ClassCharacteristic
APPEARENCECOLOUR
APPEARENCESIZE
INHERITSIZE
CUSTOMIZECOLOUR

BOM for material A is as follows:

PositionTpPTp.posTp.Class
10KL200INHERIT

B has a configuration profile "PROFILE".

Within "PROFILE" there is a dependency of type "procedure" whose code is:

$SELF.COLOUR = $PARENT.COLOUR.

Simulations with CU50 results in the following error: "CX051", whereas changing BOM positon 10 to tpP: L instead of TpP: K succeed.

In other words B is able to inherit characteristic colour from A if and only if explicitly placed in BOM with type position L.

This is just a simplified example of my actual case and I need to configure a BOM element that I am not able to know statically. Does anyone know how to make this BOM work as expected with position K?

Ask me for further details. Thanks in advance!

Carlo Alberto

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Carlo Alberto Fabbretti

didn't understand your issue correctly, i can see the VC model you described is combination of class node as well as super BOM.

what's item B in below table? does item B have two classes assigned of type 200 as well as 300 ?

MaterialClassType
AAPPEARENCE300

B

INHERIT200
BCUSTOMIZE300

It seems Material A is FERT and it have class node INHERIT as component in BOM with category K.

If my understanding is correct till this point, i didn't understand why you need 2 class type attached to B , if you want to replace class node INHERIT by material B? specialy i can see you can replace INHERIT by assigning a correct SIZE value, but what do you want to achive by passing colour from parent to self is not clear, and may be the reason for inconsistance and error you are getting.

please check and reply , also go through Document i created on Class nodes in BOM, may be it will help you explain what VC model i know by using class nodes.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ritesh,

thanks for your consideration. I am very familiar with your document as it is the first result in my searches.

Regard item B: correct, it has assigned two classes: class INHERIT of type 200 and class CUSTOMIZE of type 300.

In my system I have several items like B, say B1...Bn. Each of them can be selected as child of A depending on "SIZE" characteristic value.

Hence I need class INHERIT to pick the correct B.

Moving forward, once chosen the proper B I need to assign a colour to it. The value of the colour is contained in the COLOUR characteristic of material A, its parent.

is there a way I can do this all without a 300 class?  where do I place B.COLOUR characteristic?

How do I inherit a.COLOUR value?

In your document I can't find a way to configure a child item picked up with class 200,,,

Best regards!

Carlo Alberto

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In the document i shared all the BOM components are class type 200 maintained as nodes in BOM as well as material which are replacing them have class 200 , please check it again.

I am not sure if by saying child you want to say a component one level below B then class node is not the correct model for such structure.

is there a way I can do this all without a 300 class?  where do I place B.COLOUR characteristic?

How do I inherit a.COLOUR value?

Do one test , put characterstic COLOUR along with SIZE in same class INHERIT  of 200 , also maintained same values for material master classification view.

example, you will assign value 11 & 22  to materila A for size & colur, it will be passed to B as 11 & 22 in corresponding characterstic , you will not need class 300 for B.

Thanks

Ritesh

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

CU50 configuration:

result:

position K 300 is not resolved.

Configuration of position 080000100, notice difference in ESZ and COLORS char in the two

Also notice that the set of characteristics is different.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Carlo Alberto Fabbretti,

I got your point by different set of characterstic & values, but its the configuration live data.

You can do oen thing , create a sales order and after assigning all this values click on result button same as CU50 screen , I am sure you will get same result there too. But when you go into plan orde ror production order it have configuration referance number, which is CUOBJ.

When i asked you about bOM usage its for checking BOM explosion hirarchy, PP01 first explore BOM with usage 3 then BOM with usage 1, if your second level BOM is not of usage 1 you will not get a BOM explosion.

Thanks

Ritesh

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Carlo Alberto Fabbretti,

have you got it fix?

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check this out: both planned orders have the same CUOBJ!

the two planned order refer to material 080000222 and 080000100 as you can verify in previous posted screenshots.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Carlo Alberto Fabbretti,

see the results from my prototype, it may help you analyzing your issue.

sales order created for material super bike which is parent, it have class node appearance in side it , maintained as K in bom and replaced bu material as L once converted in production.

Material Appearance have component special in its BOM as class node and which get picked when parent super bike have value 22 for characterstic special.

sales orde rcreated, MRP run and below is the MD04

below is the plan order for parent and its characterstic assignment

now when i try to seen config values in child plan order  , whcih is appearance

it shows same classification instance as parents , so it proves CUOBJ for parent is getting copied here and thats why we can see same classification instance.

but the component picked it corect, which is material special for this prototype.

so for me its working fine, as i can convert tghis plan orders in production order and move further. 

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Things in my scenario are a little bit different:

080000222 and 080000100 have both class type 300.

In 080000222 BOM I have a position N that explicitly specifies material 080000100 (and not position K and class 200).

Material 080000100 BOM has a position K.

Position K in 080000100 BOM  uses characteristics in class 300 of material 080000100.

Material 080000100 characteristics values are inherited and derived from characteristics in class 300 of material 080000222.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Carlo Alberto Fabbretti,

in one of you previous reply you specified that you have put 080000100 3 times using K L N, have you removed other 2 positions while running a new test?

in my model its working fine with K , so use only K position for 080000100 if using class node 200 otherwise use N if using directly material 080000100 in bom of  080000100.

in this whole discussion , i lost whats the issue when you say its not working in production?

does the only issue remain is BOM for 080000100 not getting exploded , for CUOBJ i already confirm its same in my model and it works fine as it supplied the required value from parent to child.

few more question , do you have characterstic which is not inherit from top parent but from second level KMAT?

also , whats the BOM usage value for BOM not exploding?

please check and reply.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, just to experiment I removed position K because I couldn't make it work (class 200 + 300 using the 200 to find the material and 300 to inherit configuration characteristics). Furthermore I removed position L because in planned order it didn't show at all the configuration (not even a wrong one). So, in conclusion I am left with position N only.

Issues:

1. Characteristics in 080000100 are different than in 080000222: some of them are derived.(i.e. Charact. ESZ in child is different than char ESZ in parent and depends on FA9 on parent).
  2. BOM not exploded for 080000100 (2nd level KMAT)
  3. 2nd level BOM (material 080000100) depends on configuration of material 080000100 (in particular characteristic ESZ among others) hence
  4. 3rd level ESZ (in class 200) refers to ESZ in 2nd level material potentially different from 1st level ESZ
  5. Usage is always pp01 for all BOMs
  6. I need configuration values in 2nd level to pilot routing operations as well

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Best regards

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Issues:

1. Characteristics in 080000100 are different than in 080000222: some of them are derived.(i.e. Charact. ESZ in child is different than char ESZ in parent and depends on FA9 on parent).
  2. BOM not exploded for 080000100 (2nd level KMAT)
  3. 2nd level BOM (material 080000100) depends on configuration of material 080000100 (in particular characteristic ESZ among others) hence
  4. 3rd level ESZ (in class 200) refers to ESZ in 2nd level material potentially different from 1st level ESZ
  5. Usage is always pp01 for all BOMs
  6. I need configuration values in 2nd level to pilot routing operations as well

1) all the characterstic values should come from top to botto, ie, parentys to child.

I didnt understand when you say FA9 on parent, please include this characterstic in class of parent so that user can assign values to them while configuring parent material.

2) does BOM explosion is working fine in simulation (CU50) ..?

whast usage type for BOM ie 3 , 1 , 5 etc?

3) if you are using same characterstic at differnt levels of BOM it will hold same value once it get a value from parent same wil be inherit to below level, so if you need different values pelase sue different charactertsic.

4) configuration values are hild by class 300, if you have a valid configuration profile as well as class type 300 at every level it will hold the values and supplied to process as and when required.

I still think you should use catagory K instead of N and it will work.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos
  1. Of course FA9 is included in parent (in the screenshot you can't see it 'cause its below the end of the page). I perfectly understand that inheritance goes from top to bottom.
  2. BOM explosion is working like a charm in cu50. Usage type is 1.
  3. I don't think it works the way you say, I.E. please consider dependency:
    $SELF.A = $PARENT.B, $SELF.B = $PARENT.A
    Furthermore no characteristic is inherited from parent without explicit assignment through procedure, as far as I know.

I don't understand how using position K could help me: how does the K position get replaced by a proper material if the characteristics aren't specified? Material A has all the characteristics specified by the user. Material B has alla characteristics not specified (has to inherit it). when the BOM explodes it doesn't find any child who satisfies the configuration set. We can discuss this more in details if you think it might work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ritesh,

nice to hearing from you again!

First, ZMATERIALE characteristic is not inherited especially because of 2 reasons:

1)

As you can notice, ZMATERIALE points to MATNR (material number) field in table VBAP.

2)

There is no ZMATERIALE in 080000100 material

As you can see, the configuration of material 080000100 in the production order is in reality a mere copy of 080000222's one (DMY, DMZ, LRG and so on don't even appear in 080000100's classification).

Best regards

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Carlo Alberto Fabbretti,

Thanks for pic's, it seems the CUOBJ for parent is getting copied into loer level and thats why you are gtting this issue.

Please check CUOBJ value for both the plan order in plan order table.

Let me check , if i can find some relevant note on same.

By the way , whats planing strategy used in lower level material?

Thanks

Ritesh

Ritz
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried with strategy 25, wich one should I use?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Problem NOT solved.

I was wrong, whereas on the CU50 the inheritance works like a charm in the MD04 it fails. Let me introduce the scenario.

My configurable material is the 080000222. Here a list of characteristics, some of which I'd like to inherit in its child material.

BOM for material 080000222. Position 0080 and 0100 refers to configurable material 080000100. I tried to include it with both position L and N (just to see the difference).

here its profile

Here is the list of ALL characteristics of material 080000100

Then after a sales order, MD02 let's look at the production order

No bom explosion for material 080000100. WHY?

Let's check configuration for both 222 and 100:

ok!

But for material 080000100

Wrong characteristics set! It refers to material 080000222.

What's wrong?

In CU50 configuration works:

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

sorry to hear that, please post pic of classification view for material 080000100.

also i didnt understand the mistake in ZMATERIALE characteristic value ? why you said its wrong, its showing same value as parent and its how inheritance works, same value passed from parent to child.

I think if it working fine in simulation , it should work in practical too.

I wish i could have access your system but i cant , so lets try to solve here step by step.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

there is a K position PAINT in B's BOM that refers to characteristc B.clour.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Carlo Alberto Fabbretti,

I never come accross multilevel configuration setup using class nodes, and it seems you have that setup at your place.

So can you please some more insight on same.?

Are you trying to research on this setup as prototype or its already working and have issues with few products?

I belive we use class nodes for scenarios where characterstic values are getting added very ofen and we want to avoid adding compoents for every new value.

As per my knowledge , if you have multilevel KMAT's more appropiate VC structure is using Super BOM terminology.

One last experiment, please change item category to N instead of K and then check in both the BOM's where you have assign nodes.

Also i hope in both the BOM's the class nodes are different not same.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess I am facing a multilevel KMAT. My prototype is not working.

Although I have several other multilevel KMAT working properly when BOM position is of type L and not K (when the node is a material and not a characteristic).

Char values are not being added very often but I have many material very similar to each other. Using Super BOM with class node every time one value is being added the BOMs of all material get automatically updated.

Finally I can't add a N category to class position.

thanks for your support

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Carlo Alberto Fabbretti

Its what i expected , its not common to use nodes for multilevel explosion.

But I have a good news too, for you.

I did some quick test and below are result.

Its the same material i used in my document, and try to build a multilevel KMAT structure out of it.

Check the attached result screen, confirm its what you are looking for.

Also do mark replies helpful if it helps you.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ritesh,

great result! I am wondering how you did it. does the first KMAT level carry out information about the colour? Does it inherit it from the parent? Is it possible tu use it for routing? I need to pass the colour information to production as well.

Best Regards!!

Carlo Alberto

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Carlo Alberto Fabbretti,

Ya , its what passed down from parents to child through inheritance.

I couldnt get time to include routings in my quick test, but i am sure it will work as it works with BOM's.

You can get my mail id from my profile and send me your VC model straucture and i can look and try to locate the missing part.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very kind of you Ritesh,

can you please do me one more favour and point me to some resource where I can find how to export such model?

Best Regards!

CA

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Carlo Alberto Fabbretti,

If you are asking about any document or link , there is none available.

It just the SAP help from where i build my first model explanied in SDN document.

I will create it as 2 nd part to my document soon, Time is the constraint at my end.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ritesh,

I can't find yuur email ID in your profile and I am proceeding to do a listo of screenshot in order to show you my model. I have no idea how to export my VC model structure otherwise.

Is that ok?

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Carlo Alberto Fabbretti,

I changed the settings and make it visible, now please check in my profile.

Ya , screen shots will work , if i need any more information i can reply you back.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ritesh,

I have very good news: working on your model I tried to change the material type of the second level item... and it worked!

Thank you very much for your support!

Best Regards

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thats good, Congratulations

By the way i didnt understand how material type was affecting this?

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Me neither!

At one point I just stop asking why and thank SAP's God for letting things work...

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can understand , its best that i started working.

reasons you can analyze later.

a good news is always a best thing to start or end week .

Please clsoe the thread, marking replies helpful if it helps you.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ritesh,

thanks again for your answer. I tried what you suggested but as expected the position K won't be resolved because, of course, there is no material B with colour 12 (of course I can't create a material for each colour since it is a very large number).

Best!

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Carlo Alberto Fabbretti,

Can you please share whats the relevance of characteristic color in the example you share, may be after understanding that i can suggest some thing.

Also I am asking again do you have a configurable BOM below Material B where you want to pass on this characteristic value for colour to perform selection or components etc?

Thanks

Ritesh