

~Anuj

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Anuj is right if you plan to connect to Hana and fetch data into webi, you'd need a JDBC/ODBC connection plus a universe while Explorer and Crystal Report 2013 can connect to Hana without universe.

If you plan to do data model on top of SAP BW, use BICS connection.

Hope this helps,

Jin-Chong

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi anuj thanks for your reply.It means Whenever we use web intelligence as a reporting tool in any scanerio we have to create universe.

Thanks & Regards

Ankit Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi anuj

One thing more Can we create BICS connection in IDT while connecting Web intelligence reporting tool to SAP HANA.Because data modelling is done in SAP HANA and we can skip universe by making BICS connection.

Thanks & Regards

Ankit Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankit,

BICS connection is not supported for SAP HANA database, we have to use relational connection(JDBC) in IDT to connect to SAP HANA database.

We can create relational universe in IDT on top of SAP HANA tables and views.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi thanks for your reply it means Whenever we use web intelligence as a reporting tool to connect SAP HANA database we have to create universe and for other reporting tool like crystal,explorer we dnt need create the universe.

And finally there is no benfit of data modelling in SAP HANA if we use Web intellegence as reporting tool.

Thanks & Regard

Ankit jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankit,

Whenever we use web intelligence as a reporting tool to connect SAP HANA database we have to create universe, and for other tools like Crystal and explorer, I am not aware of whether we have to create Universe or not if we use SAP HANA database as a source.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ravi i understand and it means there is no need of data modelling in SAP HANA if i use web intelligence tool.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ankit,

If you use any reporting tool like Webi,Crystal and explorer, should do data modelling in SAP HANA on top of tables like Attribute, analytical and calculation views.