cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Several issues with CR and Visual Studio 2010 Pro, parameters, missing data, memory issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

CR version 13.0.2

I am developing an application for a single user that runs locally on the user's computer, there is not any network issue here.

It is a client billing application that uses CR for creating monthly invoices, and additional forms, from an invoice table in the Access Database (mdb).

The application creates, then saves, the invoice information for each client in a Windows Form. It then brings up, first, the invoice in a new Windows Form using CR viewer, then the accompanying form, again in a new Windows Form using CR viewer. Before each new Windows Form is created, the current one is closed. The parameter for the invoice number is passed to the CR report.

There can be anywheres from 5 to 60 invoices, and the accompanying forms, that need to be created, then saved as PDF files.

The issues that I have been running into are:

1) Not all new invoices, CR reports, read, or accept, the invoice number passed to it from previous forms, and thus demands manual input for the parameter. Sometimes it works fine, other times it does not.

2) After a few invoices have been created in CR, they start to appear as blank forms, with just the formatted text on them. The client invoice data is missing.

3) After a while I have received a message from CR that there is not enough memory to create the new report. I have looked through this forum and others, and because of what I have found, I have added in "Me.Dispose" before "Me.Close" for the CR forms. I doubt if this will help, as supposedly the "Me.Close" will dispose of the memory used by the form.

Has anyone else run into any of these issues? Has anyone else been able to resolve these issues?

Thank you for taking the time to read through this, even if you cannot help me.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are almost there with the .close and .dispose. However I'd recommend that you do this explicitly on the report objects - before you do so on the form.

E.g.;

myReport.Close

myReport.Dspose

Then worry about closing the form.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canad

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mr. Uher,

Thank you.

By adding in the myReport.Close and myReport.Dispose, issues number 2 and 3 both seem to have been resolved. I tested it out on a previous month's work where these issues arose and everything seemed to work fine.

Issue number 1 still crops up, and is more of an annoyance than hindrance in running this function. For each invoice, as it is saved to the database, and before the CR forms are called up, the programme copies the invoice number to the clipboard, so it is only a matter of pasting it in if the parameter is requested.

I would still like it to not ask for the parameter, but for now it is not a major issue.

I will leave this as unanswered for the next few days to see if anyone has an explanation regarding the parameter issue.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Re. missing parameter values.

This error can be taken at face value. The only time I have ever seen the error thrown is when the parameter is indeed missing (other than bug or two we used to have - now fixed). The fact that this is happening on occasion tells me that this may be a data issue of some sort. E.g; NULLs?.

What I would recommend is that you enable the options "Verify on fist refresh" and "Verify stored procedures on fist refresh".

And see if "Convert to NULL" option will change the behavior.

One last thing. Enter the search string 'crystal net parameter missing' into the search box in the top right corner. When the results come back, filter for "Support Notes" (left side of page).

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mr. Uher,

Thank you for your help.

I have made the modifications in the report options as you have suggested and will try them out.

I will mark this as solved. If I require more help I will start another thread specific to that issue.

Thank you.

Answers (0)